Quake 4 impressions

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Rodman, Oct 18, 2005.

1. eternalchaos

eternalchaos Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 640MB 8800gts
    after beating the game.. I have no clue how Gamespot gave this an 8.. unless they feel "change" is a good thing.. if the notion "don't fix it if it ain't broke" was never around.. we'd constantly have newer and newer designsthat piss alot of people off.. stick to a classic that people already love.. people will love it..

BUT how IGN gave this game a 7 is beyond comprehension. they had to be smoking something or let someone who enjoys playing sports game review it (like one of my friends who cant play an FPS for more than30mins without getting bored)

I have to say this game is one of the best i've played... the story is pretty good.. better than I expected. The graphics are fantastic and while i agree it has a doom feel to it.. there is so much action going on you don't have time to be scared. While running through levels you got marines calling orders , battles going on outside, mech's walking by.. ships being blown up.. this game has you holding teh trigger most of the time its crazy! I'm glad i purchased this game.. its worth my $50 and then some...

2. eternalchaos

eternalchaos Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 640MB 8800gts

if you are gonna pull the.. "well quake 4 resembles halo/halo2" let me reverse the roles.. QUAKE came first by a good handful of years... so if anything "halo" is trying to be like quake... Halo is the one copying going to the alien planet to fight.. .

As for FEAR and Doom3 here are some.. Both tried to scare you and failed.. at least i didn't find either game scary.. both surround you in darkness... Both do long corridor based fighting... you can always find similarities in games.. but if anything Halo2 is the wanna be Quake ... remember.. QUAKE 2 did this a long time ago.. Quake 4 is just the continouation of Quake 2...

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Anyone else here with ATi having problems running Ultra quality? Game loads, then goes into a white screen, before it dumps me into windows. It works flawlessly at high quality. Wildstyle is having the same problems, I believe. Very annoyoing!

4. Vundu

Vundu Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800 Ultra OC
    Only spent about 2hrs on single player and 1hr on multi player but think it is a class act.

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah runs fine on high but ultra is a no go as described above.

6. mythy

mythy Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800 Ultra OC'ed
    well guys, after reading this thread and viewing thoes hurendous screenshoots I have decided not to buy the game after all! I just wanted to show you some thing here.... This is a Doom 3 screeny of mine. The IQ is at 8s AA and 16AF every thing is maxed. Since Q4 uses the doom 3 engine I would expect it to look even better then this simply because it came out after doom3 and we now have even faster GPU's on the market...

Corect me if I'm rong but doesnt this screeny look much better then Q4???

[​IMG]

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    (Off topic, but...)
    We need new Jedi Knight (whit Doom 3 engine) from Raven software! I'm 100% sure that it would be the best Star Wars game ever made.

8. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    The intro seems pretty promising... however the first thing I did after getting in was quit... you ask me why, damn mouse acceleration.. anyone know how to disable it? I couldn't see anything obvious in the options and google is failing me :/

9. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    its not availible in this country till next week,think i will buy this one:D

10. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SLI 800/2000
    Bought Doom3 and it played on all my machines and I finished it. Bought Half-Life2 and I still have not been able to complete the game (crash problems annd a overload of work). Bought Quake4 and it's great, no problems at all on my new machine. I'm still trying to redownload Half-Life2 from steam. ID software rules. Valve sucks. Steam sucks

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005

11. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    You buy games only because of how they look? That's quite odd, I'd rather have better gameplay. But sadly many people are taking that sort of attitude now. I'd also say, from 'playing' both Doom 3 and Quake 4, that Quake 4 is the better looking game.

12. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    You have to have 512 video ram to do that, thats the problem. Get the X1800XT (512 ram version) if you want to play at ultra quality;)

13. uploader

uploader Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Lol what no man i play Ultra too. Try it;) . Dont know about Ati cards though.

And btw Mythy: Yes that screen does look a hell lot better than from what i have seen of Q4. My opinion. Its strange because Q4 uses an optimised D3 engine. Even stranger is that my performance with D3 is slightly better than with Q4, even in the corridors.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  14. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Ha..ha.

Seriously are there no ATI users playing this game?

If you are an ATI user playing Quake4, can you run ultra quality? Or do you get the symptons described above by John?

15. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    The great thing about Quake 4 is that Raven didn't say a whole lot to get people really hyped up. Then they surprised us. Shooting has never been so great.

16. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    We all know that isn't true. It should atleast start! There must be some ATi users that have tried ultra quality here?

17. Mr.$pecTre

Mr.$pecTre Member Guru

GPU:
    pending
    I just beat it and I thought it rocked. Kickass game...gfx,gameplay,sound-all awesome.

18. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Nah mate, i think Q4 looks a tad better (not much, just a tad).
    Settings are 1600x1200, 8ssAA & 16af, and amazingly medium ingame settings (forgot to change it).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Retroborg

Retroborg Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070 8GB
    Aren’t the gameplay, story line & in-game music cool like most other FPS made by Raven in the past?
    Is the music epic like Heretic & Hexen or is it using that annoying Thrash-Metal soundtrack from Quake 2?
    Or even worse, the bizarre disordering music from Quake 1?

Is Quake 4 Long like Unreal 1 & Quake 2?

What about the flow in the levels? Is it completely restrictive and linear like in some modern FPS, or is it complex and nicely convoluted like in Quake2 & Unreal 1, with some backtracking here and some sidetracking there? And are there secrets?

Also How´s the verticality in the levels? Is it mainly flat, or is there plenty of multi-level combat

These are the most important factors in my book rather than graphics.

How well will it play on medium to high details & 640x480, on a system like this?

P4 2.4GHZ FSB 400MHZ
    768MB RDRAM (Rambus) 400MHZ
    GFTi4200 128MB AGP 8X

Doom3 & ROE played at 45-60FPS with the above settings.

So what should I expect from Quake 4?

Wow, one more thing...
    How many CDs does the game consist of?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  20. Quake 4 isn't bad....but i liked DOOM-3 more for some reason, there's something missing in the gameplay of Q4, indeed it got Action and a nice story at last, the weapons are better than Doom3.

I played about 5 levels, its good for a cup of tea just like Serious Sam 2,
    however after playing F.E.A.R (still didnt finish the game), i have a hard time play mindless games such as QUAKE 4 or SS2.

It's fun....but disappointing.