ps3 to lose backwards compat

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by skugpezz, Aug 19, 2008.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    80 gb has software emu.
    40 gb has no compat.
    20 gb has the emotions engine, which is hardware emulation, but no wifi.
    60 gb has the full ps3 package. Emotions engine, 4 usb ports, card reader, wifi, etc. I have a 20 gb ps3 with an upgraded 120 gb hdd, since I don't need wireless, and if I do, I have a wireless bridge I can use.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

If only it was that simple.....

20gig JP(2006,not released outside Asia,No wireless built in or card reader),has full 100% ps2 compatibility.
    60 gig NA launch consoles(2006,Not released outside the US) has full 100% ps2 compatibility.
    60gig EU/UK launch(2007, not released outside EU) has partial PS2 compatibility
    80gig NA(2007,Not released outside the US) has partial PS2 compatibility.
    40gig PS3 release console has no PS2 compatibility.
    80gig ps3(2008) has no PS2 compatibility.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I did, the PS2 looks like junk on my 40" LCD HDTV especially with RGB connectors and low resolution, hell half of the games were stretched. With the PS3 I get to use 1 nice simple HDMI cord and play the games at higher resolution. I also get to use a cordless controller and unlimited amound of save space.

I've bought a few PS3 games, but I purposely went and bought a 60GB PS3 for BC and the Blu-Ray. If I had waited (bought it in jan/feb) I wouldn't have bought it without BC. There are a few good games I couldn't play on PS2 and wanteds a PS3 for it. Like DBZ BKT2/3.

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    In the long run, backwards compatibility was never a big deal to me, so I hardly care.

What is rather more interesting here, is Sony's "We're the best" approach to BC, all because the 360 had to use emulation (and thus, not all games were supported), and the PS3 used hardware.

Then Sony ripped out the Emotion Engine and used emulation.

Then Sony ripped out even that.

And then they tell us it's for the best and we will be better off for it. And no one even thinks back to when Sony were claiming they were the best because they were 100% behind hardware BC for their fans, because that is what they wanted.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Ms and Sony really made a it their goal this gen to confuse the **** out of their customers.

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    In regards to BC only, MS has always been clear; they would support emulation until they deemed it unneccasary. While slightly disappointing, it makes sense. They never claimed to have full BC or that they would constantly be updating it for the life of the 360.

Sony however really dropped the ball, with the constant "We are better than MS, look, 100% BC!" and then mountains of different models with different BC.

Looking past BC though, MS really ****ed up with the "HDD not standard" thing. If only all 360's had HDD as standard, Developers could do so much more. Mega bad play there MS.

7. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I think this console generation has been a massive step backwards overall, the games have been pretty cool so far but nothing truly exceptional, lots of potential good ones still on their way but the consoles themselfs and the advertised features have been a tangled web of hype, broken promises and lies.

Like Skiddywinks there said the whole HDD thing with MS was a big "WTF!". The original X-box was so great due to its hard drive, Sony included one and a quite large one i might add in their console so why the hell did MS drop it ? What makes it even more absurd is that they are trying to turn XBL into this big media hub with downloadable movies and stuff so now they are having to put out bigger HDD's and the users pay the bills.

Ive already lost track on how many different X-box 360 packs there are available and if mine were to blow up, i wouldnt know wich one to buy anymore... some got HDMI, some use newer tech, some have bigger hard drives and some have extra peripherals and games packed with em while some blow up in your face due to poor build quality.

Its not a whole lot better on the Sony camp either, at first it all made sense with just one console being availble that had it all, a lot of people complained it was expensive but those who payed the price soon realised how many goodies they got in the pack and how well it worked. Obviously the price was too high though so they roll out the cheaper model but why the hell did they toss out the BC wich was mainly being done in software anyway ? DOES...NOT...COMPUTE!

Now its even more confusing with several models available on the market wich were listed by previous posters and theres more different models on the way.

