psu + high pitch squealing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by damien666, Sep 2, 2007.

1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi people i dont know if i have a problem or not but ever since i saw a post which said it was best to turn off the psu while my pc is turned off i have been doing it and i have noticed weird things

ok if i turn off the switch off the psu so the pc get no power for a while it wines when i turn it on then i need to leave it 30sec or so before i can turn the pc on (like a can need to heat up or sumat), once its turned on the wining stops and its normal,

well my question is, is it normal for a psu to wine while its getting it power back after its been off all night ??

2. shadowflar3

shadowflar3 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780
    Mine does that if I turn it off, I believe its blowing dust out but mine is also a piece of ****

3. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    ive never left it more than like 30sec after turning it on so i dont know if it stops when i leave it and the psu gains it power back

4. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Usually a PSU whines when it's under high load. I can only assume that's because the capacitors become quite active.

My best guess is that it takes 30 seconds for your capacitors to charge in your PSU. It only takes a second on my computer, so I'm going to go and say that this is NOT normal for a PC ( the 30 second wait ).

5. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load

ok mate well it not that long if i time it, its like a few secs before the pwer button works, my psu never makes any noise when its underload its really stable lol

6. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    My old PSU used to whine when I powered down my PC, then it died about a month later.

The new one (same model) doesn't whine when I power down.

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Why the hell would you turn off the PSU when you're not using the computer anyway? Who told you to do that? Absolutely unnecessary.

8. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load

people say it save power / cost

9. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    ^^^ Well when the PC is off its uses no power at all, only to power the mainboard LED light.

Which will save about 1P a year. . . its totally unnecessary to turn it off on a night.

10. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The power usage while the PSU is off is so tiny that it is FAR from worth it. I really doubt you'd notice it on the power bill, even over an entire year.

11. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    well i also heard it wsas healthy for the pc and my pc does boot up and is very quick after i had the psu turned off all night, isnt it good to give the pc a break some time ??

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Haha, no, that's false. In fact the healthiest state for your PC (except perhaps HDD's and fans) is ON. Turning things on and off all the time puts more strain on electronic components than if they're on all the time.

13. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    ^^ True, especially for a PSU as it has to re-charge the capacitors every time you switch it back on, which gives the PSU about 2 secs of "full load" meaning your probably lowering its overall lifespan.

14. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    oww

ok thanks for the info mate

15. Khr][st

Khr][st Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260
    Not exactly sure if it was about enermax psu, but I had read on a site of a psu manufacturer that they changed something in how the psu works to make it better but it has the side effect of making noice for a while after every time you power on.

I tried to find a link but couldn't find it sorry.