1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pushing my i7 990X further

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Darkasantion, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    Hello all,

Currently I’m running a custom build watercooled PC with the following hardware inside it:

Intel i7 990X@3.47Ghz, Watercooled
    EVGA X58 Classified 3, Watercooled
    3x2GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866Mhz@9-9-9-24
    OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240GB
    Creative Titanium HD
    2xHD6970 in Crossfire@1020/1400
    Enermax Revo85+ 1250Watt

The water first runs trough the 2 GPU’s, then cools the X58 and then the CPU, before going into a big XSPC 360 Rad, followed by a big XSPC 240 Rad, and then the reservoir and pump.

I’ve pushed the PC as hard as I could and been running it at those speeds for quite a while now, but it keeps itching to push even further so that’s why I’ve come here, in order to ask for advice to push the PC even further, if possible…

It’s running on these settings right now:

And the advice is seek is the following:
    1. How much would I gain if I could push my NB towards ~4000Mhz? Alot or won’t it make a huge difference? Also, in order to clock the NB higher, which setting(s) do I need to tweak, because as soon as I go beyond 1,5x Memory clocks it won’t boot atm….
    2. PCI-E is running at 102Mhz, would I gain something by going another 1~2Mhz faster or is that waisted time/effort?
    3. Is it a good idea to put some more volts trough the PCI-E bus, considering I have my soundcard, my SDD and both GPU’s running on it?
    4. How much would I gain by having memory with higher speeds and/or lower latencies? For example, +2100Mhz @8-8-8-20 orso.
    5. How much would I gain if I would increase my BClock any further? Right now the limit seems to be around 166Mhz, but I’m guessing that’s the memory holding me back, or the chip going beyond 4.75GHz without enough volts.
    6. Is it a good idea to lower my multi towards 28 or lower and start pushing my BClock more, while also pusing the QPI/NB higher, with the memory staying around 950Mhz? Or wouldn’t I gain alot there?

Some questions are a bit basic, I realize that, but I’m really keen on finding out where I possible could gain a bit more of performance(if possible) or if there have been area’s where I’ve been lacking/underperforming in terms of pushing things towards the max.

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Right, lets see. First thing to consider is that you can leave the Bclock at stock, as your CPU has a totally unlocked multiplier, you should be using that as the OC rather than faffing with the Bclock.

Even at 6400 GT/s (133 x 48) for the QPI, there is more than enough bandwidth for the CPU to send data to the northbridge.

The Westmere CPUs prefer lower Bclock and higher multi anyway. I can run mine at 133 x 33 all day long for 4.4 GHz, limited only by temps on my air cooler.

You might struggle getting the NB/Uncore to run so high with such fast RAM, you might get 1 or 2 notches above the 1.5 minium and that will need more VTT and QPI voltage to occur.

Not much point sending the PCIe over 100, we still can't saturate it nowadays, and as for the voltage, don't go above +0.1V over standard. Yes, having more PCIe devices needs more voltage, but too much might fry things.

RAM wise, I'm not sure you'd get it much faster than that. You might be able to get latencies down by faffing with some of the offsets, but much more juice than 1.66 is going to fry the memory controller in no time.

Basically, I'd drop the Bclock back to 133 and start again upping the CPU multiplier, given that's what your CPU is designed for. Try sticking it first in the loop as well, will give cooler temperatures.

3. kingnosser

kingnosser Banned

GPU:
    MSI560tiTFII/OC/1GB
    Idk if it's just me although I don't have water cooling, I would have thought you would have the coldest water goto the CPU first would help keep the temps down before getting heated up by the GPU's. Unless I have misunderstood what your saying.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    What is the batch number of your cpu?(you can find this ontop of the cpu or on the cpu box)

What overclock would you like to achieve at the moment,do you have an idea?

Edit......BRING YOUR DRAM VOLTAGE DOWN TO 1.65!!!!Or you will risk damaging it!!!You dont need to run any higher than 1.65(within spec/without cooling ram) or 1.66v

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Damn... 1.70v. :3eyes:

Good luck with that. lol

6. bdub5886

bdub5886 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Yeah, why are you overclocking with BCLK when you have an unlocked multiplier?

7. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    I have no idea what batch of CPU I have, as the CPU itself is installed in the PC and I don't really wanna take it out again at this momemt. Also have thrown away the CPU Box, so can't check that either.

Already toyed a bit with it yesterday and brought down the Memory voltage towards 1.66V, as 1.7V was to high and it seems my NB is holding me back at those high speeds. Tested once at 140BClock and the memory at 1333Mhz and then all of the sudden the NB easily wanted to run at ~3200Mhz, yet at 155+BClock anything beyond 1.5x Mem Speed results in a PC booting up, but not going beyond the start-up screen. So question now is, what would gain me more, raising NB speeds or keeping the memory speeds high?

Raised BClock towards 162Mhz with a Multi of 29 yesterday and seems stable.. To adress the question regarding raising the BClock with an unlocked CPU, I've done this, because this also allows me to push the QPI/NB a bit, as I've have the feeling this would gain me the most in terms of overall performance compared to leaving it at 133 and just pushing the multi.
    Also, my chips seems to have a "wall" around 4.7~4.8Ghz, as anything beyond that requires alot more Vcore, as when I was pushing my multi with a rather low BClock(~145), I also ended up around those clocks. So as I've thought I had figured out the max of the chip, I started raising the BClock to overclock the entire system outside the CPU aswell.

In terms of cooling, yes my CPU is the last to recieve it's water after the 2 GPU's and the mobo, might reroute it and then check afterwards what it does towards my temps, would I gain alot with that then?

And then towards the last question, the overclock I basicly want(ed) to archieve is +5Ghz 24/7 on the 990X, but I've the feeling that unless I start using even cooler cooling 4.7~4.8Ghz is my 24/7 limit. (Not that that is bad either, a 36% overclock on one of the worlds fastest and strongest CPU is not something to really complain about :nerd: )

Also made myself a very nice Excel sheet to calculate my rough clocks on CPU/NB/QPI/Memory and BClock. And the "sweet-spots" I found out are 135~140Mhz, 155~165Mhz or +195Mhz, as then I have the QPI running faster than 6.4Ghz, the NB is also getting some boost beyond 2.8Ghz, the memory is not going much beyond the specified 933Mhz and the CPU is around 4.7Ghz.

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    You should be running it at 133 x 36 for the same settings. You won't be saturating that 6.4 GT/s QPI. PhatBoy had some issues with a 990x at 5 GHz due to electromigration btw, fried a couple I think.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  10. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    Been toying with the CPU all weekend and running OCCT first to test stability and then IBT, which turned out to be much harder on the entire system during Maximum stress testing which took over 3300 seconds in total in the final stable test-run. OCCT approved 4.7Ghz with a multi of 29 and a BClock of 163Mhz, yet IBT didn't support that speed, even with more Vcore on the 990X. So I went back towards a more stable BClock of 160Mhz, with 1.462V on the core which is now running on 4.65Ghz.

So I really have the feeling that my current "wall" is around 4.7Ghz in terms of CPU-speed, if I wanna go any higher I need to raise my Vcore quite drasticly, which I don't wanna do ofcourse. Will toy a bit more with my other voltages and see if I can get them any lower, thus reduce power consumption and heat production, but also to check out if a more stable CPU also allows me to push the NB a bit more, as currently the NB is beeing very picky about when it's willing to work and not. Also wanna test if the memory is willing to push +2200Mhz(next step on memory multi, but I've my doubts there). So that's the to do list for this week :). After that I'll give my HD6970's some loving to see where I could gain a bit more there...

Also, did have the entire CPU on ~5.3Ghz once, but that was on 1.7Vcore just for giggles and fun, but forgot to make a screenshot...

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    i dont think you will have any problems with regard to running your memory at 2000mhz+ when using an xmp profile but making the memory run at this speed while using the bclk and multiplyer in syncronisation is a lot more difficult because you need your cpu to be able to go the extra yard which means

1.a cpu cabable of going the extra distance
    2.good coolling

There are other factors but these are the main 2.

Your oc on your ram is only as good as your cpu oc, as a memory profile only oc's your ram and ram only!