Project: Defiant

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ShortAlieN, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    Productive weekend? I say yes.

OK, well I have been working on sleeving....forever. Got a few new parts, pieces & fun for the whole family. Have been working on the PSU. I must say, "OUCH" my fingers are in great pain and, well the sleeve is turning out great though. It's taking a bit of time but time is about all I have.

[​IMG]

I got a nice little box of goodies Friday after work soo.... I ended up staying up late :)

With a little bit of bartering I was able to get the majority of my parts and be able to really get some work done on this project.

[​IMG]

First thing to do was get everything open and do a bit of bench testing. I'm not really sure, but I think I like it. Check that, I like it.

[​IMG]

Was not sure on the RAM, but it's growing on me.

[​IMG]

But of course...

[​IMG]

After some random parts being thrown together I did a bit of bench testing. Not familiar with the Gigabyte bios, and not familiar with the 2600k overclocking yet, but I'm going to get it over 5.0 soon... if I ever get the power supply done.

[​IMG]

So after making sure that everything works properly could handle a bit of load testing It was time to strip it back down and get some water blocks in place.

After removing the heatsink from the motherboard it left me feeling somewhat... empty.

[​IMG]

The new cooling solution was quick to fill the void though. :banana:

[​IMG]

With the CPU block in place... board was fitting nicely.

[​IMG]

After mounting the board in the case I worked out a temporary loop to play with.

[​IMG]

I'm a bit excited and really want to play with the new toys, so I set up the loop and used some coolant I had.

[​IMG]

I like the green coolant, but it doesn't really fit well with the build. I might also change the tubes to a different color, but for now I'm gonna play with it a bit.

[​IMG]

It's good to have some hardware in place finally. I need to get some more sleeve and the video card, and... well a whole bunch of other stuff, but it's really starting to come together. I have some new ideas to work with and a shiny new idea in my head. Need to get some more sleeve though, only have a little more to do and well, I cant believe I used up that much sleeve.

With the sleeve about two weeks out I have time to work with a few design mods and little bit of painting. Eventually I'll get the video card and the loop will not look so... odd. At stock the CPU idles at about 28 and 45-47 under load.

2. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    ShortAlieN, all I can say is just WOW;) really impressed with your work, I hope my build is gone end up half as good;) the delivery guy should be here in the next hour or two, after that im going to bed, ive been up all night binning and benching;) and in the evening party time with the new toys;) keep them coming bro, your an inspiration;)

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Great stuff,although you may struggle with that case if you want to go a dual loop later on,still looking good though:)

4. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    Thanks Khalam, can't wait to see what you have coming up. Probably will not be setting up a dual loop any time soon in this rig. It should work well for a while, but I hope to replace most of it when the 2011 chips come out.

I did forget to show off the mounts a friend of mine made for the res. He is a machinist so they turned out no less than perfect.

[​IMG]

I'm sure that I am forgetting other stuff that I have done recently, but I think I got most of the important things. Anyway, good things.

Edit: One more quick one cause it turned out to be a good pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

5. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    soooo, i was playing around and :D

5.3ghz

6. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    nice clock bro, what was the actual voltage? because if the cpu z is correct ill give you a 1000$ for that chip;)

7. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    lol, i wish. 1.6vcore was as high as I was willing to go. 5.3 was as high as i could get it to be stable.

8. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    I got the power supply back together, but my good camera is currently unavailable... Anyway, I had to mod the case for it a bit to fit all the sleeved lines, also had to remove a few of the ones that could be replaced with modular ones. sleeve adds a lot of mass to the wires... but it looks good.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Will take some better shots when I get the good camera again.

9. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    Still no good camera ATM, so I'm working on a few small mods. Ran into one problem though..... Anyone know where I can get some White Acrylic? seems impossible to find.

Had this made :)

[​IMG]

What's a proper rig without a proper label?

10. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon

11. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    Finny you are my savior. Thank you very much.

12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti coming!!
    Dude great work on the PSU there, takes a lot of time and effort to do that!

13. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    HOLY MOLY! It has been a while since I have done an update. But it's summer time... who can blame me.

[​IMG]

:gape:

OK, so I promise I have been doing something other than playing... mostly work actually :(
    If it has not been on the computer, it's mostly been on the new place and of course regular work, the kind I actually get overworked and underpaid for.

The new garage has slowly been turning into a pretty good workshop, but it's a slow and expensive process. Hence the slow proceedings on this project. But no more! I need mah geek time.

Unfortunately though my stoopid camera lens is still not back, but hopefully it will be here in time for the weekend. This weekend is shaping up to be a good one, as long as everything arrives according to plan. In preparation I got the radiators and fan painted up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made sure to mask off the fins on the radiators so that paint does not inhibit the cooling more than I already have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the NZXT power supply in, but have not gotten the rest of the cable sleeve done. One of the weekend projects.

[​IMG]

I removed all the blocks from the motherboard when I drained the system. With the stock heatsinks back in place I can make sure to test everything when I receive it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well the crappy camera died and I dont really feel like buying more batteries for it. I was unable to get all the pictures taken that I wanted and am unable to show you some of the other things that I have done. If all goes according to plan, which it never does, I should have a grip of new stuff to work with by this weekend. As I type this there should be a few packages in route to me. Included in these packages are a GPU, more sleeve, hopefully a camera lens, coolant and some fresh white tube to get everything in proper working order.

It's going to be a busy weekend between all the work needed to get done on the computer I am also going to a Volbeat concert on Saturday. Sunday is pretty much dedicated to the computer though, if I'm still amongst the living :beer:

14. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    looks sweet!

15. LordJummy

LordJummy Master Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    Looking good. I just grabbed a rv02 bw for my next build as it was on sale for $76 :p Best deal ever.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Love the cable braiding and rad colour,nice job:)

17. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    should be a productive weekend so keep an eye on it.

Jummy where did you pick up that case for $76?! that's a smokin deal.

18. LordJummy

LordJummy Master Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    Fry's had an insane clearance deal on them. They put them on sale for $101 with a rebate to make it $76.36 :D

So sweet.

19. [EXC]NaNthor

[EXC]NaNthor Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 8800GT G
    maybe a n00bish question, but what chip sits under that heatsink on your picture here:
    [​IMG]

I know on the UD7-board it's an nForce bridge chip to ensure 2x pci-e16X.....
    (of course I mean the chip right above the PCI-E slot and not the intel southbridge)

20. ShortAlieN

ShortAlieN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX
    no chip, blank space. I was sad to discover it as well :(