PSU strange problem .... WTF !!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by macdaddy, Jul 8, 2007.

1. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    My friend and i decided to swap psu as i was doing him a favor because mine is a modular so it looks better in his perspex case. Well i took his coolmaster 850w psu and pulged it into my system and i wouldn't boot into windows. Well after checking my bios everything was in order accept the first HD boot .... it was pointing to the wrong HD with no operating system on it as i have 3 HDs in my PC. Anyway i got it going it the right way but got blue screen before windows. I found out that i had to unplug all the other HDs and only leave the one with the OS to get it booting into windows and so after that i replugged the other HDs and all is fine now boy was i lucky ..... I want to know why has this happened ?????

Well here was what happened to my mate. We plugged in my psu for his asus striker and couldn't get into windows .... so time to check bios .... what we saw made our hearts skip. Damn voltages were running MAX thats right 1.9v for cpu and max for everything. Well after resetting things it looked fine in the bios but still we couldn't get it going. Then we decided to run system check ...... turns out none of his HDs were showing. 2 X 150gb raptors in raid mode and a 500gb storage. So we pulled the HDs out knowing what happened with the voltages and looked the back of them .... yep they were cooked ..... All data lost and some expensive HDs to replace. So anyone has something similar like this happening or knows what the problem is ???

2. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah boot problems like that with a new PSU are best avoided by clearing the CMOS before installing the PSU...never heard of it frying hard drives before but I reckon it's possible.

3. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    New one on me. A very strange event I reckon and I feel for you, a big pain in the wallet department :cry: Maybe some power build up in the PSUs capacitors? Must have been fair old surge though.....:eek3:

4. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999

Make sure you got the newer revision of the Cooler Master Real Power Pro.

source: manufacturer response;

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007

5. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Possible warranty claim then?

6. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I would definitely contact the manufacturer and see if you can claim this under the warranty. Not much else you can do unfortunately.

7. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

complain to the companies.

but my psu requires to me press the reset button once or twice before it even posts.

rather annoying. but u have had one weird issue man.... everything pulgged in right?? im guessing it has to be a yes..

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I reckon that Cooler Master is talking about boards that just won't boot with the unit. What happened to the OP sounds like the CMOS to me. It stores basic BIOS info about your drives and also stores the timing sequence between the motherboard and the PSU and every PSU has different boot time Power_OK timings and when the PSU and motherboard timings don't match power can get sent to the wrong place in the wrong amounts at the wrong time.