Quadro on PCI-Express? - Using an AGP to PCI-Express Bridge Card?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by SolidModel, Apr 18, 2006.

1. SolidModel

SolidModel Member

GPU:
    GeForce 6800 Ultra @ QuadroFX 4400
    I just found out about these very cheap bridge cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=2668

It is possible to run an AGP GeForce 6800 Ultra as a QuadroFX 4000 using Rivatuner. Would a bridge card like that allow the same thing on a system with a PCI-E motherboard? If so, without a serious performance hit?

Physical installation would be a problem, but not insurmountable.

Am tempted to try this out.

2. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    IMHO, you should sell your AGP card and get a PCI-E version of it - it will be much cheaper than wasting time and money on these bridge-card solutions.

3. SolidModel

SolidModel Member

GPU:
    Alec, thanks for your opinon. The trouble with that is it won't allow running Realview in Solidworks and who knows what else it won't allow. For example, at the moment I can happily run RealView in Solidworks using an AGP GeForce 6800 Ultra @ QuadroFX 4000.

I noticed from your sig you seem to be doing similar. ie. "BFG 6800 Ultra OC @ Quadro FX 4400". Possibly you have a PCI-E card, which would not run Realview.

This forum indicates there are no true Quadro conversions possible for any PCI-E graphics card (except maybe for a limited batch of the GeForce 6600 family, which you would be lucky to lay hands on).

The question is... Can the bridge card solution be done? Would NVStrap still work? I agree that physical installation might be a pain for a full height graphics card. (... but maybe possible.)

I will explain the case some more:

What is a person to do if thier application is very CPU hungry and they would like to exploit the fastest CPU's available, but still keep thier good ol' AGP Quadro? (eg. Solidworks is really CPU hungry and a Quadro FX 4000 is somewhat wasted with all but the fastest CPU's.)

What is the best CPU platform to have for AGP?
    1. AMD Socket 939 on a motherboard with nForce3 or a ULI M1695 chipset? nForce 3 has it's flaws and M1695 has not been supported by the best motherboard makers. More critically, Socket 939 is about to be superseded by Socket AM2 and the fastest AMD CPU today is the limit. Socket AM2 is forecast to only last a year until socket AM3 for DDR3! Dead ends galore.
    2. Intel Socket T (LGA 775) on a motherboard with Intel 865PE chipset. Little hope of supporting Conroe, which will require a 975 chipset and it seems some hardware changes from existing 975 motherboard designs.

Conroe will start off at about 20% faster than the fastest socket 939 CPU's. It seems to be the best choice now (or rather, in a month or two). That is until 2007 when AMD may (almost) catch up with K8L architecture on 0.65 micron. Conroe supporting motherboards are just starting to be released, but there is little hope that any would support AGP. (If any did, a lot of AGP Quadro owners could be very happy.)

Does the AGP graphics --> PCI-E motherboard bridge make more sense now?

Another solution is to find a massive budget and buy a genuine PCI-E Quadro FX 4500 on a Conroe platform. Hell, why not go SLI with the genuine Quadro's? ;)

4. SolidModel

SolidModel Member

GPU:
    BTW, If you don't mind me asking, what is your dual CPU motherboard? Also does your GeForce 6800 Ultra actually have 512Mb, because the real Quardo FX4400 is a 512Mb PCI-E card?

5. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    I have heard a lot about Realview not working on softmodded PCI-E cards, but i really don't know if that is truly a proved fact or not since some report it works just fine.
    It seems stupid for Solidworks to check for the PCI-ID since that would mean that a new Quadro FX 5000 card (or a NV50GL engineering sample) will not work since it's not in the SolidWorks RealView PCI-ID database.
    If i was a SolidWorks programmer, i would only check for pro capabilities bit in the status register - since that will enable RealView on all cards, even on the future Quadros that are being designed at this very moment... ;)

And by the way, i am using an AGP motherboard (actually AGPPro to be exact) by MSI (Model K8T Master2-FAR7), and my BFG card has only 256Mbytes. I call the moded card 4400 since it has 16 pipes, 6VPs and much higher clocks than the Quadro FX 4000 (350/900). It's actually even faster than Quadro FX 4400 because it is clocked at 425/1200 (GPU/MEM) while the Quadro FX 4400 is at 400/1000.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  6. chinkdiesel69

chinkdiesel69 New Member

Sorry....Wrong post...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006