Prototype Smartphone Battery Charges in Half a Minute

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    First graphene, now this - amazing!

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Awesome, more battery technology that gets announced and then is never heard of again. I'm pretty sure we've had about 10 game changing new battery technologies in the last few years, yet here we are with it still getting worse and worse each year.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's not getting worse, it's getting better, but you don't see the benefit of it because devices are getting more and more power hungry, so the crappy old battery that used to last 7 days in your bog standard phone seems better than the 3000mAh battery that only lasts a day in your smartphone

But put that same 3000mAh battery into your old bog standard phone and you wouldn't need to charge it for a month or more

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    That's pretty obvious tbh, I clearly didn't mean that they are literally thinking lets use an even older and worse battery technology that we used last year.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Quote:

"yet here we are with it still getting worse and worse each year."

Wrong, it is getting better and better each year

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Battery life, not capacity, although that's not actually increasing hardly, batteries are just getting bigger as the devices do.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was replying to you saying Battery Technology is getting worse and worse each year - which it is not.

Life, yea, but that's not the batteries fault, it's the power the device is pulling increasing faster than the technology we have for battery capacity

EDIT - And the manufacturers caring about weight and thinness over battery life

Personally I'd prefer a thicker smarthphone with great battery life, than a thin one with crappy life

9. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    If im not mistaking we are still ising the same batteries as we did 15years ago..

10. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    If it wasn't for licensing, patents and safety regulations to blame for the most part this type of tech would have been with us today I think.

11. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Admittedly we have seen a lot of battery technologies posted here that never seem to get picked up in the mass market. But i assume that it was because even though it showed promise, it may have been fragile or even dangerous.

These batteries here look great, but in the end it's about capacity, number of charge cycles, that kind of stuff.. Who wants a battery that charges in 30 seconds, but can only be charged a dozen times? Might be good for a vacation, or a photographer, but end the end, we need batteries with hundreds of charge cycles.

And then we have to face the whole charger vs battery price. A charger the size of a laptop? that... might be a bit much, since it would cost a bunch too no doubt.

12. Interesting, charging quickly is one thing, its the actual length of on screen battery life that needs to be increased really but hey this is still great news and will make our lives a lot easier.

btw thats an S3 not an S4 lol.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well if this is a new technology that charges in 30 seconds, what's to say it can't do that millions of times? It's not the same technology we're using now, so might not have the same limitations

15 years ago you had to charge your battery to 100% and discharge it to near 0% otherwise you ended up with a phenomenon called The Memory Effect or something similar, for example if you constantly charged your phone when it dropped to only 50%, after a while, 50% was the new 0% and you just lost half your battery capacity

We use a different combination of materials to create the battery now, so that doesn't happen

14. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    We will be needing really thick wires, and a nice house wiring, because let´s say a 3000mAh battery will be needing at least 360A to charge in 30 seconds.

But a few years ago there was a new technology for lithium battery's which was silicon nano filaments/wires for the electrodes, that increased battery capacity by ten fold. Where is that?

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I am in a fairly unique situation where as I have basically all my phones I've ever had still, so just had a quick look and the oldest one I have to hand is a Sony Ericsson T68m from 2001, so 13 years old, that uses a Li-Pol battery which has no memory effect and are still used in a lot of phones today. More phones use Li-Ion now, but that's just because it's cheaper, the two types are very similar.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    According to Wiki it was certain NiCd and NiMH batteries that had that issue

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Yeah it was, but I don't think I've ever seen a mobile (cell) phone that uses them (a lot of house phones do though), they're normally used and still are for AA, AAA, consumer replaceable ones with external chargers. I've got older phones, but they're in the loft so can't check atm. Got one from the mid nineties.

18. Dubski35

Dubski35 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 Boost 1150mHz
    mA-h is a rating of capacity and not power, or the rate at which work is done, or energy is transmitted.

360A would correct if we only had a 4V supply.

My Note 2 Battery is rated at 3100mA*h or 11.78 W*h. Let's make is 12W*h for easier math. 12W*36000 / 30 sec = 1440W. It's quite a bit but we have PC power supplies with that rating. We also have microwaves rated at 1200W. All these things are plugged into your standard wall outlet. However, I don't see manufacturers allowing the consumer to play with such a high output chargers.

USB 3.1 suppose to have a maximum rating at of 20V 5A (100W). I suspect if these batteries come into market, we would see roughly (1440W/100W * 30 sec = 432 sec) 7.2 minute charges which is still MUCH better then what we have now.

Where I really want to see these batteries be used is for cars. Most notably the Tesla. As long as they have a lifetime of Lithium Ions or better, have similar capacity, and don't weight much more, they could make electric cars much more desirable to purchase.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  19. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    And also the 3000 mAh battery is larger then the old flip phone, so have fun putting it in something it's larger than without the aid of Doctor Who.

PS: I am shocked and dismayed to find out that this forum does not have a TARDIS emoticon. I propose that we relentlessly bug Hilbert into obtaining such a emoticon. Thank you and good Guring (is that a word?)

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I just got rid of my last NiCd power tool at work worst battery technology ever.