PSU 20 pin

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Peter Buxu, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    Hi fellow gurus!! =D..........been long time, since I have made a thread. I have recently serviced a m8ts desktop PC. The PC won't boot. checked the PSU with a meter (a really old PSU kinda say 240w MAX) & it was dead.......12v lines didn't even showed, that's why the PC wasn't booting.

Now I went to a local shop & bought him a newer PSU say 450W........Now before plugging the PSU in, I noticed that the old one, in the 20pin connector had all the connectors in it, whilst the new one since it was a 24 pin, within the 20 pins, one of them was missing like the one in the following link:http://www.google.com.mt/imgres?imgurl=http://i1.tinypic.com/ncxcf5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D427508&usg=__gzgtCx6sDTjBogLsvBbrAegvw7A=&h=480&w=640&sz=13&hl=mt&start=12&zoom=1&tbnid=ORV2T0qeVA5QyM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&ei=bLmqTaqlFcGWOp7JyaoJ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpsu%2B20pin%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dmt%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D857%26tbm%3Disch1%2C7191&chk=sbg&um=1&itbs=1&biw=1680&bih=857

Now after plugging the new PSU, the PC still did not boot up & so to I also tested the new PSU with the meter & it was fine.......actually all the rails were fine, checked the power cable etc & everything was fine........Now what puzzles me is that If I don't insert the 20pin PSU all down into the motherboard, the PC manages to boot successfully...........that's a bit strange I think.................do you think it has got something to do with the one pin missing from the 20 pin PSU connector?????

Many thanks in advance =)
    Peter Buxu

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Sounds like a bad connection, maybe a broken trace on the motherboard or a solder joint has failed.
    After all, the missing connector doesnt magically appear when it does work.
    At least I hope not ;)

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    Mobo might be broken...

4. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    Hehe the PSU isn't a magician, so I don't think so ;).......I thought that it might be the mainboard, but wanted to check with you guys, to be sure about it....thanks for the inputs. Currently he is working fine, lets see how far the mainboard can push!!!!!!! =)

Peter Buxu

5. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    the missing pin in the new connector is the -5V rail which was phased out of use along with the ISA slot over ten years ago.

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    How old is this rig you're trying to resuscitate and what exactly are we dealing with here?

deltatux

7. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    I asked the same psu question awhile back and the answer i got from multiple ppl was that one connector is always missing.

8. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    Many Thanks Makalu..............I didn't knew that :p.................Well, this current rig is about 11 years old loooll!!!! :p.......It's an early P3 PC with SECC connection........I have recently installed 512MB of SDRAM memory & Format it & its currently working not bad for its settings.....