purchase advice (Asus Xonar / Auzentech X-Fi)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Geonosis, Jan 29, 2008.

?

Which one should I buy?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2008.
  1. Asus Xonar D2(X)

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Geonosis

Geonosis New Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 2900 XT
    Dear community,

I'm planning to substitute the onboard sound of my motherboard with an AddIn-Soundcard. It should fulfill the following requirements:
    • (at least) good quality playing back music
    • optical digital audio out (to connect it with my amp)
    • it has to work under XP32 and Vista64 without problems
    • EAX support is not that important

Basically, I've got the choice between the "Asus Xonar D2(X)" or the "Auzentech Auzen X-Fi Prelude". I do not consider the original X-Fi series because they lack an optical-out without buying another add-on module (except for the more expensive versions, besides those modules aren't available in Germany for some reason) and they do not support DDL oder DTS encoding in real time.
    But both of my two choices have individual strengths and weaknesses. Both do support EAX (up to their version) under Vista using either ALchemy or Asus' new beta drivers. Besides both of them do sound very good.

Pros and cons:

Pro Xonar
    -DolbyDigital-Live and DTS realtime encoding Out-of-the-box
    -cheaper
    -(from my point of view) slightly better music playback

Con Xonar
    -EAX-Support up to 2.0
    -higher CPU usage

Pro X-Fi Prelude
    -lower CPU usage
    -EAX 5 support

Con X-Fi Prelude
    -DDL and DTS support will only be added by driver updates (and DTS won't be available under XP either)
    -Creative's driver-support isn't that... um... good... ;)

I'd be happy to get some advice from you! Thank you!

Geonosis

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Why do you think DTS-C won't be available under XP? Actually the driver support for the Prelude has been good. It really depends what your into, you need to decide if the GAMING features are what you want because other then that, the card are very similar for features and functions. I reviewed both card for HWC's and I liked them both. Personally I use a Prelude 7.1. With the Prelude you also get the ability to add HDMI 1.3 audio capabilities to your card.

3. Geonosis

Geonosis New Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 2900 XT
    I'm quite relieved to hear that both cards are really good, so that I don't need to worry to much :)
    As to DTS realtime encoding. I stumbled across an announcement on the AuzenTech homepage reading
    "Additional X-Fi Prelude Features Coming Soon
    DTS® Interactive
    for Vista
    Scheduled for Q1 of 2008

DTS NEO:pC™
    for Vista
    Scheduled for Q1 of 2008
    About DTS NeoPC"

so I thought those would be Vista-only features...

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hmm. Interesting wording but given the DDL driver is XP compatibile I think the DTS driver will be also. AS for the Quality of the cards, they are both very nice sounding cards. Really those to are the champs right now. The Prelude will give you HDMI 1.3 which is like the holy grail of digital audio -some say. If that is of interest to you.

5. kona1

kona1 New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC
    I will say go with the Prelude whitout a doubt.

I have both of them and the Xonar D2X have crappy driver. Lot of issue: high distortion and very low volume on Vista x64, and it simply refuse to works with my ATI 550 TV card and ATI 2600XT on any OS. (I've bougth it for this HTPC in mind so very upset with that. I think the conflict is the onboard sound of the ATI but even disabled it doesn't works)

OTH it gives well balanced sound with XP x86 and my Klipsch 5.1 ultra ProMedia for music only. Games sound quality is not impresive at all i.e. like MB onboard sound. (I've tried both EAX and OpenAL in CMR DiRT but neither is good enough specialy for a 200$ card and didn't want to waist my time further testing so I've removed it.)

As for the Prelude it is near the perfect soundcard with amazing gaming sound, music, DVD everything is good. The driver are very good, solid in XP and Vista, no crash at all for months unlike the Xonar. The installer is not bloated with crap like Creative stuff, Auzentech did their own package with just the essential.

So bottom line I will sell the Xonar ASAP and find something else for the HTPC and keep the Prelude for my gaming rig.

6. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB
    My vote would go for the Auzen Prelude. You won't regret that card, especially when you're also a gamer. DDL support is already available. The only thing that remains now is DTS, but that will be added later.

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    same here i will also recommand the prelude. they should say DD live and dts is for both xp and vista but they dont. that inup cofusing people.

But yea DD live is also for XP and so will DTS.

8. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yep, I'd say go for the Prelude as well, have one myself and it's brilliant, onboard just doesn't compare, especially when playing games :D

9. XeonX2

XeonX2 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti
    prelude is de way to go. im loving my prelude over my old xtreme music and i din regret from changing... Toobad you can't SLI soundcards lol i would get another prelude and see if the sound improves even more xD.

10. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Prelude...

even though this is an old thread XD