PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 APU used as basis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'll be amazed if they pull that off with an AMD a10

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    It might not be an A10 exactly... it could have a GCN based graphics core. Wild speculation of course, but a possibility.

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    nothing to be amazed of. Obvious choice. Trinity got good cost performance. And if it capable of playing PC games (at reasonable settings), why not play console games.

After it will be up developers to adjust games for it anyway.

With growing APU demand, I hope AMD could recover its place on market and boost APU development.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If they optimise the hell out of the code, possible, also if hybrid Xfire with another GCN core, also possible.

6. Dark Scizor

Dark Scizor Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 5870 1GB
    It'll probably be based off the A10. It's not like it's going to be a normal PC, they have more freedom in designs like this. Also keep in mind that Sony's OS is heavily optimised and runs only basic stuff, it doesn't run nearly as many services general purpose OSes like Windows, Linux or OS X run.

7. Solid_State

Solid_State Member Guru

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    My guess all along was a AMD APU paired with a low power GPU for hydrid crossfire, giving maximum compute performance for the smallest cost$.

Games are always coded better for consoles were a PC needs twice the power to do the same task.

But anyway you look at this its going to help AMD's push for their "Gaming Evolved"

Seeing game consoles adopting open compute is good for all, except Nvidia's marketing strategy.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Unless it 300$ or so at launch and not this 600$ bullcrap and actually does true 1080p@60fps with fake res and has AA that actual works and and stable fps I dont think i will care. I have not touched my ps3 in months cause i cant stand to look at the lack of AA and true 720p/1080p

9. PinguX

PinguX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580
    An A10 APU in hybrid xfire with a 7670 should be around 6770 performance, which is a hell a lot of faster than the PS3's 7800gtx. Also unified shaders, tesselation, a lot more ram and vram.

Sounds like decents specs for a next gen console imo.

10. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I don't play console games, nor will I buy a console, yet I'm mildly optimistic for this. It sounds as if it could be powerful enough to actually push game developers forward a bit instead of the 95% stagnation of the past few years. This is a very good thing amigos. :)

11. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    good for amd..

imho consoles should have a 3 years life cycle or 4 max, and should be made to be upgradeable.

12. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    I like the idea of having an AMD chipset in it .

13. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    If it ends up having an actual A10, I wonder if some optimisations can carry over to the PC.

14. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Dont forget, it is not a pc, if based on the A10, it will not work the same way and is surely a lot different of the A10 APU version ..

Console are just made for run what they need to, a specific API... nothing more nothing less..

they will not put 500$ gpu + 300$ CPU for sell them 250-300$...

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    They might pull it of with everything being at a super low polygon count which they will try to disguise with art style and textures. Speaking of textures, those will probably be super low res as well. The last time the little birdie spoke the system would have 512MB of video RAM. I'd be shocked if the stingy fat bastards actually put 16GB of near free DDR3 into it for system RAM. I'm still more convinced of the earlier rumours of 2GB. Let's not forget it won't have any filtering, at all, none. No AA or AF of any sort.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

16. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    But Can it run Crysis and windows 7!...At the same Time?...;)

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Sony, as before, and as nintendo and microsoft have both done, do not need to settle with what we currently have as end users, they're a big enough manufacturer to order custom chips and for amd to oblige, which considering the amount all 3 will order, they will be more than happy to.

A10 GPU and an extra 100 shader cores? more memory bus width? custom fast memory type? whatever, who knows

18. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    The current consoles have something like GeForce 7800 and around 512MB RAM for the whole system - A10 should eat it for breakfast. The today's console games look ok because they're really well-optimized for the target platform, with some for-bare-metal programming and access to tons of draw calls (many more than what PCs can offer - because of DX architecture).

19. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Draw calls advantage only gets you so far tho. AMD A10 has a weaker CPU than PS3. So you will hit that wall a lot faster. And the next gen games are also expected to have better AI, physics etc... which can all be very CPU intensive tasks.
    i7 920, 6 GB of RAM and a gtx470 could match 360 ( or ps3 ) in draw call performance. And then out do it with its GPU shading and other capabilities, and of course memory advantage. And we've come a long way in GPU performance since then, and even CPU.
    An A10 based system doesn't sound like something that can deliver Metro 2033 maxed out @ 1080p 60fps in 3D, at all. No matter how close to metal you code.

Still looking forward to seeing the final specs, and whether they can really pull it off.
    If they can achieve something like that, at 300-400$, that would be amazing.

20. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    This shows how big the CPU overhead in DX11 is.
    http://timothylottes.blogspot.se/2012/03/dx11-vs-gl-driver-overhead.html

Then we have comments such as those from AMD
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/2