The biggest and most outrageous scam from both camps however is the whole HD gaming nonsense. Around the time of Halo 3's release it was revealed that a lot of these so called HD games were infact rendered at much lower resolutions and only upscaled to high def resolutions. The consoles that were meant to offer true HD capabilities and games simply didnt have the power and corners had to be cut...what a joke. The worst thing is that a lot of gamers just merrily take it up the backpipe and continue to let devs get away with this sort of lazyness.

Meanwhile the giants that are Sony and MS continue to basically sell the same product in a not so different package and compete in trying to market the consoles with "new" features and the customers get trampled under their feet, under all these different packages. Competition was expected to lower the price of games but almost the exact opposite has happened as development costs keep going up. If both companies wants their consoles selling, they should show more support for their devs and atleast try to get the best possible games out wich in return would result in more console sales.

Sorry for my rant, i'll go back into my own corner now.

8. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Really? So the software emu isn't 100% like the emotions engine emu?

And the 08 80gb has no support...I'm glad I got mine.

As for the 360, I hate the harddrive in the 360. Not all of them even came with the harddrive, and just for $20 you paid about $100 or so, which they're coming out with the 60 gb 360, which sucks for us who still have launch or early model 360s with 20 gb. And the price for the 120 gb harddrive, not worth it. Microsoft wants to look at downloadable content and expand it so much, but still expect all of this on a 20 gb harddrive. The 360 can copy the games from the disk on the harddrive, but on a 20 gb, you'll barely fit 2, and depending on the games, not even 2. Even more when Blue Dragon has multiple disks! I think that's a lazy way of doing it, like you really can't get up and pick the damn disk in. Come on now.

The 20 gb has no card reader, I knew that. I don't need it personally.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  9. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870

Yes I can see the difference.

1) I was just making the comment about how popular blu-ray is, rather than doubting its not any better.

2) I was joking about the Sony comment, I was referring to the fact his post sounded like an advert. Congratulations everyone for missing that.

10. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    Originally BC was virtually 100% hardware driven in the PS3 as it featured a physical Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesiser chip on the motherboard itself.

Then the EU version of the PS3 had, I think, the Emotion Engine removed but still had the Graphics Synthesiser in hardware and maintained the vast majority of its BC ability.

I would guess in the future they will package games up on PSN, like MS do atm ,with sections possibly rewritten to take advantage of the very different PS3 architecture from the PS2, but who knows.

11. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    All this complaining about backwards compatibility, and nobody seems to remember upgrading from NES to SNES, or SMS to Genesis...

Of course at that point in time, there were actually a significant number of good launch titles :p

12. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's different though.

None of those consoles promised backwards compatibility. The PS3 did.

13. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    glad i have the 60gb

i dont play ps2 games usually anymore but its nice to have there when i do want it

14. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Unless a firmware update nurfs that.

15. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    How about the fact that is was there, but then they striped it away from future owners. You can't complain too much when you purchase something that never intended to be BC. When it has it and they remove it for practically no reason.... it makes you wonder.

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I like my PS3 but I suspect they want to get rid of even software emulation for BC is because they want to push selling games off the PSN. Which is total crap if you ask me, that's a total MS move. What's the saying again? If you can't beat em, join em?

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    tbh my ps2 died... i didnt want to buy new one cause i heard ps3 had BC compatibility... and when it came to time i would have had money to buy ps3 there was no BC on it anymore... :p and cba buying ps2 since it looks like an arse on my telly :|

18. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Well i am mixed feelings about b/c with the ps3. I liked it because people's ps2 that have died looked forward to the ps3 to play the ps+ps2 games. On the other hand this move should have dropped the price to compete with the xbox360 and that has not happened. Right now the xbox360 is outselling ps3 in all countries. That should tell sony that it needs to do something fast or they are going to loose this round really bad. Blueray players are dropping in price fast so that doesn't stand ground now with the ps3. Basically they are taking a pounding and the wii and xbox360 are taking to them. I think sony really needs to get there ass in gear and price drop to be competitive with xbox360/wii. I know the ps3 costs alot to make but they are not making much money not selling systems.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    good thing i still have my ps2. so many games i still love on that system

20. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Yep same here i have slim line version and love it. Just need to find my high def cables for it to connect it to my 46 lcd tv. Alot of my racing games i still play on the ps2.