Psu

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RAB86, May 26, 2011.

1. RAB86

RAB86 Member

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC
    I couldn't post in the general hardware section for some reason it kept looping me into the login screen.

I just bought an AX1200 corsair PSU and the moment that I had everything hooked up and turned on the power button smoke came from the front of the machine. It turned out that I had created a closed loop by supplying power from my psu to the fan controller twice(stupid). The wire burnt up (the fan controller wire) and I took the controller out and hooked everything up correctly. My question is did it damage the psu in any way? I have experienced zero problems with it.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. Larry!

Larry! Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 295
    Chances are if it still works it's fine, That's a good unit it should be pretty tough. I had a similar mishap with my Antec, a misplaced screw somehow found it's way into the supply without me noticing and when I powered it up I got a pop and flash and a bit of smoke but all is well with the screw now removed the unit works wonderful.

Good reason right there why most of us will always use and recommend a quality power supply.

3. RAB86

RAB86 Member

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC
    Yeah it works fine, but I was wondering if it will be hampered in some way now, like not working to it's full potential if I was to upgrade and push it to it's limits. I guess that's tough question to answer and I'l probably just have to test it somehow.

4. Alpha

Alpha Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6950
    I wouldn't risk to kill my hardware or even the whole house with this PSU, if i were you. My old gfxcard cought fire and luckily i was there to extinguish it. Don't want to imagine what could happen if your PC is running with the damaged PSU when you aren't at home. Smoke is never a good sign.
    Edit: Have misread it :bang: If your PSU doesn't smell burned and everything looks fine in it, you should be good.

Last edited: May 26, 2011

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    The PSU will be fine.
    If the PSU had encountered an unsafe current load, it would have shut down.
    There is danger in using very high power PSUs, the higher the power allowed on any single rail, the more chance it has of frying anything that has near a short circuit as it wont shut down until its own critical criteria are satisfied.
    The PSU shrugged its shoulders saying 'and?'.

6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    naw that won't hurt the PSU internals...can't tell from your description how it was connected....maybe just supplied 12V on a 5V circuit in the controller

7. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Should still be good. You could hook up a tester (if you have one that is) and verify that all the voltages are within their parameters; or you could use some software to monitor the voltages while doing a stress test.