PS3 limitations held MGS4 back

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by skugpezz, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    There is always something "bad" about every thing in the world. Nothing is perfect.

But what is your point? MGS4 looks amazing and runs nicely without FPS drops. Of course it could be better with better specs, but can't it be said for everything? A car would go faster if it had a better/bigger engine. There is always room for improvement! However you cant call such thing a "problem", because such problem doesnt exist! If there would be FPS drops, that would be a "problem". If the console would crash while playing a game, that would be a "problem".

Regarding uncompressed audio.

Considering that we are in the "high-def" stage, its not just HD video that is important, but also HD Audio (uncompressed audio). Normal people wouldn't care, but those who have decent audio systems (with AV receiver, 7.1 speaker set-up etc) is important. To those people, a GAME (not a film!), that supports high quality sound is fantastic! Bluray disks allow more flexibility for the developers, and to include a lot of data on the disk. If a developer has the ability to make his game BETTER in any way, shoundn't he chose to do so?

Regarding your comment about the CELL being maxed. If Kojima lied/mistaken that he used 100% of the CELL, this would actually be good news, as it would show even better games can be made!

P.S XP-200 is no PS3 fanboy. believe me :p

2. Shex

Shex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GeForce GTX 970 HOF
    That's like saying if your best friend says your ret*arded, i'm going to believe him untill proven otherwise. Why don't you just give it up, your last thread was closed because all did was copy and paste one topic from one forum to another, just to stir things up and get people flaming each other :rolleyes:

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    So what about all your topics on all the positive aspects about the PS3....It play games, its a BR player, Its free online play, you can cheaply add your own third party HD, its read a plethora of third party devices via USB, you can stream to and from it with your PC...were are all your posts on the positive aspects....so were are they then.

If your going to start throwing all these article up then i suggest you actually get a PS3 and play the game, i have the game and even though i don't like it simply due to the cut scenes and in game movies i have to admit that the actual gameplay is stunning as is the whole game.....Of course if you had actually played the game you would know that, instead of trolling the net looking for trolling material to post.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I love you too.....group hug everybody...:bunch::grin:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    none of your points about the ps3 has anything to do with gaming as it is a console....you and jxl are fans

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    As apposed to posting topics from another forum and adding no comment or discussion to said topic and then disappearing......what points were you making by copy and pasting links with no comments from yourself...........I definitely smell troll.

Oh course we are fans, personally that's why i have a PS3, that's why i bought a 360 just after launch and that's why i own a PC....because i enjoy them all.

I mean really how can you call anybody fanbois after the stunts you pulled here in both threads........You should just give the trolling a rest or at least keep it on the other site......

Of course if you actually have anything of interest to say on the original topics that you dumped here then by all mean lets hear it, because so far all you have accomplished in these threads is making yourself look like a big flaming divaesque troll.

6. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    nor do yours as you haven't made any.

7. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    skugpezz: I think you should read the definition of a term "fanboy"

Now from this definition, you will notice that in fact nobody has made "fanboy" comments apart from yourself (consistently spreading out of date topics).

Explaining the preference of a console is not a fanboy comment. Saying "360 SUCKS, PS3 0WNZ" would be a fanboy comment (refer to the thread, and please quote anybody who showed a complete disregard to any one console in a bad manner).

I think this discussion should end... Close of topic anyone?

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is no surprise really. A lot of games are held back by the consoles.

Call of Duty 4? HD? well, real HD? Ever heard of Phantasy Star Online? The game had the best visuals on Gamecube, despite the game being ported to xbox which is a stronger console, to PC as Blue Burst and being able to use high resolutions. The effects were real on the gamecube version, but most effects when ported from gamecube to xbox were emulated, or broken, which in turn these effects that are broken or emulated on xbox, or broken or emulated on PC on BB.

9. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    I think any console would hold Hideo back he envisions way more than any hardware could ever offer

Thus with my thinking the way you worded the title seems as a slight attack towards the ps3

but I could be wrong

10. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Well you could say PS3 held MGS4 back, still that just apply to almost every game, especially the AAA titles. Same for all consoles and for PC. If the developers vision of a game does not fit within a certain box, that vision will be limited in some way. Hideo Kojima might have overestimated the since of the box when he started on the game, yet that is not unusual for developers.

