QNAP Offers Single-port 2.5 GbE PCIe Card for NAS and PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I mean it's just 2.5 times faster than standard 1G LAN, which basically in any modern device. Why would someone find 1G not enough and look into 2.5G?
    Wouldn't 10G be a better solution?

3. Martes

Martes New Member

GPU:
    RX570
    How much is this and what chip it uses? Unfortunatelly I'm not able to reach store page..

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I see this more useful as a server card. Take into consideration a typical office 10G network: typically, there's only 1 or 2 ports on a switch with 10G support. The rest are 1G. This is because the bandwidth of that one host port can be easily split among all of the other ports without any of them losing bandwidth when talking to the server.
    So, think of 2.5G being the same, except maybe for an 8-port switch or smaller.

Also, 2.5G is pretty much the fastest you can get using relatively crappy/cheap wiring. So, you could go faster, but that's probably going to cost you.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    they could've reduced the range of 10gbe links for cheaper hardware for home use instead of making these annoying stopgap substandards, I can't think of any use for a 100m run in my house, the longest run of anything I have is a 7m HDMI cable going to a proyector and a 10m run across rooms and out to the roof for a camera, 20m at 10gbe would be plenty, heck we already had hdmi 18gbps doing 15m for years now

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
  7. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    It actually matters, because HDD's in NASes are faster than 1g, but they are not faster than 2.5g.

(unless using Raid 0, which I would NOT recommend to anyone !)

10g is very expensive, power hungry, requires 4 x full-fat PCI-e 2.0 lanes ( or 2 x PCI-e 3.0 lanes, but I don't think there is any 10g PCI-e 3.0 chip currently, all that I saw use 4 lanes )
    Oh, and 10g switches are expensive as f**k !
    And basically too fast for usual JBOD NAS.

2.5 is fine.
    Can't wait for mass adoption and drops in prices everywhere ! (And more switches ffsake, you can literally count on fingers the number of switch models that support 2.5 ! )