Proof of 8800 Vista driver?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by JerseySeven, Jan 8, 2007.

1. JerseySeven

JerseySeven Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 8800GTX
    Excerpted from http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070108/nym071.html?.v=66:

"Consumers can see this technology in action in the Games for Windows booth at CES with the NVIDIA GeForce 8800, the first DirectX 10- enabled discrete video card to hit the market, powering demos of "Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures" (Eidos Interactive/Funcom) and "Crysis" (EA Partners/Crytek)."

Note: although the article is all about DX10 and Windows Vista, it never really states that these demos were running on Vista. It seems to imply that this is so, however.

2. ManOnFire

ManOnFire Member

It is possible Nvidia are screwing us and there will never be a Vista driver. Nvidia developed this cunning scam over the last 5 years, the highlight of the scam was to release the 8800 series 3 months before Vista release and then never release the DX10 driver thereby causing irreparable damage to young culprits who trustingly put there hard earned money on the 8800. :booty:

- Naaaaaa, i think there will be a Vista driver - heading downtown to buy a XPProSP2 with Vista upgrade included.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  3. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    Well Microsoft did push a Vista driver for the 8800, via the Update service, but I would be surprised if MS did not have the 8800 Nvidia drivers.

The moderators at the Nzone forums have mentioned that they are using the drivers, and everything is working just fine. Only problem is Nvidia will not release them until 1/30.

4. Swootech

Swootech Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GT OC
    No reason to be surprised :) - MS is currently using driver versions 100.30 and 100.50.

5. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    But are the .3 and .5 versions fully functional? I.e. if I were to install Vista, and use the update drivers, would my 8800 have full functionality?

6. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    I'm sure they spent billions of dollars into development of G80 PCB and forgot to consider making a driver. :p

7. HDFatBoy2003

HDFatBoy2003 New Member

Maybe I misunderstood but I'm not finding the 8800 driver available through Windows Update for Vista.

"Well Microsoft did push a Vista driver for the 8800, via the Update service, but I would be surprised if MS did not have the 8800 Nvidia drivers."

8. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
  9. HDFatBoy2003

HDFatBoy2003 New Member

Thanks, but as far as I know the 97.46 drivers don't cover the 8800 series cards.

10. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    You are right.

11. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    670 FTW 2048 eVGA
    if I rember right DX10 was a work with MS ,NV & ATI so there ought to be a driver heck vista has not even be release to the public yet
    the RC has but there not going to fix that they what you to buy
    the finish product think about it

12. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    Perhaps the version showing up on the Update is for everything but the 8800s.

13. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Yes they will have drivers which testing partners will also no doubt have, they will not be ready for public consumption, probably won't have an installer will be buggy as hell and will probably crash/BSOD everytime you try to do a whole bunch of things. Only people who can aprecaite that they're testing very early betas and have the computer skills to use them will be fit to use them.

If they were released to the public all we'd hear is "OMFG no installer" "how to install these?!?!?!??????" "Wah these crash all the time!" etc etc etc

Which is why they're not released, they will be released when they're finished.

14. raphie

raphie New Member

Driver on windows update is NOT i repeat NOT a 8800GTX driver

15. carlo247

carlo247 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+ SLI
    don't blame Nvidia, blame Microsoft!!!

16. raphie

raphie New Member

Why? you think Nvidia is under NDA because of DX10 launch?

17. Digitalfiend

Digitalfiend Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS
    That would make no sense considering developers have DX10 available to them already. Yes that includes Joe Schmoe Developer (aka me, et al). I doubt you will see any DirectX 10 games on Jan 30; I'll go as far to say that we won't even see an 8800-series driver from nVidia until February. I wonder how some of the NVIDIA PR spin-doctors that frequent these forums will explain that...

18. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Driver support is bad for new OS's, always has been. It takes time to get things right and you can't just force out new drivers without causing more problems.

In this case with the new API, DX10 and the large differences in the way the GPU works it's enough to mean that new drivers have probably be written from the ground up, rather than just a simple upgrade of previous drivers.

19. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I'm so with you on this BUT there is no point in debating it anymore. It's obvious that Nvidia are waiting till the official CONSUMER launch of Vista (Or very close to it) to release drivers for the 8800. The whole marketing/PR scam that has been perpetrated by Nvidia is dispicable but as the R600 launch is now looking like March/April, Nvidia is in the drivers seat. I'd like Vista drivers but I've given up any hope of seeing them before the 30th of January.

E

20. xgman

xgman Master Guru

GPU:
    8800gt
    I blame them both, but right now hate nvidia just a bit more. actually quite a bit more.