PSU making a whining noise only at a very specific situation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eclap, Nov 17, 2011.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hey guys. I was playing Skyrim today and I noticed that when the game loads the menu, it makes a whining noise. it'll be quiet through the Bethesda logos and as soon as the menu comes up, it whines. the volume is at it's loudest at first, then it goes quieter but I can still just about hear it.

What is interesting is that as soon as I click "continue" (which loads my latest save) it goes quiet again. I can play the game, not a sound. press esc, which brings up the menu, whine again.

I tried BF3 and TW2 just now, not a peep. only in menus in Skyrim. not sure if the whine was there before today though.

Should I be worried? the PSU is about 2 years old. it's the one in my specs.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Sure its the PSU and not the CAPs on the GPU ?

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    not a 100% mate, I know for a fact it's not the sound card because I tried with it out and still the sound was there. I'm pretty sure it's the psu, not a 100% though.

Interesting finding just now. tried skyrim with vsync on, not a beep. turned vsync off, whine. tried to go on/off with vsync a few times, every time it was on, the sound wasn't there. then I noticed that with vsync off I'm getting 2900fps in the menu, slowly dropping to around 600fps. pretty much in sync with how the noise descends as well. so I'm guessing it's just the issue of having crazy fps in menus in skyrim which causes that. It could just well be the gpu I guess...

would this make sense? super high fps causing the psu or gpu to make a little whiny noise? it's not as loud as those videos on youtube I just checked out and it only happens in skyrim menus.

4. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Most likely the GPU..Mine does that on Crysis menu screen when fps is in the 1000s..Try turning on vsync to limit the fps and see if the whine goes away :)

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, like I said, with vsync the whine goes away, tried it on/off a few times, with it on, it's quiet. problem is Vsync causes mouse lag in skyrim :(

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Turning off Vsync will also give you 3X speed whenever your FPS is high, so it's really not a solution. It's literally built into the engine in order for it to function correctly.

As for the whine, totally normal and quite common with some PSU's (specifically lower tier Corsair models).

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I had the exact problem (Corsair PSU whining), the cause is far different than what you think.

It seems that they did a poor job designing the sleeves for the PSU cables, the sleeves don't end at the PSU but continue on a bit inside.

Unfortunately, in my case at least, one of the sleeves started coming apart and a strand was hitting the fan blade causing an annoying constant whine/hum sound. All I needed to do to fix this was to unscrew the top grill and then cut the loose strands, just be very careful not to cut any of the wires or anything else.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I found a little program called Dxtory that works great, allows me to limit my fps to 60fps and this way I won't have stupid spikes like before (in caves when looting a looking around fps would shoot up to over 300fps sometimes completely messing up the mouse speed).

Ice, do you think that whine is coming from psu or gpu? because it only happens when I'm hitting very high fps...

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    like I said, my whine was only happening in skyrim menus, when I was hitting over 500fps. in game it never happened. so it has to do with the gpu running skyrim at crazy fps. had it been the same problem you had, I'd have the whine constantly, but like I said, only happens when in skyrim menus. anyway, fixed it with limiting my fps, whine gone.

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    It's definitely one of the caps on your gfx card whining from a too high fps.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    cheers mate. I take it's quite normal? Will this hurt my gpu?

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    When something other than your fans whine in your PC, it's hurting. Bad. ;)
    In all seriousness, though, it's better to avoid whining caps.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    I dont think you can say that until the op confirms.
    I'm 40:60 between gfx card : psu.
    It only happens under highest load and the 2 devices that have the most power going through them are the gfx card and the PSU.

Op, get your ear inside!
    A cardboard tube pressed to the end of your ear should help.
    Direct the other end of the tube towards potential noise sources.

14. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, he did say it doesn't whine when playing BF3, and that it only whines when it's on a menu screen where the fps shot up to the hundreds.
    A somewhat typical scenario on cap whines.

15. mutate44

mutate44 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB WF 1293 Boost
    My Antec Truepower Quattro 1000 makes a coil whine sound it also does it on game menues and when I start up the computer. I usually b ang on the back of the fan and it stops the whine. I got another 580 already in my Pc with it overclocked and thinking of getting another one, wonder if it can handle it lol.
    people say that the my Corsair proffesional series 1200W whines but it does not just gotr it about a month ago.

16. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    looks like they forgot to cap fps in menus

u can try lots of AA to avoid huge fps, or get fps limiter

i never tested any limiters, assume they dont cause mouse delay

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It could still be the PSU, as Corsair PSU's are known for them.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    PSUs have caps too...

19. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    True, but the gfx card power draw shouldn't be too different from playing BF3 and Skyrim.

Easy test.
    If the OP is willing to run OCCT, then we'll know whether it's the PSU or not.
    Or maybe F@H, SMP + GPU (one WU each) to load the system (and also contribute to the cause!).

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Like I said, only happens in skyrim menus. The gpu is hardly under load there. As soon as it's loaded, it goes away. I'm getting over 500 fps in menus, sometimes over 2000. This is the only time it happens. Not in windows, not in games under load. I can play bf3 and tw2 without a single whine. Even skyrim. Only when I go to skyrim menu, it whines. I downloaded dxstory and capped fps to 60 (no mouse lag btw) and it completely stopped whining. That makes me think it's a specific problem with insane fps.

Stsrcraft 2 had a problem iirc, where in menus it was running at very high fps as well and it killed a few cards. Then blizzard patched the problem. Even if I work out where the whine is coming from, I won't be able to do anything about it. I'll just keep running a fps cap for skyrim and wait to see if it ever gets patched.

Edit: I'll try occt when I get in from work.

Edit 2: googled around and found that a lot of cards do this at high fps.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011