PS5 Liquid Metal

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by cryohellinc, Aug 17, 2020.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    An interesting bit of information:

Here, here and here.

I think this being part of the cooling solution (considering the size of PS5) may as well fix several ancient issues with the console - namely the classic fan noise and overheating of most of the PS consoles.

What is your opinion on this? Aren't there some inherent corrosion issues that accompany the liquid metal +usage of cheap heatsink materials (my angle is - they will need a proper copper heatsink)?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    They can have a Sony employee standing next to every PS5 wafting cool air at it with a large leaf, i don't care as long as i don't hear it, the pro was my breaking point with Sony on fan noise, so whatever they have chosen better work this time. lol

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Last i heard they were teleporting all the heat into space for every ps5 console.

XP-200 and cryohellinc like this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    :D

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    intresting idea, not sure I like the idea anymore then water cooling, question if this true, how would that work for people the disassemble the system to remove dust from it among other things

I bet if the could they would and they make it part of ps plus subscription, it would definitely make the system quiet though. I want the system as quiet as my ps3 slim which is just lil fan spinning noise no mater the game no mater the load. no coilwhine noise no other noise other then hdd making it hdd noises. When I at my computer desk I can hear my ps4 psu transformer make rhythmic coil/transformer noise, when it OFF that continues get lil worse when ps4 is on which turns in coil whine in some games, but that it absolutely nothing compared to how bad pro is.

I want to play my game and hear my games not hear the console over the sound of my games.

Bottle up space which is what 2.7 Kelvin? and encase the system in that, cooling solution solved haha

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    I've never used a liquid metal myself, but how much time (on average) you normally have for it to "dry out"? Or just the efficiency will fall by a notch?

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hence my question what happen when people go inside to remove dustand redo paste what gonna happen seeing that is "sealed" that would be something alot less people can do. disabling parts is alot easier then have to dissembling something that "sealed" like that

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    After first application its recommended to reapply within a month or two, then every six-eight months after that.

You could probably leave it longer but that is whats recommended by der8auer

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    One on top of the other? Does it evaporate? Or remove the old one and re-apply the new one?

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Are all liquid metals like that? I never use it personally so I have no idea but I guess (hope) the sony techs would have thought about liquid metal losing its efficiency rather quickly.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    best to clean it off as you want a flat smooth coverage, you also need to cover the IHS and whatever block you are cooling it with as well (aio, heatsink, etc).

They could be using a new alternative that doesn't require reapplying, it may already exist but I've not used liquid metal since my 7700K.