PS5 SSD Is 'Far Ahead' of High-End PCs, Epic Games CEO Says [IGN]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2020.

1. Lian

Lian Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Super FE
    a couple of years ago I had seen a video with a graphic where
    indicated that in one year the pc expenses were amortized ..

if you buy 10 games in a year.

790 euros for ps4

per pc maybe you get to 200 euros.

edit:

if you put the monitor into account on your pc,
    do it also on the console with the tv

therefore 500 / 1500euro for a 4k TV....

and in Italy from 2021/2022 only DVBT2 TVs can be used the others will no longer receive the Digital signal.

only TV sell after December 2018.

:)

2. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    the console\pc price ratio\financial debate is actually subjective. i can't see any reason why saying
    one is more expensive than the other on the long run, because it depends on the individual preferences,
    how many games he bought on sale, how much time he spends on gaming. even if you lock it for the
    sake of the argument for one decade, you must also lock the number of games bought to a similar number,
    and that is absurd in my eyes. did you ever limit yourself to X number of games in a decade ? honestly ?

we are talking about a hobby here. a time demanding hobby. i don't see one good reason to even try analyzing
    something like that.

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    If you buy pc games from new, then 10 games aint 200 euros... they are cheaper than console games, yes, but only by 20-30%.

1500 euro for a tv ?! Maybe if you want the very best... but i got a just fine one for 400 euro. And fyi, you can get a cheaper 4k tv than you can with a 4k monitor...

The new consoles will be way cheaper than a similarly spec'ed pc, there is no getting around it, no matter how you try to twist and turn it.

drandiiski likes this.
  4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Since when do you need $5000 for a gaming PC? Here's one for under $2500 and it's terribly put together, could have saved a ton on motherboard, case, CPU... You can build a perfectly capable gaming PC for under $2000 USD, no problem. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QdCQvW

EDIT: That was a good point raised btw, about the cost of games. Let's say you keep this PC for 4 years and let's say you buy two gamea a month. That's 96 games over 4 years. If you save $15 on each game, which you should, you'll have ended up spending $1440 less on games. Making that $2000 PC quite a good deal, in the end.

Last edited: May 24, 2020

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    A 2000 usd pc wont be better than a ps5. Ps5 will have the equivalent to a 2080 gpu, and a 8 core / 16 thread ryzen with 16gb ram, and with 1 tb nvme equivelant ssd - that's gonna cost you quite a bit more than 2000 usd. And again, the ps5 is only 500 usd.

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    A $2000 PC will have a 12c/24t CPU, a 2080 Super and 32gb of ram, with fast NVME drive for OS and a well sized SATA SSD for games. In a few months, you can probably throw in a 3080 which will obviously be a lot faster.

We don't know how much the PS5 will be, but if you look at the price of games, a gaming PC can end up costing the same, if not less over 4 years. I'll still be buying a PS5 though, day one here.

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    this tells me, if i can get a keyboard and mouse to work with that ps5, im done upgrading pc and i ll get a laptop....

Passus and Dragam1337 like this.
  8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    You wont get that in denmark, that's for sure... the 2080 super alone is 7000 dkk, which is 1050 usd.

And we do know how much the ps5 will roughly be, because the consoles are always about 500 usd.

Passus likes this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    I can certainly understand people who feel this way. And yes you can use mouse / keyboard

Passus likes this.
  10. Lian

Lian Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Super FE
    500 USD aka 699 EURO.

:C

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Good point. You can already use mouse + keyboard with consoles, but it's far from ideal. Is there any info on next gen consoles properly supporting mouse and keyboard? That would be great, as I could use my PC desk setup, with keyboard/mouse for some games and then use the TV for those "kick back" sessions on a big TV.

12. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Let's get serious here.

13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    this certainly is a big dilemna to us pc gamers, why would u keep upgrading ur system when u can get a console with a 2080 equivalent performance for just 500 usd....it s a no brainer

14. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    That's an argument that I remember since the time of xbox 360, but one that was probably made long before that. In the end it turns out that PC is always better and has additional benefits, like better controls, mods, far larger game library, cheaper games, free MP and you can actually play at normal fps. In modern day you also need a PC anyway and many would use PC for work. If you consider that, then PC is really a cheaper and better option for many.

Oh and BTW, it's absurd to claim that you need to spend 5000$ to get a PC equivalent to console. Even 2000$ is quite a stretch.

15. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    The price is not confirmed. I could see it either being $499 or $599. Make no mistake the next consoles will be more expensive than the last time around.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    It´s no dilema, at release consoles are usually faster than PCs at the same price point, then they become "obselete" after 2 or 3 years because PC hardware is always evolving. Also someone mentioned something very important, if you want to play online on consoles, you have to pay and on a PC you don´t, at least for now. That and games being more expensive on consoles lowers considerably the value point of consoles.

Personally, i like both the PC and consoles because some games are much better on PC while others are better on a console.

17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    How am i not being serious? If you want a pc that will be on par with the new consoles, then you will have to pay 2000+ usd. If you want a pc that has superior hardware to the new consoles, you will be paying considerably more than that. My own pc has a total new cost of about 5000 usd... danish prices ofc (aka overpriced AF), but still what i paid... and the consoles are still only 500 usd here - just getting a gpu with 12 TFLOPS (what the new xbox has) costs more than that.

My point is just that, yes... pc gaming IS potentially better, but you are paying a substantial premium for it to be so... especially when looking at the new consoles, considering that they offer vastly better hardware than what the average pc gamer has (aka a 4 core cpu and a 1060).

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Quite simply how can it be "far ahead of high-end" PCs when the tech is and will be essentially same than what's used on PCs?

Yeah PCI-E Gen 4 NVME, sure, but that can - already btw Mr. Sweeney with an appropriate X570 motherboard and Ryzen 3rd gen CPU - be done on PC.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I feel everything is taken out of context because people want to bad mouth him.

here is his quote from the interview "Sweeney says that Sony’s storage architecture is far ahead of “the best SSD solution you can buy on PC today"

And........ I totally agree with him.

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Maybe because i do more with my PC than just Gaming.

Also a PC with a 1080p Monitor, 3700X and 2060 will run everything juuuuuuust fine at 60+ FPS with all bells and whistles. And that may be roughly 1000-1200 for the entire PC? (not up to date with the current prices)

Sure a PC will always be more expensive in the end, but you have a lot more flexibility.

AsiJu likes this.