Q-Tec PSU's?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vinnie, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X
    Hi all,

i just bought a new psu for my system, a q-tec 650w triple fan. But i heard lots of bad things about q-tec on the forum. My question is: Is q-tec really that bad?

Greetz

2. arnie

arnie Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x1800xt 256mb
    yes, they are awful

3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Q-Tec PSU's are trash. Though I would have thought a 650 Watt psu coming in under £20 would ring a few bells with most people :p

4. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X
    And what is the "Dark" side of q-tec psu's?
    So whats better on a antec or something...?

5. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    q-tecs are not any side really. they are basic fireworks for your computer like neon lights etc. if you want to turn your computer into a spectacular display then get a qtec psu. antecs are the best imo, enermax are good too aswell as tagen :)

6. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    The biggest problem with q-tec is they sell the psu at "peak" power instead of max power. Peak power is usually 20-50% over rated max power. Max power = maximum sustainable power output. So the "650w" you bought is closer to most 350-400w power supplies.

7. Willy Boy

Willy Boy Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX 7800gtx x2 sli
    Had one 550w in my old pc just gradually gave out no explosions which some peeeps have experienced , if you get another Try an Antec 3yrs warranty (Rotterdam HQ) so easy for you to return..or a Tagan good too & priced good in Europe !!

Not much to choose in them both 3 yr gtee

8. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X
    But is this psu (q-tec 650w) really that bad for my system specs? ----->
    And what is the difference between this q-tec and a antec psu?
    So what makes this psu crap? is it stability, temperature or voltage?
    Anyways, if i can get my money back i go look for a antec psu. But what Antec do u guys recommend? I found this one: http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=14451#

9. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle GeForce 6 6600 128MB, 128 b
    w00t??

Im using a Q-Tek 550w for a year and had no problems at all...

Explosions??WTF?:p

Previously I used a Q-Tek 350w in a case completely modded (neons,lots of fans, hdd cooling...) and never had any prob...

So Q-Tek cant be so bad....and now I dont mod anymore.

10. Willy Boy

Willy Boy Master Guru

GPU:
    Just the more expensive ones more reliable ( supposedly ) i have haa an Antec pack up on me too ! & better /more stable voltages , but like i said "Had a Q-tec" for over a year b4 it finally quit on me .
    AT moment got a Antec Tre control 550w but all the range is good ...mind you was impressed with the Tagan 420w i have it now in my other pc as i bought one waiting for the Antec to be replaced ( was complicated took a while )
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=1793&category_id=263&manufacturer_id=0

11. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    In addition to the above (though IIRC Q-tec now label their PSUs in continuous power - not 100% sure, don't actively check out **** products) we also have ripple voltage. The fast fluctuations of the voltage are called ripple voltage, and are an enemy of fine electronics such as computers. Ripple voltage will, in bad cases, lead to instability of the components it powers. If the ripple is bad enough, this could cause instability on your computer, it could cause lower overclocks, and in extreme cases it can destroy hardware completely. A good PSU should have low ripple values - a clean nice voltage with small spikes and no huge jumps. A good PSU should be able to maintain this even at heavy load. To get a clean current, good filtering is required. Good PSU's have this, Q-tec's don't!
    To build a good PSU you need high quality components and a high quality soldering job, which is not cheap. So in my opinion it's not possible to build a high quality PSU for extremely cheap. If you want something good you'll have to pay for it. Simple as that. *Hugs his PCP&C*

12. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    I had a Q-tec Triple Fan 650 W once with my 6800 Ultra. Worked fine for me, but it was quite unstable when you want to start oc'ing. Now I have a Antec Truepower 550W and one thing becomes very clear: q-tec PSU's are the most noisy crap i've ever heard!!!

I really mean it. That Antec together with a NV Silencer 5 Rev. 2 onto my GPU = silence. :O

But as for the voltages, there were no ripples. I've measured it and it stayed constant. Perhaps i'm lucky then, because i've also heard a lot of bad stuff about Q-tec PSU's.

The Triple Fan 650W has 20A on the 12V rail. My Antec has 30 Amps on the 12V rail, which results in better OC'ing performance.

13. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What did you measure with?

14. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Q-tec PSUs aren't good quality from my experience (it may be fine for lower end machines though). The power supply is the most important part of your computer. You wouldn't skimp on other pieces of hardware, why shouldn't you get something nice for your PSU?

15. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    With a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter)

Strange, but i think i'm just lucky or the've learned from their faults.

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Is your Q-tec gold or red?

Also, from what I know the only way to reliably measure ripple voltage is with an oscilloscope. I can't imagine that a DMM would be accurate or sensitive enough. It would be fine for measuring voltage fluctuation though (on your rails.)

This is out of my depth really. John or Altazimuth will know for sure.

17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    My PSU is gold.

I'm using my Q-tec Triple Fan in my 3rd rig:

AMD Athlon XP2000+ @ 2.2Ghz
    1Gb PC2700 in DC 2.5-3-3-7 (FSB 177)
    MSI KT-400 Ultra (Via chipset) MS-6590
    Club3D GeForce FX5700LE 256mb AGPx8 @ 425/425
    Maxtor PATA/133 160GB (8mb cache)
    Q-tec Triple Fan 650W PSU
    Nec DVD-/+RW 3500
    US Robotics 10/100/1000mbits NIC

18. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X
    i bought this psu cuz i had problems with my system, sometimes the system restarts (i get blue screen and he just restarts). Now with this psu, i still have the problem. So he still restarts when playing a game... Now i think its my cpu temp, the cpu is 60 degrees idle and i get around 64 when playing far cry. What do u guys think? (i refreshed the heat-compound already and i have a coolermaster jet 7+)

19. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X
    and i think this is alright:

[​IMG]

20. Willy Boy

Willy Boy Master Guru

GPU:
    We have similar set ups cpu /ram/sata /audigys, i have cple of other things in tv card/dvdrw/cdrw but our temps are way off( case) temps..
    My cpu never goes over 57/58 max whatever i run !
    CASE--- 47'c mine 31'c
    CPU-----55'c mine 54'c
    sata---- 33'c mine 36'c
    ata ------37'c mine 31'c
    Cpu speed --2207mhz mine 2190mhz ? set @ 11 x 199.17mhz
    I did use an coolermaster Aero lite 7 until recently but now have a gigabyte htsink/fan but temps havnt altered much in fact the Aero was slightly lower but havnt put it back as its noisier..

But your case sensor is much higher reading 15'c + seems high maybe you need a bit better airflow or sensor is reading wrong !