PSU, vga booster,HD 3850 AGP please advice.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by salento9, May 13, 2008.

1. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    I have the same mobo as you and I changed my PSU to an Antec Smartpower 500 Watt ((Model SP-500)and I used two separate 12 volt lines from the PSU to connect to the included 12volt (y connector) and those two separate amp current lines, added up to the maximum 30 amp required. My system is stable and runs all games at twice the FPS and loading times. Good luck

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. evolucion888

evolucion888 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6900
    That's a nice PSU, I'm a bit scared of it due to it's high failure rate that it has. I used to have it on my rig paired with a Pentium 4 EE 3.4GHz and a Radeon X800XT PE, but when I upgrade to a geCube X1950XT, during games the PC would turn off for no reason. I found that the PSU wasn't strong enough for that kind of load (P4 EE during load can suck up to 109W of Power, and the vidcard with it's TEC cooler can suck up to 130W during load). I ended buying the Coolmax Greenpower 700B which later didn't work with my HD 3850. It served me for almost a year with no issues except for the later one.

I still having that PSU somewhere around and I used it to power my Pentium M and the HD 3850 for 6 days while I waited for the OCZ PSU, and I played games on it and never had a single issue.

3. 00tonytone

00tonytone New Member

Sapphire AGP 512mb HD3850

I have the same problem, My ati 256mb 9550 agp card Plays my online video games better then when i installed the 512mb HD 3850, I need help on what powersupply to get, i already spent 178 dollars in newegg for hd 3850 now my powersupply isnt cutting it to run the new card. this is my system
    Intel d865 perl , pen 4 2.8 512 800fsb ,1gig ddr 400 ram, 250 gig 7200rpm 16mb HD and Hercules 400 watt PSU.
    by the way the HD 3850 has a 8 pin PCI-E connector that gets power threw 2 molex connectors. I want to know if i can get a PSU that has the 8pin PCI - E connector and use that, would it be enough amps, it requires 30 amps. And can i get a PSU that has 3 12 volt rails with around 18 amps on each rail, or does the 30 amps have to be on 1 rail. this is the PSU that i had in mind. IT has the PCI-E that can be 6 pin or 8 pin which is what the AGP 3850 Has to power the card. THis is like the 4th forum i register to trying to get help, and only reply i get is AGP is dead let it die already,I know PCI-E is the lastest but im waiting a little before i upgrade to PCI-E. anyway i think i will get help here, i been reading these posts and they look good.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er+Supplies-_-OCZ+Technology++Inc.-_-17341012

4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    The 30 amp recommendation is for powering the complete system...the card by itself only draws about 5 or 6 amps. The OCZ500SXS you have in mind will be fine.

5. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Actually the Sapphire HD3850 Box cover reads, "450 Watt or greater power supply with 30 Amps on 12 volt rail with 2x4 power connector recommended." This statement on the box doesn't indicate the Whole system running at 30 Amps, it clearly states what the videocard requires and I asked the store salesman about the power requirements of this card. I am not having problems with online games and I used the dongle that is included with the vcard. I have split two separate 12 volt leads coming off my PSU and used the dongle to connect the two separate 12 volt rails(One rail supports up to 19 amps and the other supports 17 amps of current) Everything is at stock speeds and I can play my games at 1920x1200 resolution at High Definition (HDMI)

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
  7. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Are we not talking AMPS , not power consumption (watts) ...measure with an AMP metre and then give us the proper amp readings because that is what the manufacturer is talking about, there is no mention of wattage requirements on the box.

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well, it does if you'll bother to do the math...30 amps times 12 volts equals 360 watts. That's more than your entire system consumes.

Since you want to be difficult...let me point out that when you power something off of different molex wires coming off the PSU you aren't accessing two different rails anyway...all of the molex connectors are on the same rail.

See, the salesman isn't the only person wrong about this...

