Quake 4 on Radeon 9000 PRO

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by vbetts, Jul 4, 2006.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is my first post, but I want to make it a good one. I don't exactly have the money for upgrades, nor do I really need them right now, but I'm running on what you would call a low-end system at it's specs right now. Rofl.

But, I've got myself knowledge on the D3 engine, moddifing textures abit, and making custom made config files to run on a low end system.

Now, Quake 4 only supports the Radeons 9700 and up, but I've got it working perfectly on this system.Quake 4 also requires a 2.0 ghz CPU.Again, no problem with that. Quake 4 needs 512 mb.That, I agree with.Won't lie on that. But now, the rest of the topic.

ATI Catalyst settings.
    AA-Let App decide
    AF-Let App decide
    Texture Preference-Quality
    MipMap Detail Level-Quality
    Wait for Verticle Refresh-Off, Unless APP specifies

QUAKE 4 settings
    Graphic settings-High Quality
    Specular-On
    Bump Mapping-on
    640x480(Thought it was 800x600, but it's not.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now, the only problems I'm facing, are minor.

1.The D3 engine is unstable, and sometimes when it starts up, textures are rendered wrong and look terrible.(Which I still don't understand how, since it should be rendered automaticly to what I set)D3 engine problem.Not Q4.Does the same with D3.

2.Lighting.When you flash the light on your allies, their face just looks pale and no detail.When you are outside and you look in certain directions, the ground gets really bright.I'm working on a patch to fix that.

I tried premade config files, and they didn't work for me. So, I altered the textures alittle, and made a config file.So you won't get as good performance as me. Here is my config file.

To use this CFG file, open up a new notepad, copy and past this into your notepad, save it as autoexec.cfg and put it in the q4base folder.THIS CFG file is made for Radeon 9000, and 8500 models.You can use this for the Radeon 9200-9500, BUT you can get way better performance on them on a tweaked CFGs.NOTE-THIS ISN'T MADE FOR NVIDIA USERS.I haven't had a chance to pick up a nvidia MX series card yet, so this CFG is made to take advantage of the ATI rendering system, mostly the low default rendering system,Not the Nvidia system.Expect problems if you try to run it.(Tried it on a friends computer.Didn't work so well...) However, if anyone with the Nvidia card does have good luck with it without modding it at all, then horray for you.

If you want to show the FPS, you'll have open the console and type in com_showFPS 1, as in the CFG file.

My next project is to get the lower Radeon cards working on the ARB2 rendering system without the green models, and textures.

2. Alexutzu

Alexutzu New Member

Nice. Good luck with your next project!

3. serious sam

serious sam Member

GPU:
    Asus V9550GE 128mb
    Nice one. I think your machine will work better when your next project success. Good luck anyway

4. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280@700/1400/2600
    *totally off topic*

@vbetts,
    i like ur power supply - "Austin Power supply" (yes i kno it should have an 's' at the end of 'Power'...but still, i found that kind of funny :p

5. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    Quake 4 will run natively on any DX9 card, so that means the 9500 series is the minimum, not the 9700 series.

Quake 4 is using theD3 engine, but it's littered with fragment_shaders throughout. Doom3 made use of these shaders in the "heat haze" effect, but their appearance was slim. Non directX9 cards could play Doom 3, and with minor patching, Q4 can be played on non DX9 cards as well.

The radeon 9000 supports pixelshader 1.4, and I know there are programs that will force games to run with that ps. version.

6. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well from what I understand Quake 4 requires Pixel shader 2.0, but makes no sense at the same time because the Geforce 6800 I think has Pixel shader 1.8.Correct me if I'm wrong though with that. But, from what I've read up on, there were still shader problems below the 9700, which the 9600 having the worst, making the D3 engine unstable, rendering the textures wrong, and making it look horrible. But, the D3 engine will become unstable randomly, and is not caused by any hardware, but the 9600 makes the D3 engine less stable under Quake 4, but Prey runs PERFECTLY on my Radeon 9000 so far. You said there are programs to make games support Pixel shader 1.4, would you mind telling me what programs? 3D analyze is one of them, but I need more.

