PSU cable modification

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CasperTm, Sep 18, 2014.

1. CasperTm

CasperTm Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X OC 2GB Gaming
    Heys Gurus!

I'm planning to shorten my PSU cables. Just not sure about the technic.

Which one you prefer?
    Soldering or cable terminal?

[​IMG]

Cable terminal will be less work, but i'm worried if it is as good as soldering.
    I'm gonna do the 8pin ATX, 2xPCIE power cables. (And 2 pins from 24 pin, because my pin remover tool broke)

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Both techniques are fine if you do it propperly, personally I use them both but it depends on situation and future plans for rig I'm building.

If nothing much is goind to change about PSU and/or cable management inside that rig in future (mostly HTPC's) I use soldering and in most cases dwaw myself a small wiring scheme and leave it somewhere in case (mostly hide it behind mobo's backplate). I use soldering wire with Sn 60%; Pb 40%; Flux 2%

If that project is not completely finished i.e. I have more plans in future about wiring, moddingg... etc, than I use cable terminal approach. Also hand-drawn wiring scheme is a must in that case, just in case I lose my mind completely and forget about what some wires stands for :D Some folks don't use soldering wire on the end of naked copper wire going into cable terminal but I use soldering wire every time and never had a problem because of this, simply I don't want to expose naked copper wire to possibly humid air going through case cause that could lead to copper patina.

And don't buy cheap cable terminals, contacts corrosion (mostly moisture comming with airflow through case) is their worst enemy and you don't want that to happen.

3. CasperTm

CasperTm Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X OC 2GB Gaming
    I think i'll go with soldering :)

EDIT:
    Crazy, can u help in what technique you using for soldering? Twist the cables together and solder or just put the 2 cables on each other and solder?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Neither, I would cut the conductors to the desired length and crimp on new contacts (pins).