PS4 not worth the cost, says Nvidia

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HonoredShadow, Mar 14, 2013.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It's not if you know what the margins on the console business are. Nvidia would have to make a huge investment for little in the way of return. The manufacturers themselves make most of their profit on software sales and licensing fees.

2. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Even if Nvidia had been in talks with Sony it wouldn't have been practical for them to design the GPU for the system. AMD are making X86 processors and GPU's, as well as combinations of the two. Had Nvidia wanted in on it, they'd struggle to provide as good of a deal as AMD could. People are over looking the fact that while Nvidia may have struggled to make a solid profit from such a venture, AMD are in a position to make quite a lot of money. Even if there were no economical differences between the two companies right now, that would be the case. Nvidia cannot supply X86 processors.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, but, every profit is good in today's climate. and what if ps4 becomes a massive hit? then they would have the bragging rights over AMD that are worthless. On the other hand, AMD went for it, if the platform is successful and lasts a few good years with some great looking exclusives then they will end up raking in more of the PC market share for sure. time will tell.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Let's all be honest here, it's better for EVERYONE that AMD has these contracts. And by everyone, I mean us, gamers. AMD gaining marketshare means everyone else has to step up their "game". We win.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm sure if there were any talks with NVidia at all, they went something like this...

Sony: Can you design an x86 processor?
    NVidia: No, we design processors around ARM micro-architectures.
    Sony: Well, nevermind then... We'll go see AMD instead.

6. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Spot on tbh.

For any company wanting to make an X86 based console there is literally only one option, AMD.

7. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    Yes this.^^^^

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, from that point of view I'm happy, AMD will hopefully gain something out of this, if nothing more than a bit of cash and will be able to push nvidia that little bit more, which can only be healthy for the pc gaming market.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ok, so you want a monopoly where nvidia can release whatever they want and charge whatever they want? Think it's time for you to wake up. Also, a bit rich coming from you, who doesn't even know if he has a gtx 470 or a 470 gtx, right?

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Neither Intel nor NVidia would be able to maintain a monopoly as both could be subjected to US Anti-Trust suits since neither would have viable competition in their respective markets. IBM and VIA, while both maintain x86 licenses, neither has any desire to compete with Intel directly. VIA doesn't have the financial resources to take on Intel. Matrox, VIA and NVidia would be the only remaining graphics chip companies. Neither Matrox nor VIA are capable of competing with NVidia directly. Not only would AMD dying be detrimental to the PC industry....it could also be financially damaging to Intel and NVidia....and consumers.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that's what I said :)

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Just how do you figure that? Competition is great for all of us; it advances the development of new technology, and helps maintain lower prices of products. That AMD has Nvidia to compete with, and vice-versa, is only a great thing.

Also, the article was written from a business-perspective. I'd say there's nothing "moody" about it.

Either way, why does every thread that has something to do with both Nvidia and AMD always derail into such a mess? :3eyes:

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Might be wrong here, but I don't think there will be much difference between the two consoles this time around - and having your chip in both is not a bad thing.

Other hand, I think the next round after this will be more interesting in chip design - that will be the last round of consoles before all GPU and CPU work is handled in the cloud and you just have subscription models for consoles, hooked up to your 4K OLED tv.

This round is a stop-gap of cheapness prior to awesomeness.

14. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Sometimes it's because people keep feeding the trolls who have already had infractions and don't concentrate on the thread topic.

Don't ask why the threads goes to rat just post your comments on the thread topic and it should take care of itself.

15. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Would make no sense for Nvidia to change what's working for them, they have just got people to pay £1000 for what should have been a GTX 680, what's the point in them dealing with like business folk, who would negotiate tough but fair prices when they can just rip the living **** out of our pockets and laugh their arses off.

yes yes yes everybody hates me, I get it..

16. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    Yeah damn shame :beam:. Nvidia made so much money off the PS3 that it went to there head & since they had power over Sony thanks to the 7800 GTX GPU, Sony had no way out. Sony learn there lesson not to team with Nvidia because the cost of the GPU & the cost of The Cell for IBM will hurt them again.

Lucky AMD was the only answer for Next Gen to happen because of the CPU & GPU cost & low power as well. now that Nintendo, Microsoft & Sony join with ATI, Nvidia will not make any money off Next Gen console wise. the only way to do this is Project Sheld.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    One of the funny things about the statement was the this line.
    Well since Sony wants to use x86 and a single chip solution it actually is a technology thing. Is AMD top dog in CPU's no however in the APU department they are the clear front runners intel's HD4000 can't even come close and Nvidia are messing around with ARM and as you said no x86 license.

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah i can understand this point but I dont necessarily subsribe to the idea we are all better off if AMD stays in the game..

if they arent good enough then that's just business. i'd say the same for nvidia.

might sound harsh but why is it impossible for another company to eventually fill either AMD's or Nvidia shoes...?

that said am sure if AMD went next week Nvidia might have a field day with no competition. however that said it implies we are all brainless consumers who are willing to pay through the roof for gpus. Yes i am speculating and yeah I dont know the profit margins for nvidia not being involved with ps4/xbox720 but the amount of console owners is fairly huge so I would have thought being a part of this would bring profits..

Will be interested to see if AMD does do the necessary in terms of how much the graphics on the new consoles will improve.

I am not spending £300+ on something that pretty much does the same as it's predecessor.

It's like upgrading gpu's every year..i.e if the difference is 10% you're just being milked in my opinion..

another example is iphones..just an easy thing to throw cash at..

p.s it doesnt necessarily mean that amd+consoles=profits=better gpus/drivers for pc owners. (what am trying to say in a nutshell).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  19. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    With AMD providing the hardware in all the next gen consoles this is awesome news for games developers, there will be much less work developing multi-platform titles and can only be good news for PC gamers too with the x86 processor also featuring. Development time will be cut massively and game engine features will be similar for all platforms meaning developers won't have to make so many compromises on graphics details.

As for 'PS4 not worth the cost', what a load of rubbish; as if AMD is going to lose money by monopolising the console market :rolleyes:

The profit per unit might not be that big, but we are talking what, 300-400 million units across all the next gen console platforms?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  20. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Nvidia got butthurt on this one.