Quake 4 impressions

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Rodman, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti

sse is pentium3 so I feel sorry for you if you do not have atleast a pentiun 3.

2. Paul L

Paul L Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    I think the Athlon XP CPU's use a mixture of MMX & SSE instructions to emulate SMID instruction sets. I saw it listed in the console which know includes many new start up entries.

3. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    SSE in Quake4

Isn't the AMD Duron like the Intel Celeron... SSE, SSE2 and SSE3 doesn't exist, upgrade your CPU...and welcome to the future of technology...upgrade or be left behind...good luck:D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  4. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    Re: SSE in Quake4

thats what I said!!

SENTENCE STEALER!!

5. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Re: Re: SSE in Quake4

:D

Anyhow graphics look good... :)

6. ArChAnGeLv7

ArChAnGeLv7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA nvidia 7800GTX 256MB
    Finally got around to playing it today, bought it at release and haven't given it much time, but almost 2 hours into it, so far so good. The indoor graphics are slightly better than doom 3, which was already the best visually looking game to date along with roe, now Quake 4 takes the crown.

They worked with the engine in a smart way, seems they took the feedback of doom3's complaints and worked upon them, environments have more detail, they put hair on the humans so you cant see the pointy heads everyone complained about in d3, etc.

The Strogg are a blast. Good ol' fashion fraggin.

My only complaint so far is the out door scenes....I mean ewwww. Looks like textures from Quake 2. And that painted background...give me a break.

8.5 out of 10 here, so far. That may lower or improve as I play through and beat it.

Back to playin soon tonight heh.

Playing smoothly @ 1280x1024 w/ 4xaa 16xaf max details.

7. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    This is a solid game and multi just adds to the coolness of Quake:)

8. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    The greatest disappointment in last 3-4 years (regarding the PC-games).

=Doom3 minus thrill=

What was Quake3 compared to Quake2: action without the story, without the mistery. Yet, playing Q3 you could feel that you play a really new game, and there was a huge advance in the terms of picture quality too.
    Seems that Carmack&Co got tired (overproduction?).

9. cmay119

cmay119 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 Ti Classified
    Hey all, just got this game last night. Been playing for a while it's pretty fun, but seems like Doom 3 all over again to me, so I'm not incredibly impressed. But a nice Frag 'em shooter to get the agression out lol. Anyways. I'm getting random crashes to the desktop about every 30-45 Minutes of playing the game. I'm assuming it's a driver issue and will start from there. I'm using the Beta 81.87's anyone else using these and getting good results? Every other game I have installed seems to run just fine on these drivers, so maybe it's something else. Thanks for any input.

Other games I have installed at the moment are:
    F.E.A.R
    Doom 3
    Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil
    Medal Of Honor: Pacific Assualt

Any thoughts? Thanks again. :)

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    It could be the 6800/Nforce 3 stuttering bug?? For what i know, 6800 based cards and Nforce 3 chipsets don't quite love each other.

Try 81.89. I hear some good things about those drivers and update your Nforce drivers.

And clean up your pc, use Crap Cleaner for that. :)

Q4 is a huge system and memory hog.

11. cmay119

cmay119 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 Ti Classified
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm using the 6.53 Remix drivers which seem to work very well as chipset drivers. I'll try the 81.89's and see if they play nicer as well. Thanks for the input. :)

12. Celsius

Celsius Active Member

GPU:
    XFX XXX 6800GS
    Hmm... yeah, I really want this, but I don't want to even spend $40 on it right now. $30 seems good, because I want to get the bang for my buck, you know?

I'm waiting for a demo, but it looks as though that will come late this month, if I'm lucky. I hope it gives me a good impression of the game. :D

13. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    I am having serious problems loading quicksaves in this game. When I try to load a quicksave most of the time it will start me at the beginning of the map instead of the spot I saved. The patch did not fix this. Anyone else having this problem and know how to fix it or get around it?

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Well I might as well throw in my two bits..

I started not really impressed.. mainly, as mentioned prior, that its just like D3 all over again.. kinda blah. However, that was at the beginning.
    I had quality set on low to keep my FPS up, and it wasn't all that fantastic looking obviously.
    Since then I've done more experimenting with settings, and updated to the 81.94s.
    Wow. Now I'm running at 1600x1200 HQ with pretty much everything on and its nice and smooth and looks about 1,500,000,00000000 times better. I noticed better performance with the new drivers.. not huge by any means, but it was less jaggy and was smoothed out some. Definitely worth the install for this game considering they made improvments with these drivers as mentioned in the release notes.. as well as for COD2, which I have yet to try.

I will also say that I'm glad they made it such a long game. It's somehow keeping me interested because it's challenging and yet still engaging. It will grow on you.

15. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    Multi is good scooby,maybe see ya in a multi sometime:)

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    But still needs more improvements, like up to 64 player support or vehicle maps, like onslaught in UT2004. :rolleyes:

Imagine fragging in those tanks or mechs. :O

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I have to admit, I don't play any games multi.. cept for UT. That is and will always be the only online multi that gets my attention.
    Games like D3, and Quake for me are better as just single player. But that's just me..

18. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    i was dissapointed by the online play, vehicles wouldve been nice