Problems with overclocking my cpu.

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Zapmaster, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    My cpu really does not seem to wan't to be overclocked,it's an athlon xp 1800 (1533 mhz) and the speed its runing right now is 1.6 ghz.If I go any higher than 1.6 the pc will simply get very unstable (3D Mark 2003 and 3D Mark 2001 can not finish),some games work others dont. I've seen people online overclocking the exact same cpu as high as 1.9 ghz,I know that it's very unlikly for me to reach those speeds (especially since my cpus multiplier is locked) but it would be nice to get to athlon xp 2000 speed at the very least. I have a Vulcano 9 ,so heat shouldn't be that big of a problem and the cpu is Palomino core. Any tips sugestions would be welcome.

2. Treblig

Treblig Nigeri Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
    You may wanna bump up the Vcore in BIOS a lil more to see if that helps . It could be your memory also so don't jump to conclusions about the CPU . Is you Video card overclocked when you OC the CPU ? In your BIOS if you can OC the FSB for the CPU and keep the Memory at the same speed . Good luck .

3. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

Is that chip a palamino or a tbred?

If it's a palamino, don't expect too much of an o/c.

As best as I can guess, right now you're running at a multi of 11.5 and a fsb at 133 = 1529.5mhz.

If you've got memory that can handle it, try dropping the multiplier and raising the fsb.

Of course, you'll need to lock the pci and agp at 33 and 66mhz respectively, (if possible) or they'll definitely limit your fsb speed.

I've no clue as to what multi's are available on that mobo, but ideally, you'd want to shoot for a multi of 9.5 and a fsb of 166 = 1577mhz, that should be well within reason for that chip so long as it's getting sufficient voltage and cooling.

GL:)

4. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Thanks for the replays guys here some stuff I found out.

-I have no idea how fast my memory is or the maker of it (only thing I know is that it's 256 DDR ram),is there a utility to find this out?

-In the BIOS there is an option "CPU/Memory friquency ratio" ,unfortuantlly I have no idea what it means, avalible options are: Auto,1:1,4:3,4:5. Which one should I chose to keep my memory clocked at its speed when overclocking the cpu,and what do those numbers actually mean?

-I can change the cpu multiplier in the BIOS but once the pc restarts it just hangs ,does this mean that cpu is locked?

Thanks in advance.

5. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Comon guys,I am having a real hard time boliving that many gurus that hang around these forums can't answer those questions.

6. Blue Raptor

Blue Raptor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Crucial 9700 Pro
    my bro had a 1800+ tbred and we got it to 2100 spec with one notch vcore and a FSB of 120/240Mhz and that ran sweet

7. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    ARRRGGHHHH ,Will someone answer my questions in the 4th post from above.

8. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

1. Try Sisoft Sandra, it'll tell you how fast your memory is running.

2. I think you'll want to run at 1:1, or leave it at auto..

3. If you change the multi & it hangs, the cpu probably isn't unlocked, or maybe needs more voltage.

What kind of mobo is it?

Did you raise the v-dimm?

What voltage is the cpu running at?

:p

9. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Thanks for the replay,heres some stuff I found out.

1) Sandra says that my memory is runing at 166 mhz (which i take means 266 since it's DDR)

2)I tyred mesing with those settings with no luck

3)My mobo is Asus A7S333 with max 266 mhz fsb,and unfortunatly it does not have an udjustable vcore ,I have no idea what v-dimm is do or where can I find it.

10. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    Isn't the VCore voltage setting on the same 'page' in the BIOS as the multiplier and FSB on Asus mobos??

T-Bird1400@1606
    A7A266DDR
    512Mb PC2100
    GF4 Ti4200 128Mb
    XP Pro/SP1+Mandrake 9.0

11. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    May as well be,but ,my mobo does not have adjustable v core,if only I could figure out why the pc hangs every time I change the multiplier,sigh:(

12. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    And the VCore isn't changed by jumper on the mobo itself no??

13. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    I have no idea, Could I actually change the vcore by messing with jumpers. If this is posible ,could I get instructions on how to do this?

14. syntax_error

syntax_error Make it So

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 3850
    How old is your CPU? Do you know if it's an 0.18m Palomino or 0.13m Thoroughbred? You may not be able to get much mileage out of a Palomino...Tbred is another matter...especially if you have a Tbred-B. Anyhoo...

These control your memory speed by ratio to your CPU speed. If your CPU speed is at 133fsb then:
    CPU:Memory
    1:1 - your memory speed is 133 (ddr266) 133/1=133 --- 133*1=133
    4:3 - your memory speed is 100 (ddr200) 133/4=33.33 --- 33.33*3=100
    4:5 - your memory speed is 166 (ddr333) 133/4=33.33 --- 33.33*5=166

If your memory is running at 166mhz then you are running DDR333 (166*2=332). If you have your setting to Auto, then you more than likely have PC2700 (DDR333) and the speed is being set by SPD. Set your CPU:memory to 1:1, this will make your memory run at 133mhz (DDR266), syncronous to your CPU (FSB). There won't be much if any difference in performance, but eases the stress on memory if you want to OC.

V-Dimm is the voltage to your memory, but since I've already advised you to set it to 266mhz operation, adding voltage isn't necessary.

I've looked at the downloaded manual for your mobo, there aren't any V-core adjustments...this board isn't made for OCing.

What is the default voltage of your CPU? You can find this from your BIOS under Power-Hardware Monitor.

I did this 'wire mod' to my KT3 Ultra board where I took two strands of speaker wire and 'jumpered' two sets of holes in my CPU socket to get my default V-Core from 1.5 (my KT3 Ultra2 only offererd +0.1v increase) up to 1.75. Look here. Do This At Your Own Risk!!!...otherwise it was fairly simple.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the positioning I used for a default of 1.75v. There is a positioning for a default of 1.85 (or more, I think), but you will have to read the thread for more info...my eyes are getting buggy now (4:24am :sleep: ). Reading through the whole thread is pretty interesting anyways. Depending upon how much default you are already running, you may need to modify the mod.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2003
  15. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Thanks Syntax, really appricate you going thru all that work for me,I would try the mod ,but what I dont get is why does my pc freezes when I change the multiplier even to a lower setting (for example if I go bellow 11.5 ,the pc will hang once it restart,same will happen if I go up).
    This is why am a bit skeptical of trying the mod as there seems to be something wrong with my mobo,I mat as well get a better mobo soon.

16. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    i have the same prob with my XP1900 i only got it to 1723 or something like that...