Proof: Something is wrong with ATI Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by The General, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    System Specs: Intel Pentium III, 90watts, Visiontek 2400 HD PCI, 600MHZ, 512MB.

Game tested: Stranglehold 1024x768 , 17-26fps. Video Skips a bit, but actual gameplay is very smooth. Drops to 14-17 when shootout happens, but goes right back up to 21-26 when walking around or just taking out one bad guy.
    [​IMG]
    Get 18fps in this screenshot. :)

Game Tested: Alien vs Predator 2 2001 game 1024x768 everything on Ultra High = 50fps at one point, but drops to 4-10 when turning around or when looking at certain textures, but goes back to 50 in other spots, but drops to 4-10 again when turning around, very choppy.

I blame this on the missing openGL extensions. I don't believe this is bottlenecking, i think its those damn ati drivers. :bang: I was told and i use to believe that the 2400 HD line of cards were crap, but if i can play timeshift and stranglehold this smooth while other games run like crap, well i say its a driver issue.

What do you think?

Note: In AVP2 using my Geforce cards, i have that sort of problem where i would get 70fps, but it drops to 30. So as you see, it could be that XP doesn't work well with old games, but using a Nvidia card with forceware drivers the performance improves. So i get 70-30, where as in ati i get 50 to 10. hmmmmm

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    Wipe everything, install drivers test games. If your computer is as ancient as it seems then there must be a lot of crap accumulated. Maybe the 90w PSU has to do with it... I don't see how much there is to prove considering well, you can't prove anything with today's hardware.

3. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Your computer is ancient. The video card is the newest thing, and it's very low-end. What do you expect? Drivers don't work miracles, they just tell the hardware what to do.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Lets mix new hardware with old hardware and expect it to be the best thing around!

5. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Well yea i have notice that, new hardware, new drivers does not work correctly with slightly older games, not all , but some. Which is shame, so i guess its not directly a driver issue, its kinda like 50/50 i guess. With Nvidia i have more choices tho, because with my 6200 i can use some new drivers that works with old and new games.

With this Visiontek 2400 PCI card, i am limited to 8.3 and up. But if ATI would of never remove about half of their extensions in the new drivers , then alot of these problems wouldn't exist. I am not buying another ATI card until i buy my new secondary computer, i planned to buy the Diamond 4870 or whatever, so i hope they improved by then. I plan to buy my secondary computer early OCT, 2008.

Anyways, Peace.

6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    not 50/50...more like 10/90

its your hardware :)

7. demowhc

demowhc Member Guru

GPU:
    3*HD5850 Tri-CFX 850/1150
    LOL more like proof your pc is a piece of shiit... its not the drivers.

8. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Well games like Stranglehold, and timeshift, all work fine with my ATI card. Even some old games work fine, there are just some old games that don't work. Obviously its the drivers, not my card or my CPU.

Stranglehold runs smooth on my rig, but games like AVP2 or Unreal GOLD runs like crap on my ATI, but amazingly both those games runs perfectly with my Geforce 6200 using forceware drivers.

hmmmmmm, they run great with my 6200, but suck ass with my ATI card?
    Not a CPU problem, a driver issue.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nope, it's very much a CPU and memory bandwith issue. Your ATI card requires much more from your PC than an old 6200 as it tried to render more advanced stuff your 6200 coudn't. And it needs help from the CPU to do so. That will result in exteremely low framerates at critical points.

Sorry mate, but the PC is too outdated for that graphics card. It's like riding a motor-cycle on a bicycle track.

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    lol yeh smooth :S

11. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    Are you seriously still using a Pentium III 600Mhz? And you think your issue(s) are video drivers? Even when AvP2 was new (2001) that CPU was ancient. OMG
    Not only that but the HD 2400 is newer than the 6200 Nvidia card.

Wow, just wow.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I hope you seriously don't expect P3 600MHz and a HD2400 (and even this is a PCI version!) to run new games?! HD2400 only excells in HD video playback and nothing else.
    AvP2 even though old is still very demanding on hardware when using full details at reasonable resolution. To play games reasonably well you really need at least CPU thats like 2,5GHz old gen and at least 1,8GHz today gen) and something from GF6600GT/7600GT range... oh and 1GB of RAM minimum...

