Project: Defiant

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ShortAlieN, Jun 3, 2011.

1. [EXC]NaNthor

[EXC]NaNthor Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 8800GT G
    so the white thermalpad covers nothing??
    Why the heck put a heatsink there??

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    Yeah, it seems like a waste to me as well. I might get a UD7 just to make good use of the water blocks... then again, probably not.

On a good note: GPU, coolant and tubing should be showing up soonish, like within the next couple of hours.

Edit: Tube, coolant and sleeve are here! Now I'm just waiting for UPS to show up with the video card :bounce::bounce:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  3. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    OK! everything showed up! I'm amazed. I cant believe everything showed up today.

Did a few quick benches with air and an H50

Before water P7800

4. LordJummy

LordJummy Master Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    sweet bro! pics or it didn't happen!!!!

5. [EXC]NaNthor

[EXC]NaNthor Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 8800GT G
    UD7 has a lot of coldboot trouble in some cases. and it has an nForce bridge chip to ensure the PCI-E slots to have both 16 lanes....but 8x is also enough, so I wouldn't see the big advantage of the UD7 over the UD5. Ok, you get a second LAN port and some more connections, but that's it.

6. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    Testing to make sure everything works proper.

[​IMG]

And now I'm leak checking... and starting to work on some sleeve. Going to be a long weekend.

[​IMG]

7. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    OK, well no good camera so I took a few shots with the crappy camera again. But I got it... "done" It will be getting a bit more work, but at least all the major parts are in under water and looking extra sexy. I'm very pleased with the progress so far. There are a few things that will be added later on, fan grills, probably some more acrylic to clean it up a bit and really need to get a SSD. I'm pretty much tapped out and tired of being broke so I will probably wait for a couple of months before I buy any more parts for this money pit. It feels good to get all the water cooled bits in place though. Its sooo quiet.

Made an acrylic mounting plate for the pump. It will get some finishing touches later on.

[​IMG]

And of course you know this poor innocent victim.

[​IMG]

Yay TIM...

[​IMG]

Ready for the Ball :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have found that one of the hardest parts for me is always deciding on loop order. I always want it to look good, but I also want it to be as efficient as I can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a whole bunch of wire management, I don't recommend this if you want to get a build done in a timely manner, but it looks soooo nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little work with some lights can go a long way. :bounce:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. swISS

swISS Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980 Ti
    Damm.. I really like the white/black. Nice!

9. ah1zghost

ah1zghost Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 960-4G
    Awesome post, thanks for sharing. :)

10. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    No, thank you for checking it out. This build is turning out really well. no telling what the future holds for it :)

[​IMG]

11. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    Finally changed the fluid out. Looks better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. LordJummy

LordJummy Master Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    Beautiful bro!!!

13. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    OK! Finally!

I hope everyone had a Happy and safe holiday season and New Year celebration.

After finding some things for this rig that were previously unavailable I was really happy to add to this thing. Though it was pretty nice before, it just didnt have the little Extra that I like to add in. The new radiator was the best thing that I couldn't wait for. It seemed like forever before anyone had them available, but as soon as they were I had to jump on one. Now when I first opened the box I was pretty scared that this beast was not going to tuck inside the bottom of the case, but fortunately for me... it fit perfect.

[​IMG]

It took a little finesse and just a touch of mill work. I needed a drain port.

[​IMG]

It turned out pretty well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that was the easy part... To get the radiator and fans in place in the bottom of the case I had to remove the filter boxes and do a little mod work on the hard drive cage. After trimming off two of the five drive slots I made a new aluminum plate that was a simple slip in and lock in place. I covered it with some white 3M Di-Noc, made a couple of acrylic panels and covered them with the white Di-Noc as well to give the interior a bit more a "personal" touch.

[​IMG]

Now the painful part was having to re-do a whole bunch of my wiring. I made the top hard drive slot a Hot Swap bay so that drives can be easily changed out when needed and the other two are arranged for backup and program files. After some new sleeve and adding few new wires and removing a few old wires I was finally happy with what I had to work with behind the motherboard tray. It is not quite "perfect" but it is pretty damn good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thing that probably took the longest this time around was trying to figure out how to do the lighting in the case this time. I picked up some new white LED strips and placed them in some discrete locations. A little bit of sleeve finished them off, even though you dont get to see much of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course everything tucks inside and out of the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sooooo... its "done" for now.

Until I cant contain myself and decide to get something else for it... or sell it and make a x79 build

15. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    I really like that lighting, I'm looking to do a similar lighting setup. What kind of lighting is that and can you post some pictures of where you mounted them?

16. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    They are just some 12v LED strips that I picked up in the automotive section at walmart. Nothing to special, but they can be cut down to strips of 3 LEDs and have new wires soldered on. They already have some good tape on them that allows you to remove them without hassle if you need to. There are cheaper and better ways to do it though. NewEgg has some long strips of LED's that you can pick up for pretty cheap and cut them down to what you need and hide them away.

[​IMG]
    If you look closely in this picture you can see a few of the LED's I have in the system. There are four strips of three LED's in the pump area, three strips of 3 lighting the Di-Noc, one above the reservoir, one on the back of the 120mm fan on the top, one behind the fittings for the radiator on the top, 2 on the bottom of the power supply and one on the bottom radiator near the fittings.

I never took pictures of the LED's prior to install or even after install so I'm pretty limited on pictures of them.

17. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    OK, so my rig is not good enough to win Rig of the Month... Who has ideas to make it better so I can finally get this thing on the front page?