Quad Users, will you upgrade to Thuban X6?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by C4ampere, Feb 8, 2010.

1. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    or another way, by the time the quad is utilised and 8 is the norm at least you will only be 2 behind :)

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's just the fact that it's been the first time in a long time that hardware is progressing faster than software.

deltatux

3. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    anyways thinking about thuban..

if the Phenom II x4 965BE (c) has a 3D Mark score of 4669 & OC`d @ 4ghz = 5487

and yet a core i7 975 stock = 5949

then you can probably expect that an OC`d 6 core thuban will go beyond the top level i7 and I dont here people complaining to much about the performance of that chip @ £750-£855 !

so if the 6 core amd is under £250 (given the top quad amd is under £150) it will be a very good buy imo

4. Axkingz

Axkingz Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 4000 / GT 650M
    No, i stress my I7 at 30% at the most. Hope this build is going to last me until summer 2012, so i'll see whats out then :D

5. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    just go into your bios and turn off your ACPI option..and see how your quad performs with only ONE core :) i dare ya :D

6. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    well all i can say if for me when im emulating the extra horsepower is needed. I tried a game cube emulator and my dual core cpu was 100% top line all of the time apart from running extremely low windowed resolution so i know another 2 cores would help run beyond 10fps and for me it would be another 4 cores will make the emulator work much faster.

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    discussing console emulators is generally illegal...

but anyway, are you sure youre not just getting low fps because you havent enabled directx hardware acceleration in the program?

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    sounds like 3D acceleration wasn't turned on or the fact that it's only multithreaded for dual cores. We all know that most programs can take full advantage of dual cores. We're now talking 4 cores vs. 6 cores and not dual cores.

deltatux

9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    nice progression in the market, but i think i will wait for it to mature out and see what intel release :)

10. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    its running/downloaded the emulated games that's illegal i am running Public domain software not official releases :nerd:

but i take your point i wont discuss (Apart from to say if i run a glitchy emulator for a 25year old console with games that would otherwise never get played, and would float into non existence and 0% profit would be made from company even on re-release if the title even was remembered let alone the company being still alive, or even the people who made it still alive as the whole thing is so dated then pushing the issue of piracy becomes very thin and certainly has no moral context)

:)

btw looking forward to 6 core, i have money ready for msi 890fx and 6 core just waiting for reviews

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010

11. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    i am waiting x4 does everthing i want will wait for more software that will use x4 never mind x6 before i upgrade further.

12. Erqury

Erqury Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    if its cheap enough i guess.. also would need my motherboard to get a bios update....

13. erocker

erocker Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I'm interested in the differences of the CPU besides the increase in cores. More to the point, the PII X4 960T (Zosma). What will be the difference between that and a Deneb X4.