Pure Video HDTV?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bigcstyle, Jan 30, 2005.

1. bigcstyle

bigcstyle Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800
    I recently bought a BFG 6800. I was wondering how to use the pure video feature. I have the dvd decoder installed and I use Media Player 10 and VLC as my HDTV players, but I have not noticed a better picture than my geforce 4 gave. Is there away to setup Pure Video??

Thanlks

2. Coolppl

Coolppl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForceFX 5600 VIVO 128MB
    Unless you previously had bad decoding or deinterlacing with HDTV's I feel unfortunately sorry about your purchase for the GeForce 6 if you bought it for image quality reasons.

PureVideo is a technology which decodes WMV HD or other HDTV content like MPEG-2 (not sure about DivX) on the Graphics Card Video Proccessor itself reducing CPU Usage insanely! Unless you got incorrect deinterlacing patterns or frame skipping/dropping, then you will notice the difference

One of the biggest difference you will actually experience image quality wise is Color Correction which is really just like Digital Vibrance Control for Overlay....

3. Wmc90

Wmc90 Master Guru

GPU:
    P.O.V. 7900GTX 680/1720
    the advantage of purevideo is that it takes load off the cpu, not really better image quality (although it should be better)

check your cpu load whilst your playing a video, if it is at 80%(ish) then purevideo is not working

if it is a 10%(ish) then it is working fine

4. mezkal

mezkal Master Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle Geforce 6600 GT AGP 128MB
    Purevideo is practically an MPEG engine. Therefore it supports all types of MPEG encoded video, such as MPEG 1 (VCD) MPEG 2 (DVD), WMV, DivX (not XviD entirely as some of it hacked/different) and even Quicktime 4 and 5 (both use MPEG 4 same as DivX but with a different colourspace)

Purevideo DECODING (no 6800 works for ENconding yet) doesn't work properly (if at all) with any 6800 card I've tested - 10% CPU usage denotes that at least some of it is being handled by the CPU. On the other hand the 6600GT (and 6600 in most cases) works properly with both encoding and decoding but not with all drivers. In my tests only 66.81, 67.22 and 67.65 seem to use the PV features fully.

I've tested all of the drivers using my 6600GT via my Loewe Xelos WS TV @ 720P (1280x720 PROGRESSIVE) HDTV res.

Cheers,

5. bigcstyle

bigcstyle Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800
    My CPU usage is at 8 Percent when I am watching HDTV with VLC and Media Player so I guess it is working. If anyone of you is famiar with VLC what is the best quality interlacing option to choose??

6. Coolppl

Coolppl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForceFX 5600 VIVO 128MB
    My opinion.... The one that delivers the "best" image quality to the videos :cool:

7. bigcstyle

bigcstyle Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800
    Its hard to tell. However, I think it is better to use some kind of interlacing then none. Am I correct?

By the way thanks for everyones input!

8. mezkal

mezkal Master Guru

GPU:
    VLC uses it's own internal engine for video decoding. It doesn't use extenal codecs and can only do VM9 Renderless output for DirectX. It's uses the FFMPEG totally software driven MPEG decodingg engine, as used in Linux's MPLAYER - that's why it's a platform portable program.

Too see PureVideo in action you need to install Windows Mediaplayer 9. You don't have to use it as Media Player Classic (included with the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack) will use all of WMP9 features - including support for PureVideo.

Cheers,

9. bigcstyle

bigcstyle Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800
    Will it work with media player 10? I am currently getting 8 percent psu while running it. So I am assuming its working/..

10. mezkal

mezkal Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes WMP10 uses the same libraries and support the same features as WMP9.

Looks like it's working for you :)

11. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    how the heck can it work for him ? he has a 6800 ! however i read somewhere that the vanilla 6800's will work, but the Ultra's and GT's wont ... any truth to that you think ?