PSU questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by avivoni, Feb 17, 2012.

1. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    do all powersupplys suposed to turn on if i jump pins 3 and 4(green with black) all i have tested before have powered when i do this but im trying test one now and it wont power on. problem im having is i just built this machine well its using all same parts as machine before but with new mobo and cpu. when i went to power it on the power led and the psu led blink intermintent and only fans power at very low rpm. it all indicates psu. and curious thing is it wont power on by jumping the 24 plug pins.

2. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    well nevermind. i took it out and it makes a low hum when i jump it to power it on. i tested all 3.3, 5v and 12v using a drive and dvdrom to create some load. and got 0 volts on everything. curiosly when i switch the power off behind the psu. the fan spins for a sec and the led comes on. sort of seems like its in protection mode.

3. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    buaja found the issue. now to chek my spare stuff if i have one of those to replace it with. bad cap.
    [​IMG]

EDIT:just went through my old stach of broken PSU;s and electronics and cant find that specific value of capacitor. i have 2200uf 16v or 3300uf 6.3v and some others inbetween. does anyone know electronics here. is it important to have the same value? couldnt it be of higher? wouldnt the 3300uf 6.3v be good? same volts higher uf

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. Shadowjump

Shadowjump Member

GPU:
    7970 XFire Watercooled
    Should be fine if its same volts. I dont think bigger capacity will do any harm at all.

5. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    well it didnt work :( i found out that i could use same UF but higher volts. so i used 2200uf with 10v. and it didnt change a thing. it still did the same problem. its deeper than that blown cap. and i dont have a capacitance tester to chek the rest of the caps that look ok. so it went to the damaged parts closet for spare parts also.

6. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    As far as I know caps are rated at "up to" the specified voltage. The capacity may or may not matter depending on the application.

Some corsair PSUs have up to 7 year warranties, might be worth seeing if you can get it replaced.

7. ARieger54

ARieger54 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970
    To answer your question, no not all power supplies turn on when you use the dummy trick and just link the two wires. I know the higherend PSUs will only turned on when connected to a mobo or PSU tester. I know the ax1200 is this way and I believe yours is as well. As far as the capacitor is concerned I believe if the voltage is the same the capacity shouldn't make a difference as long as it's the same or greater. I'd definitely check will corsair about a replacement but opening it probably voided what warranty was on it

8. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    this is not the corsair. this is an OCZ gamerxtreme 700w. i know i didnt mention what psu it was. i just had a general psu question.