PSU Upgrade Opinion ????

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RS-X, Aug 26, 2013.

1. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 super
    1st check my full configuration
    Processor: Intel Core I5 2500k @4ghz, + Cooler master hyper 212+

Mother Board: Gigabyte Z77 –D3H

RAM: Transcend 4 X 2 DDR3 1600mhz

HDD: 1. Samsung spin-point F3 1TB
    2. Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000 2TB

DVD: ASUS combo drive (DVD, RW,R + -)

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z (PCI EX 1X)

TV card: Aver Media Volar USB

GPU: MSI GTX 760 OC. (core 1100 boost 1250, mem 1600 MHz = 6400 MHz)

FAN: 5 X 120mm, 1 X 220mm

Standard Logitech Keyboard + Mouse pack

PSU: Thermaltake Smart Power M550

Today I was planning to purchase an SSD but I am a little concern about My PSU. It is a standard Thermaltake SMART M550W. I am not very sure if it is enough to power my current system in OCied condition. And If I add one SSD if it will be enough to Juice up.

I checked the eXtreme power supply calculator webpage and after putting all the hardware details, it suggested that in OC condition I need 506w minimum 556W recommended and in non oc condition I need 477w minimum and 527 recommended.

Before GTX 760 I was running HD 7850 which is considerably less power consuming then GTX 760.

So what do you people suggest? Do I need a better PSU or This PSU is enough? Hope you people will guide me. I have already stopped the overclocking.

LINK:
    PSU: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001818
    Review PSU: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/39537-thermaltake-smart-m550w-psu/
    Planed SSD: http://in.transcend-info.com/products/CatList.asp?FldNo=21&LangNo=0&Func1No=0&Func2No=23
    MY GPU: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_msi_gaming_review,1.html

PS: Sorry for Bad English

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That PSU will be fine, it's a decent unit with 42A on the +12v rail. that 2500k@4ghz isn't at all power hungry, same goes for a gtx 760. You will be ok, no worries, considering the PSU is healthy. Whatever calculator you used, I don't believe those numbers, they seem high.

EDIT: SEE HERE. Hilbert reviewed the MSI gtx 760 HAWK, running 1176/6008, with a more power hungry cpu. The whole rig peaked at 279W under full stress. Sure, he most likely only runs 1 SSD and uses a test bench with water cooling, but your HDDs and SSD and fans will not consume that much power at all. A decent 550W unit will be enough so I wouldn't worry.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Standard SSD draws a Watt or two.

4. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 super
    thank you eclap. well said. I think your reply help me calm down. To tell you honestly i was under a lot of tension regarding the PSU.

Any more opinion, suggestions ??

5. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I've been using a Tagan 580W with my system running an SSD, 4x Sata HDD, 1 Sata DVD and an external 1.5TB drive numerous fans etc. and never had any power problems. That PSU was bought in 2006 too so you'll do just fine. I have recently bought a new Corsair AX860 since I thought after that length of time I certainly got my monies worth from the Tagan.

6. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 super
    Thanks Megabiv. I am not sure if my PSU will run that long. But its good to know that good PSU's last good 5-7 years. I think I am quite OK and I,ll buy the SSD tomorrow. and Also the OC is back on.

thanks every one for help.