PSU upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CheloARG, May 27, 2015.

1. CheloARG

CheloARG Member

GPU:
    x2 SLI EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Hey everyone,

Recently I've been told that I should upgrade my PSU. I know I should, because the one I have is Corsair entry level and since I'm trying to improve my rig till it's "perfect", I really should buy another PSU.

So, there's a lot of guides in Google and forums, blogs, etc., but what would you suggest for my rig? I was thinking in 1000w maybe, it's too much but whatever.

Thanks for your time and help!

2. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti

If you current power supply is working well and isn't very old, there's no real reason to upgrade it.

If you still want to upgrade it, there's a few good options for your build. 1,000 watts would be way overkill for your rig. I'd suggest a Corsair RM850 or AX860 if you want to go Corsair. If you're looking to change brands, EVGA offers the SuperNOVA 850 G2 which is a great power supply and has a 10 year warranty.

I'm currently running an RM850, my friend is running an RM750 and I just built a PC for my Father using the AX860. I love the Corsair power supplies and my only complaint across the range is how difficult it is to plug in the modular cables to the power supply. I feel it needs too much force, but overall they're my favorite power supplies to use.

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    From Guru3D reviews "90% efficient at 50% load Efficiency matters"
    A PSU at 50% is at its most efficient so use a PSU calculator to see what you are using. Then double it you have the PSU size you need.

when your system requires an 650w PSU why run it at 90/100% I went 1300w and run at around 50% same cost to use but I never worry about
    do I need a higher wattage PSU when I overclock or add or upgrade my PC components.

I also bought a PSU with a 10 year warranty who knows what will be in my PC in 5 years at least I know my PSU will handle it.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Power supplies are typically most efficient at 50 percent load, that is true. However, you reasoning behind a 1300 W PSU is a little off. It's only true if you run your computer at 100 percent load all the time, that includes CPU, PSU, fans, etc. That simply isn't true. Even when gaming, you are unlikely to be running these at 100 percent. I reality, you are probably using more power with a 1300 W PSU than say, an 850 W, simply because you will be spending more time below the 50 percent load target.

If I were you, I'd go for the EVGA Supernova 850 W G2.

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    if its a really really good 850w PSU it will be better but I get gold level all the way down to 10% load

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=349

Summary
    With a total score even higher than the 1kW model, the EVGA G2 1300 watt unit takes everything that is good about little brother and somehow manages to completely obliterate the competition by bringing it to market at an unbeatable price. All things considered, I don't know of any one single power supply at or near this power level that can do the job any better. This... is the power supply to beat at the 1300 watt level right now. It is that damn good. This is the power supply that makes you say, "screw Platinum efficiency, I'm getting an EVGA G2 1300 instead." Heck, I want one, and I already have one.
    The Good:

• beyond excellent voltage regulation
    • beyond excellent ripple suppression
    • better than 87% efficiency all the way down to the 10% load level
    • fully modular
    • extremely affordable
    • 10 year warranty
    The Bad:

• nothing at all
    The Mediocre:

• could use a better manual
    • Capxon on the modular board

6. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The EVGA ones (aka rebranded Super Flower) are good and -mostly- priced reasonably.
    Dat fan off switch, sweeeeet. (don't think sub 1k ones have it tho)

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed with the others. For your needs, a quality 850-900w psu would be perfect...