PS3 Super Slim

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by cryohellinc, Dec 19, 2017.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i got mg hd collection and mgs classic just so i could play them all on my ps3 again, controls dated at this point, but atlest they ar 720p @ 60fps playing them in timeline order is probably better idea then number order i been doing seeing the story might might lil more sense, I start to play mgs 2 and remebered why i didnt play it more then once I was never fond of raiden, and i still not sure how he became what he is later.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, i initially had a 60 phat model and PS2 games looked smeared, for a better word, and certainly if you don't have a CRT but have a LCD TV with a component cable then that and a actual Ps2 is the way to go.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    In those cases, it's easier to emulate PS2 games. Hell, in a couple of years we may be able to Emulate PS3 without any issues.

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i have tried emulation and it is so so at best, and in my personal view a ps2 with a hdmi adaptor is the way to go, as i have just ordered one from ebay, and if it does as well as the wii hdmi one that pops the wii up to 720p, and what a difference that makes to wii games, then i will be very happy. :)

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    upscaling to 720/1080p vs actual rendering at those res are 2 diffrent things, which all hdtv do even if your using component/composite is flat out ugly and make my eyes cry, Which is why cant bring my self to play any of ps2 games on hdtv anymore, I rather have the 1080p+ rendering with glitchs here and there vs upscaling that happens on all hdtv reguardless of it connection., of coarse you have to have pc not some 100$ potato laptop/notebook

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well via the wii component my TV only shows it as 480p and does not upscale, nothing wrong with that though, but via the wii HDMi adapter it is upscaling that 480p to 720p, and i have to admit it is almost identical to the Wii-U playing the same Wii games in picture and colour quality, so it was well worth the £5 price, and so i am quite willing to give the PS2 one a try for the same cash, i mean it can't really be any worse than component anyway, so it is worth a pop.
    But we will just have to wait until somebody invents a 60in 480p CRT that you can hang on the wall that weighs 1 gram and rolls up when you are done. lol

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    480i/p all look like crap to me when up scaled to 720/1080p. I want you eye's or your brain:p, which ever is making you think upscaling is anything but trash

Upscaling say 1080p to 2k insnt that bad compared to 480i/p to 720p/1080p mostly cause 1080p has way more pixels to work with.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    There are plenty of YT videos on the subject, but here the worst to best ways visually to play Wii games....
    Composite. (480i) Terrible once your old CRT died.
    Component.(480p) Now that is better.
    Wii to HDMI adapter. (480p upscales to 720p) Again that is better.
    Wii-U. (480p upscales to 720p/1080p) Best possible option assuming you have a U.

None of these will make any wii game look your playing them on a GTX1080ti at 4k, but it's the best option picture wise and the cheapest solution to what we have, i will let you know how the Ps2 one comes out, looking forward to seeing GT4 at 1080i via it. ;)

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is the think i dont thing they make them look like they looked on crt even if it scaled they make it look worse imo.

GT4 @ 1080i ps2 look like 480p the game was upscaling to 1080i and doing bad job at that too. Which is why i never used that mode.

Like said can has your eyes and brain? maybe then i play some of my old games with out my eyeball trying to run away !

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Well i never had a CRT that was 55in, biggest crt Tv i ever had was a 32in Samsung flatscreen HDTV and the geometry screen issues on it were out of this world, and you needed the Hulk to move it. lol

But this is the best we got, but really you need to see Mario Galaxy 1/2, Pikmen 1/2,Mario Kart wii, Super Mario bros, Wii sports resort, they all look fantstic upscaled to 720p on a LCD.
    Here is a component/wii2hdmi video that give you 4:3 and 16:9 comparisions.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    been there seen it , i need nintendo to make console that isnt totally dependent on first party game and there hardcore fans. normal controller too ,m iss the good old days when Nintendo was console to beat, and had all the good games and best consoles. mario this mario that is not my cup a tea anymore. and Zelda and Metriod and what few other games they have wont bring me back to them. I wont invest in console i wont use, cause there no game on it i want to play

Back in the day i have 19" CRT and there blacks perfect compared to most LCD/LED and the reponse time was in the nano seconds not milli seconds so they had no motion blur cause by the tv short of it was going bad, I miss it if had the room i would hook it back up and my svideo/composite/coaxial consoles again, every now and they i try to hook them up to my lcd/led tv and each time 5 min later i am like nope i cant do it. I will stick to emulation I can altest make it look exactly like it look on CRT or better.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Erm.....ok, i suppose. :confused: lol

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I felt that the Super Slim was very cheaply made vs the Slim. I though of Jailbreaking my PS3 to run PS2 games on it but I do not risk getting my PSN account banned so I decided against it. But I like the idea of the manual open and close feature of the disc tray like the PS1 had because if anything went wrong with the Slim or the Phat PS3's drive where it wouldn't accept discs any longer then you were screwed pretty much out of playing any Physical releases of games.

I'm with you there that Emulation is easy and it doesn't take up any extra physical space just storage space on your PC or Laptop. Heck with some of the filters that the Emulator has depending on the Emulator I can make the game look like the system with an RGB setup via the European SCART format.

I'm With you there that it's easier to emulate PS2 games. Thanks to Free McBoot it's now there is legal way of getting the PS2's BIOS. Heck with the games that can run @4K the Graphics look very pristine and clear. I tired my hand at PS3 emulation it's not too bad but you are correct in saying that it's years away from being very good. Also right now currently PS3 emulation is hit or miss right now it depends on how good your system specs are.

14. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    On Metal Gear Solid 4 Screaming Mantis while trying to shoot the dolls and the last level, was severely tilting. Moving the sticks was either super slow or too fast. There was never anything close to nice stick tracking like the PS4.

So much deadzone with the sticks on Metal Gear Solid 4. :(