Quake Champions

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    The new map is difficult and quite vertical. I don't know if I like it that much tbh.

2. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    This latest update causes me to crash to desktop frequently :( I'm lucky if I can get through a match right now. I wonder if updating my video drivers may help...

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    No harm trying right? I have ASUS RX 470 Strix and the newest drivers have been fine for me.

4. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    The FOV in this game is ridiculous. I had to bring it back to 100 which is the lowest it allows. Jesus, if you leave it at default it's like living with 4 eyes. Annoying. Game is alright, played a bit this weekend. Free so I can't complain. I wouldn't pay $29.99 for this. I wouldn't pay $19.99. Seems like Q3 Arena with some new elements and new, yet already aged graphics engine.

5. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    A few days ago i wanted to play 1vs1 against a friend. Then i found out you can only do this (custom games) if you own the Champaions Pack which is the mentioned 30 bucks....meh!!!

I started to play this game last year ago but didnt like it much back then. Recently i started to play properly. If someone is playing this game like daily, you can add me (pm). I used to play Q3A at ESL but need to get a feeling for the new quake. Its getting better each day. :D

SerotoNiN likes this.
  6. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Graphics and memorable gameplay aside, THIS ^^^^^

My biggest issue with this game is how long it takes to get a match in place...when it does.

7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    No problems here, max 1:30 min so far. Playtime 19hrs. Check your servers at the globe icon at the bottom. I even deselect a few with ping over 110ms. So i have like 6 green and 2 yellow max. 100ms. (I could check later..)
    TDM tho, played FFA only 1 match and one duel.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  8. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    OK. So I gave this game some proper time this weekend and I actually like it. I have a few questions because I'm a n00b to this game. What's with ranked matches? It's grayed out for me. I can only play unranked matches. Is this an exclusive $29.99 purchase like having all available characters and being able to make a custom game? Or do I need to hit a certain amount of XP to open it up?

I originally hated a lot of the additions they added as it gave the impression of a pay to win. I still think certain aspects should not be behind a monetary system, but it's not as bad as I originally thought. The game has morphed into something old and something new. I wish there were more maps. I have chosen multiple servers and still wait up to 10 minutes to get into a match sometimes, regardless of type, DM, TDM, etc. But on the positive side, it's fun and intense, this game has a lot of elements that UT4 Alpha was sorely missing. I'm also impressed at how fluid this runs maxed out at 4k. I think I will end up paying the $30 for this game. I'd just like to know they plan on creating something bigger here and not just kind of trickling out updates now and moving to something else. UT4 Alpha dropped out and I worry this will happen again. Fortnite became a massive success and epic crap all over anything else they were doing.

9. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    About the ranked matches, you need level 10 i think, then its unlocked. You need to play 10 matches, each Duel and 2vs2 TDM to qualify.

Today i played 2vs2 TDM the 1st time with a friend - it was a funny match. One thing, when we had quad, they hid somewhere :-| - we didnt hid when they had quad - and the end we lost. ^^

FFA (DM) they mostly vote for instagib, so classic DM is very rare on my site..

I still dont understand why its taking so long for you to find a match. How many servers are you connected to? Maybe US has less servers/players at all?

SerotoNiN likes this.
  10. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Yeah. I dunno what is up with the match making. I hit "play" and then use the can or get a soda, tool around for a few minutes - I come back and 9 time out of 10, it's still searching for a game. I've tried changing the servers. No luck. It is beta still, I just contribute it to some sort of bug. Thanks for the info on the ranked matches. All I have been playing are TDM. So I for sure need to get into Duel and get 10 matches down. Glad I know to do this now, thanks for the heads up. This is an interesting game. UT4 Alpha felt like a complete UT99 rip-off with upgraded graphics. Quake feels like Quake 3 Arena, if it were made in 2018. There's just enough nostalgia for old fans like me that played Q3A, but just enough new stuff for it to also feel like a brand new game and have a learning curve. It's impressive how they were able to balance both. I never felt UT4 felt "updated", it was the same thing with a new coat of paint and thoughtlessly pushed out far ahead of even alpha standards. Bethesda impressed me here.

Anyone that hates this game, give it a few tries. It's a bit daunting at first because it seems like too much has changed. It's just enough, not too much. Ironic this is what is getting me through a gaming dry spell right now.

11. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    I completely agree. Like i said before when i played the game ~1 year ago i didnt like it. I played Quake3 in ESL back then with my clan, kind of successful so i had to give this game another chance.
    Now after 37 hours i can say, the old feeling is coming back and theres definitely a nostalic feeling. Like you know all the stuff already but the new mechanics makes it kind of interesting (like you said especialyl for new quake players) to play a different style.
    With all the new skills in this game for each different character theres more variety in playstyles which is a good thing.

A fellow guru3d member ive been playing with the last few days didnt like that all at 1st but now i have a feeling hes more open to it - since i explained him also some stuff. ;) Maybe when hes seeing this hes gonna reply. :p

He would have loved the game more if it were like quake3, an arena shooter with no skills, etc. i told him, todays generation wont have fun with that anymore thus it wont sell well. Times are changing. And thats why no developer or especially publisher wont support a classic arena shooter.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  12. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
  13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    @SerotoNiN
    Like they said, when you start the game, click the globe at the bottom of the screen to check which servers you're connected to. I've personally only selected EU servers and I always matchmake TDM within 1 minute.

Sure, I've noticed that they've lost a lot of players some weeks after the free trial that they announced during E3 but it should still not take long to find one.

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So after playing some of the heroes, I gotta say BJ is still my favorite. His special in my opinion is one of the best in a clutch moment.

DSparil likes this.

16. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Playing BJ now, too. But his ability has a shorter duration. And when hes getting hit, his aching shouts are annoying. ^^

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    This game is going downhill once again. Nothing but pro players left so as a casual it's just an ownage fest. The TDM with Bots saves the day but on the other hand the bots are quite easy to beat.

18. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    :eek::eek::eek:

Wow, I'd have to completely disagree with you here. I've been winning more matches than ever, because there seems to be more new people playing due to the FREE Steam access and the new goodies. Not to mention, the Death Knight is a lot of fun to use. I am enjoying that active ability of his now, because I have a feeling they're going to nerf it soon lol. But seriously, I think its better than ever at the current time with a more diverse player based than before. There was a time where it seemed like all semi-pro or pro, but that was many months ago.

19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Actually, that complaint... has popped up again and again since the game's first release.
    People are happy with it for a bit, then for a while... people complain there's too many "pro players"... then, people are happy with new players, then... pro players.

It's Quake. There will always be that give and take, and sadly, some players will find themselves in a crappy string of matches against much better, more experienced players while other players will stumble into more balanced fights.

ShadowDuke likes this.
  20. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^ This is true. It's just the ebb and flow of an online arena shooter type game. It is also subjective. New people are going to continue playing the game, improve and become a greater challenge, while others will drop off. It's just the nature of it. I can confidently say that of late, I have not been having the "can't win, everyones too good" experience though.