Quake 4 impressions

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Rodman, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Smokey21

Smokey21 Guest

In Ultra quality, you really do need 512mb of VGA memory for a complete smooth experience. Sure a SLI GTX and FX CPU with 2GB of ram, will hold up well, but not perfectly, like a 512mb VGA would.

Seeing as the X1800XT isn't out yetm and not for a month, we can move along.:O

Im really enjoying Quake 4. Im in the large towers now, got a feeling im near the end.

My main gripe is the fact that a lot of the action is indoors,and it feels a lot like D3, apart from the weapons (which are awesome). Also the vehicle segments were fa to easy, and really felt like they belonged in 1998 not a shooter in 2005.

It's not even close to games like HL2, Far Cry, but it's still pretty dam good. Weapons are awesome, as are the sounds and graphics.

2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    Hello John and Wildstyle,

Good to see you guys. :)

I playing around with an X850XT PE and I'm able to get in the game but the framerate is choppy of course. ;) When the action gets very intense it crashes and throws me to the desktop.

You should be able to load and enter a level. I could play Doom3 on Ultra without crashing. The framerate was choppy but it wouldn't crash.

@Everyone else,

We know what's needed to play smoothly. Sometimes we techies have to test a few technical theories......if you will......:p.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  3. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x800Pro+Samsung 172X
    POlease don't run it on ultra unless you actually do have 512mb of video ram. It is not making your penis any larger. I experimented with this for a while on Doom3, and compared screenshots etc. Yes, it does look marginally better, but nothing you'd notice without doing an A/B comparison. You might notice that it doesn't impact your fps much over high quality, so you can say: omg! I'm running Doom3/Quake 4 at UQ settings and it's playable! The problem isn't fps impact, it's stuttering. When I had UQ on, I would get semi-frequent studdering that was fixed by using high quality. Stuttering is more of a ram issue, so unless you have a ton of system ram or vid ram, stick to HQ.

4. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Maybe so, but what I'm saying is that it should at least run! We all know that 512MB vram isn't required to run in Ultra quality mode, hence why people could play Doom 3 at Ultra settings with current cards (including myself and John, yet we can't play Q4 in Ultra quality).

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Hello TheDigitalJedi :)

Well it's good to see you too!

So you can get in the game yet it crashes at intense moments? Odd. You've a similar problem, but at least you can start the game!

And Davy2, yes point taken and you're right, but what's bugging me is that it doesn't work when it really should.

6. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    The stuttering can also be a RAM issue. Quake4 is quite a RAM hog. Also, check for the latest OpenAL Creative drivers if you have a Creative sound card.

7. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    ive been away for a week so I missed the Q4 release and Fear , looking at the reviews I think i'll buy Fear first as mindless shooters dont really intrest me as much.

8. i recommend to try set in your BIOS the PCI LATENCY TIMER to 64 or 128 cycles,
    i solved my stutters in everything by changing this, it's worth a shot if all else fails and it wont damage any hardware. ;)

9. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7600GT XXX 256MB VIVO
    What tool did you use to do this?
    Can I use the PCI latency tool? I heard that this program can screw up your system. Is that true?

10. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    Yes stutter can be memory lag,either not enough or running at slower speeds.
    Anyone up for a frag later on Q4?:)
    I can run a server,multi is mad,loved Q3 for that.

11. Smokey21

Smokey21 Guest

How do you get rid of the 60FPS cap btw guys?

EDIT:

Just beat it. I enjoyed it loads, but i wish it was bloody longer, far to short.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  12. brouhaha

brouhaha Member

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 6800GT
    I haven't beaten the single player campaign but thus far I haven't been disappointed; I actually prefer this game to F.E.A.R. but only as a matter of taste (the scary stuff bored me and I wasn't impressed by the enemy AI either..though they're rocket scientists compared to Quake IV's =P). Just lots of action, no covering it up with introspection or convoluted plots..well okay, there's plot in Quake IV but it isn't so bad. I am a little disappointed by the weapons. So far I've found myself really only using 2 or 3 throughout the map (rifle, shotgun, occassionally grenade launcher). Guns like the hyperblaster and nailgun just seem a little underpowered with less frequent ammo. Not saying they're weak by any means, just not as dependable for me.

Multiplayer...is kinda okay. It doesn't seem as fast as Quake III personally, which is a surprise since it looked faster in the videos I previewed before purchasing; hopefully, my impressions will improve once I get used to the new movement but it's just not as easy to keep up a steady momentum, though I know people have discovered "crouch sliding" which helps. Weapons are fairly balanced but the gameplay modes themselves are pretty boring. This game really needs some community mod-work to improve its online.

13. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    A bit of multiplayer going down[old school]this server is running ok,i'm going on now.
    ip:-88.104.244.232
    Come if you want a true challenge!:)

14. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    To say to hell with F.E.A.R emplies you havent played it

I just finifhed it and its straight to my No. 1 slot

the enemies, graphics, atmosphere , sounds and sh/t your pants creepyness is un matched in my opinion

The battles are insane with top graphic settings

But back to Quake 4, i agree its really good and ign have missed the point some what i think

15. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    Anyone up for a Q4 deathmatch?oh and Q4 is fast as f@@@,played Q3[a classic aswell]and Q4 rocks da net!:)

16. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB
    Just being the over-observing smartass that I am, I'ld like to point out that in the opening dropship scene, Cortez and Rhodes are sitting in each others places.

17. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    I played and beat ROE at 1280x960 2xaa/4xaf ultra quality and max everything on the specs on the right. I only had very brief half second studder while going into a new large area, you dont need a 512 mb card for ultra.

The difference in quality between high and ultra quality was huge. On high the lighting changes and made it look a lot worse for me. It cant be really discribed in a screenshot, but it really changed the atmosphere on ultra.

18. reno_skychaser

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB
    I think thats due to the fact that it needs 512mb of TEXTURE memory, not simply onboard video memory. My 128mb 6600GT uses 122mb memory and 248mb of system memory to comprise a total of 370mb of texture memory. Note the "I think" preceding all this as I could be completely wrong.

19. reno_skychaser

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB
    Yep, 6600GT. Some of us are still gaming with those. My monitors max res is 1280x1024, and I can't tell 60fps from 30, so I'm just dandy.

20. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    FEAR SUCKS and yes I played it, downloaded it just for kiks and it sucked.