Profile for different Program versions with same name

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Daniel Mrawek, May 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Daniel Mrawek

Daniel Mrawek New Member

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super
    Hi

I use RTSS for Prepar3D.exe, a flight sim. Today I wanted to create a separate profile for the new version 5. So adding an new version, pointing at the new Prepar3D.exe did not create a new profile, just let the old remain. I realized the older 4.5 and the new 5.0 have the same .exe file name. They are in different directories but RTSS does only check filenames I think.
    Could this be changed in future? Either the RTSS checks the path for new profiles or the fileversion of the .exe, not only the name.
    Regards

Dan

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

No, it won’t be changed.

3. dezo

dezo Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    As a fellow programmer, can I ask why? This seems to be such a simple change - it can be done by checking the paths (even partially), exe versions, exe dates, exe sizes or whatever other attribute you like, just to separate profiles with the same exe name. I understand you are saving profiles by exe name, but this can also be changed by automatic indexing or unique id added to the file name or something like that. Or you use the exe name as is now and simply save more profiles into one file. And while at it, why not allow users to modify profile names instead of just using the default exe names. The thing is that the exe names can be pretty cryptic sometimes... Please don't get upset...

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Because he said so.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Because it will break whole profiles database structure and potentially slow down startup of EACH process running in the system. Just because one user wants so. No go, sorry.

6. dezo

dezo Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    I understand, thank you anyway.