Psychonauts 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 14, 2021.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
  2. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    Looks like this is out now. I’m curious to see if there’s any benefit to playing this on PC over XSX. I haven’t seen any comparisons yet, not sure if DF will be doing one.

3. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    I went with PC because it looks as though the Anisotropic Filtering is considerably better on PC. I then find out there’s no HDR on PC, it’s exclusive to X/S, which makes no sense because THEY’RE BOTH MICROSOFT PLATFORMS. Unbelievable.

4. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900 XT
    Also Psychonauts 2 doesn't support Auto HDR on Windows 11 which sucks.

wrathloki likes this.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This game might cost an eye-watering £54.99 on Steam but from the first 3+ hours of gameplay on my PC I can categorically state that this is an absolutely awesome game so far.

I am astounded at how faithful they've stayed to the art style of the classic (and still brilliant) 2005 original yet it looks suitably modern and slick, running on Unreal Engine 4 with very nice lighting and effects. Runs at 100-120 fps on maxed out 1440p setting even on my ancient rig but it does have some DX12 stuttering issues, unfortunately. Not enough to ruin the game but you will notice them and they can be a little distracting in what is otherwise a very polished and well-written game.

And it is so damn fun to play too. It's goofy and funny and weird and bizarre, which is everything I was hoping for from this sequel. It took over 15 years to arrive but this is one sequel that was well-worth waiting for.

Now excuse me... I need to get back to playing it..

AsiJu, ShadowDuke and wrathloki like this.
  6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    I too am really loving this game, though I’m playing on XSX with the gimped anisotropic filtering in exchange for HDR. I think HDR is totally crucial for this game, it looks so good. I don’t understand why console games so often gimp their AF, it’s not as though it’s a very intensive setting and it adds a lot to the quality of the image.

7. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    I just 100%ed this in a week. What a smart, creative, fun game. The level design and art style is above and beyond anything I’ve seen in a platformer and the mechanics feel great. The writing, voice acting and music is also top notch. I’d say it’s in my top 5 games of all time.

AsiJu likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I'm intrigued totally, not least because this looks like a playable Pixar animation :)

Not familiar with the franchise though, is this a puzzle platformer or similar?
    There seems to be combat too?

9. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    It’s a 3D platformer definitely, not exactly sure what qualifies as a puzzle platformer as I’ve never heard that term before. But yes there’s combat too, more complicated than a Mario game’s combat but much less so than a DMC or something.

Basically the game has an overworld consisting of 4 areas you can traverse and then you go into people’s minds where they do all kinds of crazy and creative platforming things, thematically, artistically, and mechanically. Pixar is a good description though I’d say more accurately this is halfway between Tim Burton and Pixar. It can be played by kids and adults though it does go pretty deep into some psychological stuff that only adults would understand. For example you go into the mind of someone that’s an alcoholic and you learn about the roots of his alcoholism and the level design reflects that in the form of beer can and booze bottle platforms and swizzle sticks you can climb, stuff like that.

AsiJu likes this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Thanks!

With puzzle platformer I meant something like Trine series.