Problems with Windows 10 update: After Users System Restore - Windows 10 Won't boot

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 21, 2019.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Debian for stability for a POS point of sale.
    Antergos closing shop, man this took me by surprise. But I am somehow distro agnostic by now, so thanks for the tip.

2. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    chispy likes this.
  3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    From the article that Heavy posted:
    This makes this such a none issue. How does one properly access System Restore differently than this? It is just a matter of individuals needing to learn how to properly use the software they are using.

4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Thank you for pointing that out so that we can skip this update until microshaft fixes this mess of updates again :/ ...

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I work on rhel, my personal notebook runs xubuntu and my 2nd boot on desktop for projects runs Fedora.

As you can guess from x-ubuntu, I run everything on XFCE4 and lightdm.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Haha well not necessarily. I run XFCE at work, LXQt on my gaming PC, and KDE on my laptop (and no UI on my server). I primarily stick with just Debian and Arch, maybe Ubuntu if I'm dealing with quirky ARM hardware. I use different CPU+GPU combinations between all my devices too, and I try to use a different programs like web browsers and accessories wherever possible. I do all this to keep me on-edge. Can't show much bias or get lost when everything you use is different.

Fox2232 likes this.
  7. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Amusingly enough that would have Microsoft adopting the same policy I've been using since XP. :)

Experience taught me the quickest and most efficient way to fix Windows issues is format -> fresh install. I did try and faff about with restore points and self-repair for a bit but that inevitably fails and end up eating up a lot of time that could have been used for a reinstall.

YMMV.

Fox2232 likes this.
  8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    I just checked Control Panel/Programs and Features(not shown) but checking Settings/Windows Updates/View Update History and i have two KB4494441, one installed on the 14th and one on the 15th of May.

I also think it's been updated since then because my Version number is now 17763.504 and not .502 or .503 like it says in the article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4494441/windows-10-update-kb4494441

I find it strange that both times kb4494441 installed successfully. I never suffered any issues from it mind you but it's still weird it's listed twice on two different days.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    This is far beyond sad at this point. But thank god i didn't booted up Win10 in a year or so.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    ROFL... MAO. The irony of that is just...

It's enabled by default and automatically creates restore points without asking you. So it's not niche. It's actually the common case.

Yep. For 8 years now, I only use my Wintendo installation for games. That's all it's good for. Everything else is taken care of by little, happy Tux. My bootloader's menu looks like this:

Code:
    1. Linux
    2. Wintendo 10

Last edited: May 23, 2019

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Best abbreviation ever. :D

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thats not how updates work on the OS, connection lost equals graceful abort.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    My system restore is Aomei Backupper. Never failed yet.

14. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Exactly the same for me as well except mine still says .503 o_O

15. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    My LTSC 1809 is at 17763.529 ( KB4497934 ). Didn't have any problems with the latest updates other than it breaks Alcohol 120%...again. Not sure who to point the finger at for that though. I keep Windows Updates completely disabled via registry though and fetch and store the cumulative updates from the "update catalog" for installation at my discretion...

Don't know if this 'registry-file-toggle' works on non-enterprise versions, but works great for me. You can copy/paste into text files renamed to something like WU-Enabled.reg, WU-Disabled.reg, and have a quick double click on/off toggle.

Windows Updates Disabled:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "DoNotConnectToWindowsUpdateInternetLocations"=dword:00000001
    "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "UseWUServer"=dword:00000001

Windows Updates Enabled:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "DoNotConnectToWindowsUpdateInternetLocations"=-
    "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "UseWUServer"=-

If it works, and you check for updates, you will see this glorious sight!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    That's now three custom rigs updated, no issues during or after updates. Apart from a blurry log in screen, what did this update actually bring?

Also, and this will probably get people to throw little tantrums and be all brave having a dig at me over the interweb but, are those people having issues the same people who gut right under the bonnet of the OS and make many changes via the registry?

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I use system restore on very rare occasions. Sometimes there is a seldom reason for using system restore. Like you installed a piece of software that is causing blue screens of death and you can't use safe mode to uninstall it that is where system restore comes in. I have used System restore successfully in the past to fix issues. There is one time where System restore messed up my Windows install and that was because of a virus. But you are correct in saying that the average user wouldn't use System Restore.