7. The Geforce 6800 supports pixel shader 3^^^

8. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Alright, thank you.

But, I've been trying with 3d analayze just to test it out, and so far it seems that this project is gonna be more hell then I thought it would. I tried to force it to Pixel shader 1.4, but everything is still green.Anyone have any advice for me?

9. roehunter1

roehunter1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512
    My old 9600XT ran Quake 4 pretty good actually .

10. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well, I'm glad you guys are atleast supportive about it. I've posted this on rage3ds forums, and all I got out of it is saying how much my hardware limits me, and I should upgrade. None of them were atleast happy to see that Quake 4 CAN be run on older systems. Hell, A voodoo user has gotten Quake 4 running on their Voodoo 5 6000(Or 5500.I forget which model it is.) and that card is older then mine.

11. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    your old 9600xt had pixel shader 2.0, Quake 4 need's pixel shader 2.0 to run and look good...with my old 9550GU(SM 2.0) there where no problems in quake4 but with a 9200(SM 1.4) quake 4 look like ****...

PS:there is no pixel shader 1.8 ;)

12. roehunter1

roehunter1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512

Ahhhhhh IC

13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    UPDATE

Well, I've been messing around with 3d analyzer, but the problem is I can't seem to get passed the green textures.I've told it what pixel shader to use, and it doesn't really change anything at all.

I need help with this part though. I need someone to use 3d analyzer, or another program that forces it to use a lower pixel shader, and try to get Quake 4 to look normal on the r200 rendering system.

On other terms, seeing that there is no pixel shader 1.8, then that's why it wouldn't make sense on the 6800.

14. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960
    hmm why did quake 4 run on my ti4200 flawlessly (lowsettings) if it requires PS2.0?

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Because Nvidias rendering is not the same as ATIs rendering, as well as Nvidia has way better support for Open GL.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    UPDATE

I don't know what I did, but while running 3danalyzer, I had everything looking normal on the R200 rendering system! During which, it crashed so I could not see what I did to get it work sadly...

But, I still need help on this.Please run 3d Analyzer, or a program like 3d analyzer and tell me your results.

17. IM0001

IM0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    bah

They have gotten Doom 3 to run on (a pair) of Voodoo2's so i think Quake 4 could do the same on almost any chip if tweeked enouth lol.

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The Voodoo 2 SLI was patched by someone who is a Voodoo lover, and want better things for old Voodoos. The chips weren't tweaked at all, but the glide engine basically was installed on Doom 3, and textures lowered down. Quake 4 now runs on a Voodoo 5 5500 thanks to a patch, and better drivers. But, I need to get passed 3d analyzer, then I can work on a patch or exe file to get Quake 4 running good on the older Radeons.

19. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    MAJOR UPDATE!!!

It works.There are a few bugs in the system, but it works.

HOW TO RUN QUAKE 4 ON RADEON 8500, AND 9000

Reccomended resolution for this is 640x480. 800x600 is supported with it, but horrible FPS.Update you Quake 4 to Quake 4 1.2.This fixes the green texture problem, but still has horrible performance.To fix this, you need 1 thing.3d analyzer.SETTINGS FOR 3D ANALYZER
    PIXEL SHADER AND VERTEX SETTINGS
    force max pixel shader version 1.4
    skip pixel shader version 2.0
    force low persision pixels
    HARDWARE LIMIT SETTINGS
    Turn all on
    HARDWARE LIMITS
    Emulate cube maps
    emulate DXT textures(DXT meaning Direct X textures, but yes a few textures in Quake 4 are ran by Direct X)
    ANTIDETECT SETTINGS
    Turn both on

ATI CATALYST
    HAVE DRIVERS 6.5 FOR THIS
    Texture Preferance-Quality
    Mipmap detail level-Quality

Bugs are randomly some textures will turn purple, and once in awhile it will crash.

DO NOT USE THE AUTOEXEC FOR THIS QUAKE 4.I made a mistake, but that autocfg file is only for arb rendering.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  20. engr_alas27

engr_alas27 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Vega 64 Strix
    I ran quake4 on my 9800pro fluid...well my gforce3 ti? not that good..