PSU died... looking for suggestions on an affordable + reliable one

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Geralt, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Geralt

Geralt Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    PSU decided to die while watching a movie. It was an OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W which I purchased back in 2010.

I'm looking for something affordable (basically as cheap as possible), but reliable enough that it should last until, at least, I do a complete machine upgrade in a few years.

Will be buying from PCCG (prices in AUD):
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15_535&vk_sort=1

System Specs:
    GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3
    8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (4GB x2)
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz
    SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC
    Two monitors -- 1680x1050 and a 1360x768, a BD drive + the other normal peripherals.

Thanks for the help.

2. Venzer

Venzer New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Seasonic is one of the most reliable trusted manufacturers. I would also suggest an EVGA power supply, they often offer ten year warranties, and have good looking power supplies and sleeved cables. Competitive pricing, too.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    When my last psu died (was a Corsair 950w) I replaced it with Fractal design.

Great psu, higly recommended. They are designed and engineered in Sweden so you cannot go wrong...

4. striker101

striker101 New Member

GPU:
    GSkill Ripjaws 2x2GB
    I'd say Seasonic > Corsair > Evga
    any 80+ Bronze/Silver/Gold above 500W.

Moduler / Semi-Modular / Non-Modular .. is your choice.

5. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    I agree. I'm looking into an EVGA SuperNOVA myself, although as long as their PSUs are, I hope you have at least a full tower, if not an ultra tower to place it in.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
  7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    EVGA use Superflower designs, which I'd put ahead of Seasonic at the moment. Corsair is up in the air depending on which unit you're looking at specifically, I'm not keen on their lower end offerings. That said, they don't actually make their own PSU's, they have a number of different OEM's.

8. Geralt

Geralt Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've spent a while reading some reviews and looking at user feedback and am currently thinking of going with the CoolerMaster V550S. I've still got ~24 hours to decide though as the store is closed tomorrow.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    This isn't a rule. Every brand has its share of golden and lemon PSUs.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also Super Flower are also great PSUs they are rebranded EVGA PSUs if I am not mistaken. I think It might have been the other way around.

11. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    EVGA uses Superflower designs.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    EVGA G2 PSU's use the SuperFlower Leadex Gold platform, which has OUTSTANDING performance. It's one of, if not THE best, sub 1k watt PSU on the market right now.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  14. Geralt

Geralt Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
  15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    That's understandable, but if it is better than the other options around the pricepoint, two days is not long to wait. It's a question of whether you are willing to wait two extra days to get what is probably the best option, or whether you should get a possibly crappier alternative that you will regret at some point down the track.

Considering today is a public holiday here in SA, I was considering only a day's delay, not two. In any case, now that it is 8 pm Monday in Victoria, even if you purchase tonight it won't be sent until tomorrow at the earliest. So, again your delay is really only a day.

PCCasegear are great at sending out their items, but depending on where you live there are no guarantees that you will get it by the weekend anyway, depending on when they actually send it and what tier your postal area is. If you're close to Melbourne it would be the next day, if you're out woop woop then the extra day is trivial.

Realistically though, I'm talking worst case. You should get it before the weekend regardless of whether you get the one in stock or the Wednesday one (if it arrives on Wednesday!). The other option is spending an extra $20, which is $14 more than your Coolermaster choice, and get the next EVGA offering:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_1619&products_id=30082