Psyko 5.1 Headphones Official Launch‏

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Thursday, April 22, 2010
    Hey Guys, as some of you may now Pysko 5.1 gaming headphones have been released to the public. They should be showing up to the bigger retailers quite soon.
    I know there are mixed feelings on the subject of 5.1 headphones in the audio community. What can be said about this system is they seem to steer clear from the tradition type of 5.1 can design and approach the problem from a new angle. So we cannot judge these based on the bad designs and poor examples of the past, Of course as they say the proof is in the pudding!
    It will be interesting to see or rather hear what they have to offer gamers.

Do we have any opinions?

2. Gumby

Gumby Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TitanX
    Psyko 5.1 Headphones

ROBSCIX,

Will you be reviewing these?

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Can't say for sure.

4. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    i saw these headphones in a mag 6months ago like a preview and they look awesome but at $500 a piece i think i wont be getting them. it said they create the 5.1 with extra speakers on your skull or maybe it was pipes im not sure cant remember. i had a pair of supposed 5.1 headphones that were no good same as normal headphones. the ones i have now are heaps better.

5. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    i just got my roccat kave 5.1 yesterday arrived from UK.. the sound is phenomenal.
    hope there will be a review on this psyko headset.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They have a $299 MSRP, that is for the headphones, amplifer and cables.

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    I saw those on newegg also when I saw they was 299 I laughed. No matter how good they suppose to be. They aint worth 299. 100 maybe, but 299 is pushing it. I find it silly for them to be that much. Tho if i want 5.1 that bady, I will spend less getting a center speaker a sub and the rears which all i need to finnish my 5.1 speaker setup.

Then they should also sell it alone without the amp I sure the amp is just for use with a non Computer device. but 299 they either need to knock that down to 100 or 200 dollars or sell the headphone alone.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I wouldn't say that, I think it depends on how good they actually are. High end stereo headphones easily go well beyond $300. I prefer 5.1 speaker myself for any surround sound games but there are times when they are not practical such as late at night. Really 5.1 is the best when it is loud and you are right into the effects.
    The 5.1 cans I have seen in the past and tested leave alot to be desired in comparison to high qulaity 2.0 running CMSS3D or DH.
    Those set with all the speaker in the same ear type of thing...this being a new idea, we would have to test them out and then form opinions.

I think the amplifer is there to drive the headphones, they are probably high impedance drivers. Not to mention, I doubt a PC soundcard would be able to drive 6 channels without some type of power amplification. The line outs are meant to drive line inputs...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    I know high end headphones goes beyond 300 but there high end, I dont trust any 5.1 headphones any more after using 3 pairs my self. I sure if they magical appear at my door, i give them a shot just to see how they is. Tho even then I dont think i would spend 299 on them unless they was a pair of high end headphones and I was Donald thrump.

10. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I have been talking about these for some time now,and I really thought I was the only person to have a set.I've had mine for about a year now and they finally made it to the big stores. Now all will find I was not BSing about how good I think these things are. I really hope ROBSCIX gets his hands on a set as his input is valued and who knows?,He may echo my opinion.Great cans for gaming.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well I prefer to make opinions about items I have actually tested....as for the review: We shall see.

12. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Checked NCIX Canada but they are not found. Nor are they available at Tiger D in Canada. Strange,given the fact they are built in Canada.I have a set and I want to get a set for my wife. Even thier own site says 'Sold Out'.

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Give it some time. I would think based on the size of the company and the lauch that they would have pre-orders to fill before mass marketing hits. Meaning every unit they built for now is technically "sold out"... They are coming though for those interested.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  14. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    For the price its just not worth it. Most any other 5.1 will be just as good. And if for music for that price you can get some way better ones. The key word .. just look at them.. custom.. made.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well it is hard to grade a set of headphones without actually listening to them.
    I wouldn't think they will sound the same at all as they are designed totally different.

These use waveguides etc to produce the sound cues, others set I have seen usually always have all the drivers in the ear peice.

16. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    ROBSCIX is correct. The Psykos have five speakers[drivers] in the Headband with tubes guiding the sound to each ear.There are no speakers in the ear cups other than the sub for each ear.Almost how the Bose speakers work at directing sound. Almost. The tubes act as the conduit for sound and the tubes are different lengths that let you hear things around you that really makes it real.I'm no audiophle and it is difficult for me to try explaining the tech.but I gotta tell you,these things work. They are a bit heavy at first,but once they are on,they are very comfortable. Exactly like the Tritton AX Pros except for the Psykos having flaps that let air flow through the ear cups. That's because there are no speakers there. Man I wish ROBSCIX or some other audio Pro could provide all with a proper description and review.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Be patient ;) I think it will be awhile before you see any official review of the product.

18. Gumby

Gumby Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TitanX
    I'm hoping you can get a set to review so we can hear from you if they work good/bad.

19. Uzito

Uzito Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 Black DD
    Well, the latest headphone review on HardOCP confirms that Psyko 5.1 is an overpriced garbage. Too bad.

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    In the audio world opinions will vary on most products.