Proper way to unistall sound drivers in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Kev1, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Kev1

Kev1 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX960 4GB
    I'm finally upgrading my sound card, and would like to know the proper way to remove the audio drivers from Windows 7.

I did a forum search and Google search and really didn't find anything other than using device manager and the uninstall software feature. As I remember some sort of driver cleaner was necessary for a really clean removal and install.

What I am trying to do is replace my trustworthy but ancient Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with a Sound Blaster Z. Microcenter has the retail version with the mic on sale now for $69 dollars which was lowest price I have seen, so I bought it.

Any insight on the proper way to do this would be greatly appreciated.

2. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    When I upgraded my Audigy 2 ZS to a Xonar ST, I used Driver Sweeper and CCleaner.

First, I manually uninstalled all Creative applications, then the driver, through Add/Remove Programs. Always Reboot when prompted. Then I used Driver Sweeper in safe mode. Then I used CCleaner to clean any leftover registry entries. After that, you should be thoroughly cleaned.

3. Kev1

Kev1 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX960 4GB
    Thanks Heymian. I'll do exactly that. I'll also double check my bios to make sure my on board sound is off, which I'm pretty sure it is.