Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Cybermancer, Oct 11, 2009.
ive had a e8400 and it was alright but my q9550 smokes it, q9550 FTW!!
Already did that, but thanks.
Btw: here's another guy with an XFX 680i LT successfully running a Q9550, although the temp reading might not be working 100%:
Q9550 work on a xfx 680i Lt mobo?
Considering the fact that it'll be 14 months before you can look into a new rig. I'd say if it can support the 9550 then definitely grab it.
I was running a Q9550 on a 780i for about a week (before the board died) and the performance difference was very noticeable. I was getting signifigantly better benchmarks with overclocking it to the same speed as I had my Q6600 and was able to take it even higher.
Plus of course you already know, the extra cores will increase your overhead and lessen the chance of you running into a bottleneck with those two GTX260's The only thin I would do is instead of buying a brand new one, I'd see if I could find a slightly used one somewhere first.
Paying $200+ for "last generation" hardware just seems preposterous to me
Seriously though cant you pickup a cheap P35 or P45 mobo now? it really isint worth the hassle. The Q9550 is a fantastic chip but youll only have problems with it on a 680i mobo. Even a cheap Asus P35 mobo second hand should only cost around $40-$50
my guess is cyber wants to keep his sli @16x on both lanes. if he goes p35, p45 then he's reduced to 8x on both pci-e lanes. so if he cant use his sli to full affect then he may aswell not get the quad.
PCI-E 2.0 makes a lot of the x16 redundant though, so a motherboard supporting that standard should equal his current setup/SLI performance.
That's why I started this thread - to find out as many pros and cons about my current setup and potential upgrade options.
I'm definitely not going to pick up a new motherboard right now, though. I'm either going to keep my current setup and possibly update it with the Q9550 or wait until 12/2010 and get a whole new system (X58 motherboard, i7, DDR3 RAM).
So far it's pretty obvious that the Q9550 is going to be a worthwhile upgrade to keep my system relevant for a little while. The ultimate question is just whether the XFX 680i LT is going to support the Q9550 or not. The two threads I found here at Guru3D seem to indicate that it does (with the latest BIOS update), I'm just waiting on some feedback from my PMs I send them.
Cyber, do you have any reason to upgrade atm ? bad performance on games or such ?
Good point, WhiteLightning. That's kind of what I'm pondering right now.
I'm more or less satisfied with my system right now, but I'm not sure if it will do for another year or so. Since my birthday is coming up I'm wondering whether I should upgrade or wait another year.
Theres only a few games that nead a Quad, GTAIV is practically unplayable without a quad @ 4Ghz( even with an i7 it seems sluggish like the system is barely coping even though the FPS are @ 60FPS 95% of the time ), Supreme Commander, ARMA 2 and a handful of others. If you have no interest in those i wouldnt bother going for a Q9550.
You could do what i did and sell your current stuff and go i7 or i7. I went i7 for 350euro in total( flogging E6400, 2Gig ram, ATI 3850 and EVGA680i for 200euro ). That was in May, memory now is half the price and the mobos and i7s have come down in price. In fact you'd probably upgrade to an i5 flogging your current stuff and adding $100 to $150( less than the price of a Q9550 ).
Just some more things to confuse ya
Otherwise why not get the Q9550 but be prepared to get a cheap mobo upgrade if it doesnt work well?
Unfortunately that's one of the games I really liked, but obviously I'm not playing it 24/7/365.
On the other hand more and more games in the coming months will support four (or more) cores.
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Instead of selling it, I'd just keep it and turn it into a HTPC for the bedroom, tbh.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
I'm still waiting for a reply to my PMs I send those guys who actually put the Q9550 on their XFX 680i LT and got it working...
Cybermancer we have spoke now you must buy that core 2 quad also depends how much multi tasking you do too, plus if you buy it and dont get any extra performance just send it to me but seriously get it, you can tell the difference straight away plus overclocking them its just awesome
imo you should wait if you dont have any real performance issues.
If you start saving now, you will have more money by then, and I7 or perhaps even I9 ? will be cheaper by then.
i do think in a years time, you will need to add a new videocard to come with the upgrade though.
So the situation IMO is like this.
Buy a Q9550 and be happy for some time, untill next year, and you will want to upgrade .
Wait till next year and buy a mobo, cpu, ram and vid card.
are you sure you cant do both ?
Meh just get that credit card out and wild on newegg
being in debt is ace
no worries, its good to confuse , You have a dilemma then re Supreme Commander lol.
The problem with the HTPC route is you cant get back some of the cost of a new system. I have a HTPC and my gaming rig, the HTPC was handy when i got a Q9550 as it just used its mobo instead of my 680i, not though its Core 2 and my gaming is i7 so its no longer interchangeable, however its a pretty decent rig if my own goes down for any reason and its fantastic for movies/music/tv shows( finally caved and put it in a proper HTPC case with remote and display ).
Weigh up everything and youll be fine, personally i just dont like the idea of it not working fully( at a hardware level ) with a 'to specification' 680i mobo
ace huh? tell you what you buy me an i7
What am I going to do now?
Thanks again for all your input guys. I think I have all the answers I needed to get - besides the PMs I'm still waiting for. LOL
nothing, go with a quad
dude, that q9550 will do wonders for you.. best bang for buck in times like these!
I went from a E8400 @4GHz to a Q9650 @4GHz and I'm extremely pleased I did.