But did the limit of PS3 hold the true MSG4 vision back ? Judging from reviews and players feed back, not at all. So in whatever way the PS3 limited MGS4, no one could tell, and that is all that matters really.

Great artist / craftsmen that take pride in their work, usually feel they could have done more. If Hideo Kojima had more time, more recourses and even better hardware, of course the game would be better, that is just too obvious :)

11. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    april 2008 is outdated? http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187351
    go do your research and you see why ps3 held mgs4 even though it is a great game..from what I have read the cell was better off being in a pc than in a console..sony planned to make the ps3 without a gpu and ran to nvidia the last minute and alot more....and please I am not bashing just trying to understand the 3 consoles..and why we have to wait until 2010 for the next god of war?

12. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    You cant make a 3d machine without a GPU...

Even if the SPUs are doing the 3d work, its still classed as a GPU....Just like larrabee....its a cpu...and gpu...CPU/GPU..

Saying the ps3 held back a game is a pretty stupid statement....

You can say that about ANYTHING.....

Example...1...2...3. ...and so forth

The PC held back Crysis
    The 360 Held Back Gears of War
    The engine Held Back a Car
    HTML Holds back this forum
    9 classes in tf2 held back ..tf2...

Seriously Stop pointing out the obvious.....Anyone can make something that is beyond a Certain things capabilites....You gota live with it..And complaining Does nothing.

The cell better of in a PC????

The Cell IS in a a PC...Just the PS3 uses it aswell.

I think you should go do your research before posting exact copies of stuff and not knowing what your talking about.

13. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    it is obvious you dont know what you are talking about.... no developer said pc held back crysis..no developer said 360 held back gears of war..but this man was expecting way more it seems...the cell isnt in a pc it is in a console..the stuff cell is used for else where it is wasted in a console..having a net loss of 3billion and it took 2billion to develop the cell isnt called doing well

14. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    You should do your research before you start things about the cell processor.
    http://www-03.ibm.com/technology/cell/systems.html
    This shows you that the cell processor is being used in blade systems for ibm(servers). IBM is doing very well with the cell processor only Sony is taking the hit from it not IBM. Remember IBM made the cell processor not Sony's PS3. As for restrictions yes even Grand Turismo 4 for ps2 had limitations cause of the system itself. But the game still looks fantastic and runs great. The only real limitations of the ps3 is the amount of ram it has. 256 of the fastest ram known to the world right now is not going to give you the ability to run games at high fps with aa/af cranked up. Plus it is going to take producers longer then a year or two to max a system out like the ps3. Sorry it took along time for ps2 to be maxed out and it will take awhile for either ps3/xbox360 to be maxed out.

15. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    skugpezz

Dude, saying i dont know what im talking about and not even knowing IBM Made the Cell, and ARE using them in pcs.

You just make flame bait threads, and have achieved your goal by continuing to post about stuff you are unfamiliar with

16. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    lol!!!..who didnt know that ibm created the cell? dont make me laugh...imb isnt losing any money though sony is....... an didnt I say the cell is being put to use else where?..learn to read

256MB of fastest ram but still cant push even half of the bandwidth the 360 can... last time I checked madden is running @ 30fps on ps3 and 60fps on 360

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  17. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    He was expecting way more thats why.

He also said he didn't know the true final specs.

But if you ask me, the first trailer which i believe wasn't running on ps3, is nowhere near as good as the final version graphically.

Sorry but for me, there's only a few companies who are upto speed with cell&rsx.

One of them is naughty dog.

On the subject of 360 gears, all lighting was baked.

Gears 2, some is baked, alot is dynamic apparently.

I read about how the programmer from heavenly sword said, gears is alot of bumpmapping, it's easy to do, but not everyone wants to go for that art style.

or something to that effect.

either way as long as you have great looking games, that are playable and really enjoyable it really shouldn't matter.

18. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    Last time I checked, madden was not the most graphically demanding game on either consoles, and was developed by EA, which at that time were mass-producing sh!t games without any optimization (developing on 360, quickly porting to PS3 and expecting great sales). You cant expect a game to run well on a console if it wasn't made for it!

However EA seemed to get the point after millions of people started making a fuss about their lack of respect to developers and giving them ridiculously-short deadlines to push the games to be finished (which in reality they never were finished - hence performance issues and many bugs).

19. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I think if we ignore his threads then we dont have a problem do we guys?

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^^I was until you said that.....:grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.