Project Obsidian Red [Build Log]

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by MikeMK, Jul 19, 2011.

1. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Hey guys, thought I'd start a new thread to showcase my latest project. First of all a bit of background...

Some of you may remember myTJ07 project which evolved over 3 or 4 years and finally ended up at the end of 2010 looking like this

At the beginning of the year when I was planning my 2011 build I decided to retire the trusty old TJ, as it was looking a bit rough around the edges and go for something different... so I took delivery of this lot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The MIVE really is a beast of a board:

[​IMG]

However, the build has been set-back by a few things, including the P67 recall & more recently the EK corrosion problems, meaning I havnt got as far as i would have liked

That changed last weekend, when I finally had chance to start with some of the tweaks and mods ive been wanting to do. The ultimate aim is to get a dual rad, and possibly even a dual loop set-up into the obsidian, like I managed with the TJ. To start with though, ive just done a few minor mods to improve the look of the build.

Before I continue... my trusty old TJ will be making a comeback later in the year. My brother in law (AlecMK on the forums) has aquired it from me and has big plans for it that I hope to be involved with!

Anyhow... first thing first!

I want to keep the clean brushed look at the front of the Obsidian, this meant I had to change a couple of things... Firstly, my Matrix Orbital typhoon display need a new faceplate/mounting bracket to fit in with the look, and because the existing one wouldnt mount securely in the case. This required a bit of thought:

[oh, and while i remember credit to AlecMK for the modding photo's, and help over then weekend]

Display in its original Bracket & a spare drive bay cover:

[​IMG]

Stripped and taped, ready to go:

[​IMG]

I used the old Orbital bracket as a template:

[​IMG]

Then I dremmeled along the template to create the display opening:

[​IMG]

As you can see dremmels dont create the cleanest of lines, so a little patience and some hand filing was required to finish it off.

[​IMG]

To mount the display, I chopped off the male screw threads from 4 motherboard standoffs and screwed them into the displays PCB mounting holes:

[​IMG]

A little araldite applied on the bottom of the standoffs to glue it into the new faceplate/bracket. This means i can still unscrew the display from the faceplate if I needed too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The (nearly) final mod ended up looking like this, which im quite pleased with considering it was all cut by hand. Im going to get a black touch-up paint pen to go around the silver edges just to finish it off at some point, but apart from that its given me the look I wanted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Next on the hit list was the DVD-ROM drive, which also wasnt condusive to a nice flush front. A stealth mod was required to hide it. Again I used one of the Obsidian face plates, chopped the sides off it, and trimmed it. Then using a piece of card and some double sided tape, stuck it to the DVD drive tray.

Now you see it:

[​IMG]

Now you dont:

[​IMG]

Both mods together:

[​IMG]

Lastly, i needed a fan controller that would fit in with the look of the case. Its pretty hard to find brushed aluminium fan controllers with a red display, and almost went down the route of modding my old skythe fan controller when i came accross this:

[​IMG]

irritatingly the display was borked on the one that arrived so its had to go back to OCUK for replacement. Hopefully I'll have a new one within the next few days.

To finish off for now, I've also re-braided (again! I'm a glutton for punnishment) by hand my PSU to reflect the black & red colour scheme, as well as making up up few of my own cables such as extra long molex's to help with tidy cable routing:

[​IMG]

Thats all ive got time to post right now, but I'll post back with pics of the main build in the next day or 2.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Cant wait to see what else you got coming man!

4. Cyberjackal

Cyberjackal Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GF GTX 570's SLI
    Wow... nice bud :thumbup:
    Can't wait for more

5. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    Love Obsidian builds;) gone be checking on this daily so get the photos rolling ;)

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nice Mike,i know this will be good,however i rate the TJ07 a better case than the Obsidian,you can get more in it,Radiator wise,quad and a triple with no modding down the bottom!

Anyhow all the best with your new build:)

7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Thanks guys, I'll post some more pics later!

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I have that fan controller aswell, it's really awesome. Specially that you can change the colors of the text :D

But the responds is pretty bad when you change fan speed.

9. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Yeah, it kooks great. Only slightly annoying thing is that the brush is the opposite way to the front of the obsidian. Anyhow, OCUK have done a great job with my RMA. Posted it Monday, and new one arrived today. Just installing now!

10. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    Sweeetttt!!! :)

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Lamptron now installed:

[​IMG]

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sweet job so far.

13. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Thanks mate. Well Ive rebuilt the pc now, temporarily as I'm not gonna have time to do the rad mod for a few weeks and I need my Pc
    Up and running during that time. When I get back home tomorrow I'll get some decent pics of how it looks currently.

14. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    As always Mike your builds are stonking!!

Question what temps is that Lamptron Reporting, im looking at getting a new fan controller as my Zalman only offers 7w per channel and i have two fans on each channel so its probably taxing it, may end up getting that Lamptron but blue.

15. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Thanks Matt, glad u like it!

The lamptron isn't reporting any specific temps in those pics. The sensors were just bundled behind the controller.

BTW that fan controller can display in 8 different colours (including blue), which makes it v.flexible.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Heres how it is right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far so good. lookin fwd to finishing the mods though, and the lighting needs tweaking!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nice clean professional job:)

18. van_dammesque

van_dammesque Member

GPU:
    BenQ XL2410T, 970 s
    Nice, I am looking to watercool my setup with a Obsidian.

I might pinch your DVD idea! One question, how do you open the drive without commands from the OS?

19. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Thanks m8.There is a small bit of card stuck to the back of the cover, so all u do is touch the bottom right-hand corner.

20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Ok guys, after a fair old break from PC building/modding (Kids!) I have managed to continue with my obsidian project and get to work on some key mods I've been wanting to do since I bought the case.

Objective of Phase 2:

1) Mod the case to fit a second (240mm) Rad to enable a dual loop set-up.
    2) Additional airflow added to support 2nd Loop.
    3) Install a cover for the bottom (PSU) section of the case to hide cabling PSU etc.
    4) watercool my new HD7970's to quieten them down (damn their noisy when they get going!).

So, key components for my loops are as follows:

Loop 1:

Liang DDC 18watt pump with Petra Top
    XSPC RX240 Rad
    EK Supreme HF CPU Block
    EK Multi-Res 240

Loop 2

XSPC Bay res/Liang V5 Vario combi
    XSPC RX360 Rad
    2x EK FC7970 CSQ Nikel/Acetal GPU blocks
    EK CSQ Serial SLI/Crossfire Connector

So, first of all, I decided to install the 2nd rad in the bottom of the case, and needed to create a template which turned out as follows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also prepped the GPU's and got the nice new EK blocks fitted (which look much nicer in the flesh than in pictures I must add):

[​IMG]

Next, its on to some modding, and figuring out how to fit the rad in. The drive cage at the front bottom of the obsidian had to be removed, which was a case of drilling through 4 rivets at the front and then grinding down 2 on the inside edge as I couldn't get a drill to them:

[​IMG]

They actually came out in two pieces!

After transferring my rad template onto the bottom of the case, the next thing to do was to cut carefully around it. I used a combination of a jigsaw (for the straight edges) and dremmel (for the corners):

[​IMG]

And here's the rough-cut rad hole before filing and adding trim:

[​IMG]

I'll add some more pics a bit later!