ps3 to lose backwards compat

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by skugpezz, Aug 19, 2008.

1. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    I have no links to this as the info is coming str8 from me..while @ work today a playstaion rep stopped by to see how the playstation section of the store was doing.I asked him a few questions....
    I asked him "how many releases are coming for the ps3", he replied "150 for the ps3, 150 for the ps2 and 60 for the psp". I then asked "is sony gonna discontinue the 40GB ps3 he said yes"....and what was shocking to me is he then said " they are discontinuing back compat on ps3 so no ps2 or ps1 play on ps3... I then said "why", he said it is time for playstation 3 to move on", we added backwards compat because they werent any games out for the ps3 but now we have games", "if someone wants to play a ps2 game they go buy a ps2", "just like a person wants to play mario or halo the get a nintendo or a xbox"..... then i said "so are prices gonna go down on the 40GB ps3" he said "no dude, it is a blu-ray player"

sorry for the english lol
    What do you think or if you find more info please post it

2. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    men, wake up.....old new since the 40gb launch and the new 80gb "core" edition

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    This has been common place in the UK for months.

4. genecrazy

genecrazy Guest

yeah the news has been around for a long time....the only reason why they did remove the BC, is because they werent profiting from it..it cost too much for the emotion engine to be implemented in the ps3s, so they removed it to make some profit...

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    All present PS3 models on sale don't have any backwards compatibility with PS2 games, only a few older models like the NA 60gig launch PS3 and the JP 20gig launch PS3 have full 100% PS2 compatibility.....the older US only launch 80gig PS3 and the EU/UK 60 gig have partial ps2 backward compatibility.....

But all PS3's no matter the model play PS1 games, and seeing as they are selling PS1 games on the PSN to play on your PS3 and PSP i don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

6. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    I think it was a good move by sone to remove backwards compability... That way they reduced the cost of the console by a huge amount which made it much more affordable. I have a PS2 for PS2 games, and PS3 for PS3 games. Though my PS2 has been collecting dust for years now.

7. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    It was a good move for the original PS3s to have backwards compatibility as at launch the PS3 library was limited especially compared to the 18 month old 360. However, now that the PS3 library has matured a cheaper PS3 without PS2 compatibility is a better option. Who buys a PS3 to play PS2 games?

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    well in fairness i bought the ps3 60gb version when i did because i heard they were getting rid of the backwards compatability. and in fairness has the price come down that much JUST because of the backward compatability being removed? i think not.

9. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    PS3 = blu-ray player. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Don't shoot me.

10. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    The price of the compnent saves them not by much but when u take how many consoles u would save that small amount on it looks huge...but I am lucky 60GB PS3 with full BC and yes my PS1 and PS2 are in a box since it works so well

11. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870

Haha agreed. I mean there's some decent (popular) games but of those I prefer the PC versions (CoD4, TF2). Resistance was pretty fun co-op tho.

Other than that there's GTA and i've heard good stuff on the internet about bad company but never played it.

I guess that raises the issue, how many people buy blue ray? Standard DVDs still look decent on a HD-TV through a PS3 - blue ray does look awesome but more expensive.

12. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    People who like the very best in digital home movies.

13. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    Now PS3 will have 160gb in Nov said Sony. it will bring a game and pain and the non b/c 160gb PS3 for $499

14. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    Haha seriously do you get commission? You must be a sony employee with one sentence posts of tag-lines like that.

15. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    i'm not a sony employee no, check my profile.

this time of the century when you go into a store and say "hi, i want the best money can get me right now" the store will say... um... yeah, blu ray and HD TV 100Hz. yes or no?

Whatever, I watched Death Proof on VHS the other month, it was perfect.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    movies on my PSP is quality enough for me ...lol
    BR will eventually take over and weed out DVD once thier cheap enough just as DVD did with VHS.
    the media companies only really want BR just cause its so big it may help deter piracy or at least some of it for a while is al their hopn for.

17. lancerz

lancerz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1GB GTX 460
    Who really cares about backwards compatibility, Its a ps3 so play ps3 games with it. Why buy it if you only gonna play ps2 games on it. Thats the whole point of buying a new system, to play new games with better graphics etc., I wouldnt even put a ps2 game in my ps3, lol.

18. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    I can see a big difference in quality when comparing Bluray vs DVD. Recently I bought my first bluray movie and I was pretty amazed... Its a whole new experience (and you dont have to be Sony employee to see that).

19. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Since i bought my ps3 i cannot watch a movie on dvd.....seriously.....is like trying to go back to vhs......great sound, great picture!!

20. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I have bad eyes and my hearing was ruined from playing music for the last 10 yrs. So the whole DVD vs BluRay is lost on me. Positional sound and a crisp picture is all I ask for.