13. EnIgMa2k2

EnIgMa2k2 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD4850 512MB
    ok, A: why would you go spend money on a HD 2400 when u only have a P3 600mhz cpu... you might as well saved your money and then went and bought a new pc for $400 seriously. within saying that im really suprised that you got it working on such an old system, my words of advice time to buy a new computer :)

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I can proof its your hardware.

Where did you get that parts!?:p OUt of museum ? :D

90Watt PSU , does that thing exist ? :D

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I also fail to see this as an OpenGL extention issue, as AVP uses D3D to render. In fact, the engine used was Lithtech Talen, which was a decedent of Lithtech 1.0 which was supposed to be an engine use for when D3D came out (but the deal fell through).

16. Thunderball

Thunderball Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870+Twinturbo Pro
    Stranglehold runs smooth on your system ?
    I highly doubt it. 17-26 fps is not smooth at all.
    I think it´s time to upgrade to a monster Pentium IV :moon: . Then you´ll see some smooth gameplay haha
    Lower your resolution to 640x480 and maybe you will get like 25fps average if you´re not moving (just kidding).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  17. AXS

AXS Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 4800 UPCC
    Same problems with Crysis on a Pentium II + GTX 280 - all this after spending hours by adding a PCI Express 2.0 slot to that great Intel motherboard. I'm sure it's nVidia's fault for releasing crappy drivers...

----

No offense but you're systems not built for 3D gaming: Quake 1 might work but hey.... since that configuration was released some spend thousands of $ on Upgrading to keep up with games. Your CPU is low end even for 2001, 7 years latter you add the lowest end card with that ancient CPU and put the blame on drivers... Honestly, at first I fought it was a joke...

Hope you don't intend on combining a low end Pentium 4 processor with that HD 4870 cause you'll be back with another topic complaining about drivers...again. :whip:

18. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    Perhaps the OP is just fkin' with us and ROFLing at the reactions. If that's the case well nice PWND.

19. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Have you seen some of the reviews for the 2400XT and normal 2400HD in AGP & PCI-E format?
    If so, there are people who have the PCI-E version of the 2400 HD PRO and 2400XT and even tho the 2400XT is more powerful then the normal 2400HD PRO, when playing Fear, Bioshock, with those cards, people get the same type of fps i get. Infact, one person who has a more powerful computer then me, when playing Bioshock got 12fps, funny thing i get 15-18fps. hmmmmmm
    In fear with my 2400 HD i get 28-42fps at 1024x768 everything medium to high. In Crysis, even tho unplayable with both cards, no read carefully:

" My 6200 OC 256MB card can play Crysis better then my 2400 HD card "
    hmmmmmm

What? HD2400 only excells in HD video playback and nothing else.

I have to wonder are you right, because i get the same fps in certain games maybe more in this PCI version, as the same when people use the PCI-E version. So if the 2400 line of cards, only does HD video correct and gaming suck, well then its possible the 2400 HD card is worse in performance then the 6200 or Diamond X1550. :wanker:

That is smooth, for my rig and to me. Hell, more people wouldn't even attempt to play that demanding game on a PIII, give me some credit man. :banana:

Incorrect! Why? Well when i was using Windows98SE using my Radeon 7000 & Radeon 9250 and my FX5500 i played AVP2 at 1280x1024 everything at ultra high and i got 49-51fps Max!

With WindowsXP, using my Wonderful BFG 6200 Overclocked 256MB PCI card i at 1024x768 everything on Ultra high i get 30-70. This is when using newer or slightly newer drivers, but using older drivers the game is running at 43-69.

Again not my CPU, its a driver issue with ATI. :biggun: or the 2400 line of cards really does suck. I still think its a driver issue/opengl extensions or whatever, because not every game i own using the 2400 is bad. Most of my games works just fine with it, just certain games have issues.

20. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    Stranglehold Minimum Requirements:
    CPU: Dual Core Processor
    RAM: 2 GB RAM
    Video: Nvidia 7800 or higher / ATI x1300 or higher

Your cpu and ram is WAY WAY below minimum specs for that game. All these other people have given you great advice and the truth is your system is really outdated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.