1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pushing my q6600 a lil bit more

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Anubis, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Hey all

I currently have (now for more then a year and a half) my Q6600 running @3.4ghz just fine and stable.

Mobo: Asus P5q PRO
    Fsb 377*9
    VID 1.3250
    Vcore: 1.3250 in bios (1.304-1.312 in windows)
    PLL: 1.5
    FSB Termination - 1.3
    Dram - 2.1
    everything else on auto

I wanted to try to push it to 3.6ghz, as it cool enough on 3.4, so I guess it could handle it well enough..

So what do you guys suggest I should put the voltages to, and any other settings I should adjust?

EDIT:
    First attempt - semi success:
    Vcore: 1.375v (1.360 in windows)
    PLL: 1.5v
    FSB Termination: 1.36v
    Dram: 2.1v

Windows boots up fine.. everything seems to work. Temps are great on idle (34-35°c)
    Although, Prime fails after ~ 1 minute, and comp reboots..

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    Well,I think you already have a nice OC on 3,4,my Q6600 is not going 1 mhz up from 3,17 Ghz lol on a P5QD Turbo,it is a roof of the sky for it.
    Play with the Vs a bit more and see.

3. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I've put it on 1.4v (1.384 in windows), PLL on auto.
    Prime fails after a minute again, OCCT is stable for 5 mins, didn't test more yet..

4. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    1.4V core is good for 3.6 it should be stable... maybe you have to try manually on the PLL

5. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I'd love to try..
    Also other settings, NB voltage, SB voltage, memory timings, etc..
    But I dunno how :wanker:

6. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I really can't help you there as i've always used AMD builds... i'm getting an i5 now so maybe i'll manage to understand it a bit more in a few weeks ^^

7. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I've been trying to understand this for a couple of years now.. But with each mobo there comes a different bios, with different abbrevations for the same stuff.. I do know to achieve some minor stuff, but as said, PLL, termination voltage, etc. , and how they work / what is safe to do or try, is too much for me.. :p

8. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Well, with so much improvement in the BIOS department lately, with the UEFi and intelligent BIOS with auto recovery and stuff... maybe a cople of years further we'll just have to input our desired OC value in GHZ and the BIOS will do it by itself, auto testing stability and auto tuning for best possible OC within the range you inputed... no more trying to figure out what te **** PLL, vcore, nbridge, etc etc does, and for the enthusiast that wants to OC manually, leave the option for that too in a separate or secondary bios. that'd be cool

nowadays auto OC is becoming more and more stable, but it's still just trial and error in most cases, especially for high OCs

9. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    For stable 3.6 GHz i had to set VCore to 1.5 V on my Q6600.

10. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
    well in my Athlon II 640 (baseclock 3.0Ghz) to reach anything above 3.45Ghz i need 1.45V+ wich for me isn't healthy for the CPU nor MOBO as neither are made for OCing... for that i should have got a phenom BE and a PRO/DELUXE MB
    But, hey yours is 65nm mine is 45, so yours should stand higher vcores than mine

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

11. Ji1986

Ji1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 OC SLI
    To get mine stable at 3.6 My vcore was up at 1.4v and had to upthe northbridge.

however things started to glitch after about a week and I dropped it back to 3.4 and has been like that for 2 years now with no issues.

12. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    so 3.6 seems a little bit on the edge for that CPU.. anyway, not all q6600's will OC as well

13. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Nah, 3.6 is perfectly fine for a q6600..
    I'm just a noob in overclocking :p

Anyways, I've set my bios Vcore on 1.40, PLL on auto, and now it seems it works fine. Temps are good too.. 35 on idle, max 59 on stress.. And that is on air..

14. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    nice temps if stock cooler... What cooler r u using? i got my V8 a couple of months back and max temps lowered from 60ºC to 46ºC

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    3.6 is fairly easy for the G0 stepping

16. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    It is easy if you have a good chip and good mainboard. Mine would not do 3.6 on anything below 1.5 V.

17. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Lol, I also have a V8.. Great cooler, isn't it?

18. kingnosser

kingnosser Banned

GPU:
    MSI560tiTFII/OC/1GB
    Finally managed to get mine stable at 3.4Ghz tonight, with my mobo there were certain FSB holes. For me at least I feel I can not go higher on air as I have a high VID 1.325 needed 1.465v to get stable with Intel Burn Test was fine in Prime95 at 1.45v.

Temps are within the limits so I'm happy as I have tried to do this for a number of years my last mobo was a rubbish asrock 650i mobo, this one has been much better if somewhat more fiddly to use, my VID really doesn't help nor does the vdroop and FSB holes, I was somewhat amazed when it booted into windows at 3.4Ghz then just a tinkering to get stable really pleased :D