[PS3] The Darkness resolution woes

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PHJF, Nov 21, 2010.

1. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    So I just picked up this game and I have read reviews declaring it something of a good-looking game (for 2007, anyways). Plus it's supposed to have native 1080p support.

Problem is, it looks like absolute ****, with massive aliasing everywhere. The opening car ride in the tunnel looked like something that should have come from a PS2, and hours into the game it hasn't gotten any better. Enemies more than a few yards away are difficult to discern and appear as blurry messes. The only video option the game has is gamma.

What gives?

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Best just to drop down to 720p and enjoy the game, forget 1080p totally this generation.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    the game supports 1080p but it does not natively render in 1080p

I doubt its even in 720p either

4. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    According to the minds of Beyond3D the native res of the Darkness is 1024x576 with no AA. It probably software upscales to 1080p though

5. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    So the game, which says "1080p" on the box, and which reviewers said was a great looking game, runs at a lower resolution than my PC monitor did in 1999?

****ing console games.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Don't know what to tell you. The game looked great on my 360

7. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    There are games that are true 1080p with none of that upscaling jiggery pokery on the PS3 and even 360 (Sacred 2 is a good example). If you are unsure then scroll down to the 2nd and 3rd post of this thread to find a games native res. It is frequently updated.

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Yeah that will help the OP with the dilemma.

If your trying to derail the thread by starting another fanboy Wang rubbing "my console is best" thread take it elsewhere bud.

9. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    its an old game, first games on ps3 where not very impressive looking. maybe the reviews you read are old reviews aswell. at the time it looked good. but compared to games released now it just doesnt look good anymore. I playd graw 2 couple weeks back, i remember this game used to look pretty nice. but now i just saw low res,lots of jaggies everywhere, very poor textures.

anyways on ps3 for a game that supports 1080p u actually need to go to display settings and disable the 720p option so the game will use 1080p otherwise it will use 720p. then when you are done and want to play a 720p game u need to go and re-enable 720p option in display settings otherwise the game will run in 480p mode. dont know why sony hasnt worked this out making the game run at its maximum resolution when available.

anyways theres is something you can chek.

10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The game had some issues with the PS3 version. Including poor resolution and bad frame rates towards the end of the game.
    There were updates intended to fix a majority of issues, but they were canned. Which sucks. It's a great game, but came rather early in the PS3's life... when developers were still getting used to the PS3 devkit.

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    It's common fact that when a game is multiplatform, whatever the development console was the majority of the time it will look better on that one, this one was xbox, and the most using an xbox.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Yeah it's a shame because its a good game that was let down by the complexity of the PS3 hardware and lack of tools at the time it was ported.

720p is this gen resolution, 1080p should be consigned to the bin, nice idea on paper unfortunately the hardware available is just not up to the task.

Thank you for sharing such a common fact, I'm sure it will help the OP in with their issue.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  13. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    My computer has been up to the task for ten years.

Anyways it's not like I'm some graphics whore, it's just The Darkness is totally, unacceptably bad looking. I just got my PS3 back in May and now have over 20 games, and this is the only one that stands out as being an utterly horrible-looking title. I have older stuff like Tools of Destruction that look fantastic on my 40" Bravia, but this one... holy moly. And it doesn't even RUN well, either!

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Some games are just like that, this game is one of them, plus its old, but it happens on evey platform, even the PC.

At least with consoles, you can try and ignore it, and get on with the game, when its on the PC, you spend days trying to fix it, and end up never playing it lol.

15. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    the darkness was very good on xbox360 on a decent tv.

i think the problem as mentioned is that its an unoptimised ps3 port

i have to say i have not played anything other than wipeoutHD and uncharted 2 that are good graphics on ps3, once again the texture resolution is hideous, truly embarrassing.

UC2 was amazingly well coded and it came from a company with a great track record for console graphics as did wipeout hd. both titles are basically on rails though and use clever camera tricks.

360 on the other hand always seem to have acceptable textures and AA, ive just found the scaling and actual image quality to be poor. also found the sound on ps3 to be better.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, for consistency your better off with the 360, but on the rare occasions the PS3 gets it right, it rises well above the 360.

Sound wise for sure, the best gaming sound on any system (PC included) is on the PS3, alot of the time its only as good as the others, but occasionally it excels and take full advantage of the extra storage space.

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have a PS3 and Xbox 360 but generally buy multiformat games for the latter as they tend to have better graphics, particularly anti-aliasing. Not always but more often than not. Reminds me of the Xbox vs. PS2 as the former always had better looking multiformat games too.

I've only bought Devil May Cry 4 and Burnout Paradise for the PS3 as I thought they looked and ran better than they did on the 360 from their demos.