Problems X1950Pro - Vista Ultimate 64

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PieterToo, Mar 1, 2007.

1. PieterToo

PieterToo New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 512Mb
    Since i am new here, and after thoroughly checking if i could find this somewhere else in this forum, i decided to give it a try.
    After installing Vista Ultimate 64 and Catalyst 7.1 my Vista logon screen rolls. I can enter my pasword, and then all seems okay again, for about 5-10 minutes. Then i got all small dots, grouped in 5-6 dots, all repeated over my screen.
    The same happened when uninstalling the 7.1 drivers and installing the 7.2 drivers.
    I have an AMD X2 4600+ with 2GB of ram, and i have a Tagan 450watt power supply. In Win XP Pro I do not have any problems with the card. Anyone any clue as to what can cause this?
    I have 6 HD's on Sata, 2 DVD-burners on IDE and 1 HD on IDE, and an external HD via USB2.
    My mainboard is an MSI with NForce 4 chipset, all running perfectly under XP. Also my mainboard and graphics board temperature are around 40C, so nothing special.

2. rick5127

rick5127 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950 Pro AGP
    My first guess is your PSU. That certainly doesn't look to be enough to run the card much less all the equipment you have there. I wrote a guide about installing the Sapphire X1950 Pro AGP card and have a whole section about PSU's. Hope it helps...

http://www.ricklafay.com/sapphire_x1950_pro_agp_card.htm

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  3. joeyjojojjjjjj

joeyjojojjjjjj New Member

maybe the PSU or and this is just a guess you card has a defect you did not notice in xp. The reason i say this is because Vista if im not mistaken vista runs in a 3d mode. If you are playing games then you are moving all the time and may not notice artifacts but in vista you gfx card is in 3d mode and your just sitting there so to speak. You may have had artifacts all along. Btw is your gfx card overclocked?

4. PieterToo

PieterToo New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 512Mb
    My card isn't overclocked. Just as it was from the shop. Just installed it and it worked flawlesly in XP.
    Any idea about the rolling in my login vista screen?

5. joeyjojojjjjjj

what do you mean rolls? Do you mean like a tv does on a scrambled channel?

6. Jamie_W

Jamie_W Member

Look around the threads...lots of people are having the same issues with the 1950 cards. Just use teh default driver from Windows Update rather than any cats and you should be fine.

7. joeyjojojjjjjj

I have the same card and i run vista too. Im having no problems at all. Im using the cat drivers from the ati website.

8. joeyjojojjjjjj

Ok i was right about Vista running in 3d mode all the time. When i installed vista its default theme is Vista Areo this means that you card it kicked into 3d mode all the time. Try to set your theme to Vista basic and see if the problem goes away.

9. messerchmidt

messerchmidt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 7900GT @ GTX
    if your running a nforce4/4/5 based board with an ati card in vista, you WILL have problems