Quake 3 arena fps??????

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by big4x4, Jul 13, 2003.

1. big4x4

big4x4 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 pro
    Hello, I am not getting very good fps in quake 3! In my system to the left, I only get about 91 fps max! I hear people getting over 100, even with like mx400's! BTW, I am judging the fps with fraps. Anyone know what could be wrong?

2. Neo_Potency

Neo_Potency Guest

Your framerate is being capped. Unfortunately i myself do not know how to unlock it. It's a command in the console, try goggling for it.

3. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    By default, Quake 3 has a framelimit of 85fps, which is a nice number to stick with, but of course you want to see how high it can go.
    Edit the 'q3config.cfg' file in your Quake3/baseq3 folder. Look for the line:
    seta com_maxfps "85"
    and just change the value in the quotation marks. Just pick a number you know your card will never reach (500 is what I use when wanting to see the framerate).
    The console command for that would probably be \com_maxfps "500"
    and you might need to do a \vid_restart for the settings to take effect.

Now that's just Q3's framecap. V-Sync is another one. Just turn that off in your OpenGL options and watch those frames fly! :)

4. bankrobber

bankrobber Guest

yea 90+ fps is so bad..haha

5. mantra_sone

mantra_sone Cambodian

GPU:
    The virtue that possession
    Ummm, heh, didn't people say that the human eye can't tell the difference between 60 fps and 61+?

6. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Dont forget that alot of the online server have there fsp capped also ..So geting 10000000000 fps not gona do you any good playing online :p

7. big4x4

big4x4 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 pro
    I dont really care how high my fps is, I just was curious because I am seeing people getting really high framerates! 91 is good for me! Thank you for your help

8. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Here you go big4x4 this an old site but it has a nice autoexec creator ....play around with deferent seting and you should see alot beter FPS :)

http://www.tweak3d.net/autoexec/

9. mjmaskrey

mjmaskrey Master Guru

GPU:
    Creative Labs FX 5900 Ultra/BFG 6800 Ultra OC
    If you want to check what FPs you can get, use Q3 bench as that must remove the FPS cap while it's running as you can get 350+ FPS.

Obviously that won't help while playing but 90 is good and pretty good for a cap limit, GTA Vice City caps at 30.......THIRTY :mad:

If the cap is removed and you get, let's say 350 FPS if you hit a demanding section or part and FPS drop to say 200 you will notice a stutter as it drops, trust me ;)

If it's constant 200 you won't notice any difference, but you will notice a change as the FPS dips i guarantee it.:D