Project Scorpio Supports FreeSync 2 en HDMI 2.1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    This is bad ass....! I never thought that in a consoles' generational push that we'd see this type of "output" from one....

Very exciting indeed. Now if we can only get them "options" baked into our browsers/streaming services to choose which resolutions we want to watch things at. Albeit an up-scaled version of 8k6hz, or a 4k 120/60hz as opposed to just being forced to watch what they allow you to watch. No options on my PS4 Pro to select any resolution other than what it defaults to.

Not to mention Netflix has done themselves a solid with their updates in the past. Not allowing you to even see what resolution is being streamed when before you could easily press the R3/L3 button (can't remember which one it is) and you could see what resolution and audio you are "currently" streaming at. As I like to see what res is being displayed when I see a degradation in quality. What can I say.....They got smart.....I guess....

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Maybe it's just me but I haven't seen any tearing on a console?

But this is pretty awesome none the less that AMD pushed this with Microsoft!

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    It's nice and all, but I'm more interested in PS4's exclusive games than Xbox. Let's hope this forces Sony to make a "Pro+" or something.

5. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Doubtful

I highly doubt the new Xbox will have the power to offer much at 4K/60fps. This seems like a bunch of bunk coming out of microsoft. Will it be more powerful than the newest iteration of PS4? Yeah, but not 4K/60fps on 100% of titles 24/7. It will probably play high framerate 4K videos at 60fps, but not games with any high level of graphic details. No way! I'm crying shenanigans on this one.

Also, is anyone seeing any televisions out there with FreeSync yet?

6. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Agreed.

Which the Xbox One S can do just fine as it is.

Not sure. But I'm guessing there will be in time for the Scorpio to be released. One could also connect the box to a FreeSync monitor, of course.

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I've yet to see any HDMI 2.1 or freesync TV's out there, guessing maybe we might see them at the end of the year. though i guess they will be rather expensive since it will be new tech... Scropio is going to be an expensive purchase for many to get the full use of it

8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I cant wait for Scorpio, have loads of games waiting from when i had xbox one..

cant throw my cash at Microsoft quicker enough for this system :D

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    xbox is not really a console i would wanna own, but damn it IS impressive

10. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Finally ! a console that actually raise the bar.

11. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I only used my PC for gaming, then I ended up more into bench marking, more than i did playing games, this in turn led to me upgrading hardware more often and more bench marking than actually playing games on the bl00dy thing lol

It was like I was stuck in an never ending circle of upgrading and bench marking lol

got rid of my gaming PC Now i just play games again lol

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dont confuse scaling to 4k and actual rendering of 4k, they are not the same Xbox one S does not render 4k not got gaming anyway, it upscaling

I am excited to see things using HDMI 2.1 though, eARC and 4k+ support here we come. I wont buy new TV or AV-Receiver till 2.1 HDMI and eARC are standard.

Freesync in HDMI is a + well providing your not nvidia users seeing they said they wont support it,, thought i dont know how they cant support something that part of DP1.3 and HDMI 2.1.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    So let me get this right. You had hardware that could let you either play games or benchmark but you ended up benchmarking so you sold that to get other hardware that could only play games but not benchmark so now you ended up playing games.

Aight.

This isn't a chore, you know. You don't have to play or benchmark. It's a luxury.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Same here. Maybe they could do 4K @30 fps. I could see some sports games like Madden for example 4K 60 Fps.

15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I was wondering wtf as well not much logic to what he said:3eyes:

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    All this talk about "4K 60FPS", and when the thing comes out I bet the vast majority of 4K games will be locked to 30FPS.

Publishers always preferred going with higher graphics details rather than with a higher frame rate. Why would that change now? They will use the extra power to raise the graphics, not the frame rates.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah but they'll still "waste" a generation pushing to 4K. The biggest issue was that if they continued to target 1080P and just push visuals higher, GPU's in PC's would never really reach the point where 4K would be the norm. But now that 4K is the target for consoles it's going to stall the visuals (more complex shaders/poly counts/etc) for a bit.

Also from what I read it seems like the more competitive titles, the COD's and whatnot - will operate at a lower resolution, like 1080p but obviously run at higher framerates. Which seems like a decent compromise.

18. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Luxury lol more like obsession lol like alot of people on this site ...