9. 00tonytone

00tonytone New Member

HD 3850 amp requirement

The 2X4 Means you need 2 free molex connectors to connect to the adapter that converts to 8 pin PCI-E, but i think if you have multiple rails that add up to +30 on a PSU that has an 8 pin PCI-E, you can eliminate the adapter and connect the 8 pin PCI-E connector, I checked all the black wires and yellow wires are in the same place.
    What im worried about is getting a PSU that isnt compatible with my Intel d865perl
    I found a 3 12volt rail modular PSU with 6+2 PCI-E connector for under 60 dollars its an Antec and 550 watts. I would like to go with this one when Newegg has it back in stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

10. 00tonytone

00tonytone New Member

That was a nice find on HD 3850 power consumption, I thought 12volt rails were like breakers if they are on the same line(wire) they are same rail, If there is another 12volt line coming out of PSU its a different rail (breaker). Is that not why everybody prefers multiple rails and its also more expensive

11. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    That's right...the molex-to-PCI-E adapter is just for people who don't have a PSU with an 8-pin PCI-E connector. The PCI-E connector is preferable since it will have less resistance and therefor less voltage drop then the adapters.

As far as 12V wires exiting the PSU and rails...well no, there's no PSU that puts each wire (or cable of multiple 12V wires) each on an individually circuit protected rail. There isn't a hard and fast standard for which connectors go on which rail either...PSU engineers are free to distribute power however they want...but MOST dual rail PSU's with one PCI-E connector will put the CPU power (4-pin ATX 12V and 8-pin EPS connectors) on one rail and everything else on the other. Dual rail PSU's that have two PCI-E connectors but with both connectors on one single cable exiting the PSU will have the same distribution. Dual rail PSU's with two separate PCI-E connectors on two separate cables will often put the CPU power and one PCI-E on one rail and everything else on the other.

I have never seen a PSU that didn't put all of the molex connectors on one rail...regardless of how many rails and how many molex cables the PSU has.

BTW...simply adding up the individual current limits in a PSU isn't the way to determine if it meets a retailers amperage recommendation. The recommendations refer to the combined 12V output rating...you can find that for most PSU's in the thread here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763

As far as Intel D865PERL goes...any modern ATX unit will be compatible. If it had ISA slots then you would want an old design with a -5 rail for that. Socket 478 CPU's use the 12V rail...so again any modern ATX unit will work fine.

12. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Can you elaborate on this? I have almost the same board (OEM-version) and almost the same PSU (little less juice) and I'm planning to get an AGP 3850.

13. 00tonytone

00tonytone New Member

Thanks Makalu

Thanks for the help Makalu, newegg has that Antec BP550 bp550 back in stock since last night, i was just waiting on reply here to see if it was compatible because of that atx 12v 2.2v I wasnt sure but my intel doesnt have ISA that slot is really OLD, lol . An Antec 3 12volt rails modular with Pci-e 6+2 connector for under 60 dollars, you cant beat that. And your right the PCI-E connector is distributed out with the 20+4 pins that power the motherboard, the rest of the molex and sata connectors plug into the psu. Newegg should take about 3 days to deliver, ILL let others here know how it goes, especially Klaus_1250 who is planning on getting the AGP 512mb HD3850
    thanks again Mak. and peaceout

14. salento9

salento9 Member

GPU:
    ATI RADEON HD 3850 AGP
    No changes

Dears,

Finally I've received the new psu corsair tx650 watt, after installation with the ccc 8.5
    i can't see any significant changes on my pc.
    i must play Crisys on low parameters as before, what's wrong?
    does my pc can really play crisys on full parameters? could be a bottleneck or maybe my DELL SCREEN 1707fp ?
    thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  15. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980m 8GB
    No system can run Crysis maxed out, you should look into upgrading from your system in the near future if you wish to play new games at the maximum settings.

16. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I think that is the problem. You should have installed the drivers. It is slow because the old drivers are disabled automatically.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  17. salento9

salento9 Member

GPU:
    ATI RADEON HD 3850 AGP
    Hello

which drivers you speak about?

i've downloded and installed the last saphhire ati and ccc drivers, 8.5, do you speak about other motherboard drivers or win XP service pack 3?

Thanks in advance for you answer.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008