PSA: RTSS is broken in Doom Eternal

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Terepin, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    HDRR and HDRI are real terms. First means High Dynamic Range Rendering and second High Dynamic Range Imaging. HDRI is used in photography, but I'm not sure if it can be applied to displays as well.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    Latest beta of RTSS enables overlay by default for games presenting frames from compute without performance hit.

PSA.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

from release notes:

Added alternate asynchronous On-Screen Display renderer for Vulkan applications presenting frames from compute queue (id Tech 6 and newer engine games like Doom 2016 and Dooom Eternal). The implementation is using original AMD’s high performance concept of asynchronous offscreen overlay rendering and the principle of asynchronically combining it with framebuffer directly from compute pipeline with compute shader without stalling compute/graphics pipelines. PresentFromCompute entry in global profile template is set to 1 by default now and it enables new asynchronous implementation. The previous synchronous and more performance consuming implementation is also available and can be enabled by setting PresentFromCompute to 2. It is recommended to enable the previous synchronous implementation for performance comparisons only and for estimating difference in performance hit between new and old implementations

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    tayyar and Yashiro like this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    DOOM 2016 tied load times to framerate so the FPS cap actually sucked during load screens. It was a pain as RTSS cap was necessary for Gsync, but loading would take far longer with an FPS cap in place.

Eternal doesn’t seem to have this problem in my tests though.

It’s sorta annoying that Doom 2016/Eternal don’t expose their own in-engine limiter since it was shown that at least 2016 had one —for example, in the first person Hayden meetings the game caps itself to 60 FPS in engine and this in gameplay. Also, the Wolfenstein games on id tech 6 had an inengine limiter so seems it probably had one.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Do you have a demonstration of this phenomenon?

5. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Which one, the FPS limiter making loading take forever, or the in-game cutscenes (e.g. Hayden in ARC level) being locked at 60 FPS?

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @yasamoka I don't have a video, but on my last PC (1080 Ti + 8700K) I always monitored the game via RTSS or the in-game perf overlay and that's what it was doing and I tested this several times.

For example, in first person in-engine "gameplay" cutscenes (so, the first time Haydn gives you Argent Energy to upgrade your ammo/health/armor for example OR when you later meet him in his office), the game caps it's framerate to 60 fps in-engine -- while you still have full character control/movement, etc -- this appears to be an in-engine limiter that they've hidden from the player and cannot be enabled with console commands either to my knowledge, but it's clearly capable of doing this as it caps fps during these scenes (I have a 144 hz g-sync panel for further context which I typically cap with RTSS or in-engine limiters to 141 as per the blur busters guide).

As for the load times, I was able to view FPS during load screens and I tested this with two configurations:

1) Unlimited FPS + Control panel V-Sync OFF so the game was free to run above 144 hz -- I verified this with RTSS overlay -- during load times, fps would skyrocket up to insanely high values (like the high hundreds).

Here, load times were near instant (using an SSD).

2) Capped FPS with RTSS to 141 + control panel vsync ON (my preferred).

Here, load times would not exceed the capped 141 and took substantially longer (~2 or 3 min) -- seems very much to me that they tied load times to the framerate due to the massive gulf in speed difference. This appeared to take even longer if I capped to something lower like 60 for example.

Load times were always very speedy regardless of fps cap or not in Eternal though.

yasamoka likes this.
  7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    The former.

I see ... very interesting ... I always used to wonder why Doom took forever to load after I was used to it loading very fast. I had gotten a G-Sync monitor and starting doing FPS caps.

I wonder, what is the game's behavior with V-Sync on and no FPS cap?

8. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah, since I started capping FPS in Doom for G-Sync purposes, I moved the game to an HDD because there's no point wasting 70GB on an SSD when it takes minutes to quit to the main menu, or load the last checkpoint or a new level.

9. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Discovered this "feature" regarding loading times in Doom 2016 some time ago. It seems that it behaves this way only with Vulkan renderer, with OpenGL it doesn't mind external limiter, but they fixed this in Doom Eternal. Anyway, the VSync implementation in these new Doom games is good, at 144Hz and VSync ON the ingame lag is so minimal (for me at least), that the external limiter is not necesarry. One of the developers talks about it here.

10. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    When I use VSync in Doom 2016/Eternal, the mouse lag is so bad, even navigating the menus feels sluggish.

11. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    It used for me too with the Vulkan API at 60Hz. After some game updates, few versions of drivers/Vulkan and especially after ditching my old 60Hz monitor and replacing it with 144Hz one it all went away. In fact I get so used to high refresh rates now so I can't stand anything below 100Hz...

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    I have notable (though slight) lag in menus but ingame response is very snappy.

144 Hz Gsync and vsync and fps cap to 140.

13. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah the slow loading issue with a FPS cap happens in Red Dead Redemption 2 as well if your using DX12, but does not impact Vulkan for some reason. I just set a hot key to enable/disable the fps limiter so can uncap it while loading and turn it back on once it loads.

14. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    This was only happening in Vulkan. Switching to OpenGL would fix it.

BlindBison likes this.
  15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Ah, that’s very interesting — didn’t realize that. It is true that I only tested that with Vulkan, not OpenGL.